Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hel performance are not the only player in town but they are as good as things get in performance and race brake and clutch lines.

Turns out they never did a set for the Desmo as I found out when making enquiries the other day. Long story short they would like to make lines for this bike and I'm going to provide them with the OEM kit to do so.
They of course will then offer them for sale. I've broached the idea with them that I may be able to drum up some interest amongst owners here for a discounted group buy. If I can show there is interest then I can discuss what they will do for you regarding discount.
Given that Ducati recommends the lines are replaced every 4 years and I doubt too many have done so then let me know if this interests you. They won't be silly money. A set for a 999R for instance runs at UK £59.99 but I am aware that the US Dollar is in the shitter right now.

benefits of braided lines Benefits of Motorcycle Braided Brake Lines

I'm also in discussion with another company regarding performance bolt and fixings kits for the same bike but that's another story for another time

Edit:// Just had a mail back and they will offer a 25% discount based on a usual price of £29.99 per line and could possibly offer more if there is greater interest ( I think he was working on the idea of 3 sets at that discount price )

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't mean to be rude but I'm going to bump this as I have just a few days to answer.

Check out their website. Many colours are available for braid and fittings. These would be classed as custom bespoke. Create Your Custom Brake Hose | Custom Brake Hoses

I believe that Ti is also available as a material.

if i can get 3 or 4 of you it's going to be a guaranteed 25% off, more if I can get more. They can ship or i can buy and ship ( at your cost )

But if it's not of interest then let me know so I can just get the sets I have asked for completed.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
what is there to be interested in? The only drawback to the stock setup is the goofy looping line thing. It's more or less implied you plan to have the new lines built to that spec. Besides, real men build their own brake lines. :p

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is there to be interested in? The only drawback to the stock setup is the goofy looping line thing. It's more or less implied you plan to have the new lines built to that spec. Besides, real men build their own brake lines. :p

Not really sure the point of that to be honest?

Yes there is nothing wrong with the stock setup but it's 8 years old. Ducati recommend changing the lines every 4 years.

Hel Performance provide brake lines to the superbike racing industry at the highest level. They don't offer an off the shelf option for the Desmo. They would like to do so so that's why i'm doing this.
I don't care if anyone else has any, i'm not paying for the ones I get but i was offered an opportunity to pass on some discount for Desmo owners if there is an interest.
I just thought it would be a courtesy to mention it here.
If you can make your own then well done on having the tools.

Kinda sorry i mentioned it now.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Steel jacketed teflon lines don't need to get changed every four years. That's a carry over from the old rubber line technology. If you want to commission some individual lines or a single line with a T fitting, I can see the point. The OEM configuration is lame. It makes it nearly impossible to get the right caliper off if you're running the stock 330s. Look at the AMA, BSB, WSB, and GP grids. See that loop line on anything? I wonder why not.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I agree that they don't need changing so often especially on bikes ridden as little as some Desmos yet it clearly states that in the manual. Which is why I mentioned it.

You are offering constructive criticism now. I have the opportunity to influence the design as these will be bespoke lines and the fittings are optional. be nice if you could describe in detail what you would personally suggest or like to see as I could get a different set made that might be more suited and that's win win for all if they offer them as an option for other owners.

It's just a bit time limited. i'll look like a dick if I mess them around ( although they did approach me, rather than vice versa )

·
Registered
258 Posts
Zoot-

I agree with Desmo that the plastic covered/stainless steel wrapped brake lines on the Desmo would normally not need to be replaced very often. I feel Ducati is looking at the liability for the few owners that ride year round or are clumsy when changing out the front tire and kinking the hose causing a weak area.

There used to be a big problem putting the "track only" steel wrapped/teflon lines on cars that were used year round on the street due to fine dirt and salt getting through the weave and abrading the teflon hose to the point of weakening the hose. The solution was shrinking plastic hosing over the braided hose to prevent the dirt and reduce the chance of kinking. This is not a cure all and I think if you go to Earls or other braided hose supplier's they will state somewhere that "These lines are designed for off-road use only"

I also agree with Desmo's thoughts about the three line setup that now seem to be the rage- over the single T or the double line setup. It is indeed a pain to remove the right caliper with the double banjo stack up. For the that reason I had SPIEGLER make up a T style setup for my track bike. I do not remember the dimensions I gave them off hand. You give them length and the banjo fitting design you want. If I was to make another set I may pick banjo's with different angles but my banjo angles are not too far off so I never had another set made.

Here are a few pictures in bad lighting to give you an idea of the T set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
I always thought the standard set up (looping line) is used because it makes it easy to bleed the brakes. Essentially its a single line.

The average punter does not have brake bleed pumps etc that are generally need when you have two lines running from the master cylinder.
Even the T set up would be difficult to bleed properly without a pressurised/vacuum system.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I always thought the standard set up (looping line) is used because it makes it easy to bleed the brakes. Essentially its a single line.

The average punter does not have brake bleed pumps etc that are generally need when you have two lines running from the master cylinder.
Even the T set up would be difficult to bleed properly without a pressurised/vacuum system.
Why would individual lines or a T fitting be any harder to bleed or require special tools? If anything the loop is a high spot for air to accumulate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Zootcadillac. Did you get the new lines made and if so was it a "T" style or a copy of the Std set up as I wish to change my lines to a "T" setup to make it easier to remove the front wheel. I would be interested to know if HEL now have the lengths. Glenn

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zootcadillac. Did you get the new lines made and if so was it a "T" style or a copy of the Std set up as I wish to change my lines to a "T" setup to make it easier to remove the front wheel. I would be interested to know if HEL now have the lengths. Glenn

No. The lack of interest shown meant I just could not be bothered. That and a number of personal issues mean I've not even got the old lines off the bike yet

·
Registered
449 Posts
Look in your local directory for an industrial supply place that offers hoses and hydraulic lines. Any place offering that service can make up what you want. Many will do it while you wait and generally quite inexpensively.

Take your OEM lines with you so they can see the proper ends to use. If you want alterations from what you hand them, have measurements as to what you desire.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Make your own. Simple nuts and bolts technology. Earls and Goodridge sell all the bits. Don't mix and match. Stick to one brand. All the fittings interchange but the olives are different depending on the brand of hose and the length of the banjo bolts will match the depth of the fittings. Most of the new stuff comes with swivel fittings. I prefer the static ones. They let me get a twist on the hose to conform to the exact routing I want it to follow. Tip: Pre-thread the bolts with fittings and without washers into the calipers and master cylinder to measure for adequate gasket crush. Some Brembo bits have shallow holes and you may need to trim the bolt. Also pay attention to the thread pitch. It can vary from the M/C to the caliper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts