Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy 2010 1198 with full leo at 3k mile. My question is it had a modified stock that was gutted and was flashed for it. full leo was installed at 2kmiles without any retune. Just wondering if that seem ok? Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
seems odd if you ask me. ECU should have been flashed and tuned... but then again, I only ride bikes and let professionals wrench on them :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Might not be what your asking. kind of hard to decipher. I am going to take a crack.

I own a a 09 1198. I have full Akra's install @1000 miles with a re-tune of the stock MIts ECU.
By Doug Lofgren. It runs great the stumble that's @ 4k rpm's is now @3k's. and the pop-pop after decel is gone.
If it was re-tuned by the right person you should be fine, I am.

But if your saying it has a full exhaust and never had the ecu touched that's not right. Any dealer would of advised for at least a re-flash. If not switching to the DP ecu all together.
So you might be just taking the word that the exhaust was installed @2K. A lot of bikes out there. do your research.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Looking to buy 2010 1198 with full leo at 3k mile. My question is it had a modified stock that was gutted and was flashed for it. full leo was installed at 2kmiles without any retune. Just wondering if that seem ok? Thanks
Welcome to the forum!

A modified exhaust is totally different then an aftermarket one. So yea, you will absolutely need a new tune with a full exhaust.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The Leo Vince (non-Corsa) full exhaust runs similar to a slip-on as far as tuning, and can usually be run just without a tune. Pipes are pretty much the same diameter as stock.

Every bike is a little different especially due to injector differences and cam timing, but generally you can get away with it just fine on this particular exhaust.

An Akra or Termi full exhaust would not do so well in this regard. Neither would the Leo Vince Corsa exhaust.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok the stock exhaust had cat removed and baffling. Wouldn't that be same as getting full exhaust. I'm new to bikes but have a lot of car experience so seems like it's a good idea in theory. The bike has 3k miles and he will sell for $10k. Very clean bike. Worse case I take it in and have it tuned for the full Leo? Just worried about the time it was driven with the old tune and new pipes, is that something that could have done some significant damage to motor?

Thanks again for you help. Hope to be riding soon.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
You be fine. These bikes are strong. Ride it. It will not damage anything like this, it just might chug chug when moving at low RPM's, like under 4k.

After riding it a bit then come back and tell us how it feels...

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Wait a sec....you just said you're new to bikes....and you're gonna buy an 1198...

I'm not doing this all over...good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wait a sec....you just said you're new to bikes....and you're gonna buy an 1198...

I'm not doing this all over...good luck

No sorry, meant to say ducati and electronics type stuff. Rode R1 for a few years in my 20s so have plenty of riding experience. My roommate got an 1198 a month ago and I rode it a few times. I went to go test ride gsxr1000 and just couldn't buy it after riding the 1198.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Ok good. We recently had a very young guy buy or try to buy a new Panigale....the thread was a shit show....

Enjoy the 1198...I'm sure you're gonna love it, I definitely enjoy mine :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't think riding bike with that exhaust and no proper tune would damage motor. Bike could have ran like "crap" (if it's even right to say about 1198) with excessive backfires and dips in power-curve, but not damaging to motor. getting good tune for the bike would fix it right up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Steering Damper attached to the arm that is welded to the frame. plastic tanks on our bikes expand from ethanol in it and can reach that arm, then start rubbing on it. Ducati dealers were replacing tanks after receiving authorization from Ducati USA, case by case basis. there were no recall on those. Mine got replaced last year on 2009 1198S with 4500 miles on it. New style tank is smaller and even if it will expand it will not reach steering damper arm/bracket.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Steering Damper attached to the arm that is welded to the frame. plastic tanks on our bikes expand from ethanol in it and can reach that arm, then start rubbing on it. Ducati dealers were replacing tanks after receiving authorization from Ducati USA, case by case basis. there were no recall on those. Mine got replaced last year on 2009 1198S with 4500 miles on it. New style tank is smaller and even if it will expand it will not reach steering damper arm/bracket.

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts