Ducati.org forum banner

So I'm about to to buy an 821. Which color should I get?

• Ducati-Red. Cos It's a Ducati.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Dark is the real deal. Nothin else.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Silky white with red accents. You want to get noticed.

Votes: 5 21.7%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear Ducatisti,

I'm 35, new to Motorcycling, I'm just about to finish my 2 month long motorcycling course and will receive my drivers lcense in about a week or two.

Having only ridden the Kawasaki ER6n (72hp) for many many hours, I feel truly comfortable with that naked bike.

However my dream was always to ride a Ducati, not only to ride a Ducati but to own one. When I saw the 821 for the first time, I immediately knew "this is it". This is the one that I want, it has everything that I want. Couple of reviews told, that this bike, kept in Urban Mode, would match all my needs and would maybe a very couragous choice, but not a totally stupid one, like buying a Panigale...

I know it is expensive, I know I might drop it, it may lose value, I would not use it as it was intended to be used (on the track, high speeds, etc...) but the positive aspects outweigh the negative ones by far.

First of all, I would like to know, if there are any beginners out there, who also bought the 821 as their first bike.

Second question is to all riders: Are the 3 riding modes totally different from each other? Are we talking about 3 bikes in one? And how hard would it be for me to to stay in Urban Mode and not to "unleash the beast" ?

How hard was it to break in the motorcycle, to run the engine at low rpm for the first 1000km / 600mi ? How fast will it go with 5000 rpm? At least 100 km/h 60mp/h ?

Any problems with that awesome sound in the neighbourhood? I mean, I would love to take the Monster out for a night ride, but waking up the neighbours would not be very ... socially responsible... :eek: ...

Power Source: Is is easy to install some sort of cable, that I could use to charge my smartphone?

Last one: Did anyone install the Gi Pro Gear Indicator or something similar? I think the only downside of this bike is the missing gear indicator (besides the price...)

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Welcome,
The three power modes are vastly different. Honestly you would be fine with either urban or touring modes. You can adjust the abs and traction control levels within each mode so touring you could bump then up for added safety net.
Run in is easy, I was told ride it as normal but dont red line it.
It sits on 100klm/h at around 4000rpm 6th gear
I too thought no gear indicator or fuel gauge would be an issue. It isnt. After a few rides you get a feel for the bike and soon know what gear your in. As for fuel gauge I reset trip counter A when I fill up fuel and go by that, plus a low fuel warning comes on and another fuel count down trip meter starts...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think it is a good bike for someone like you. It certainly won't be too much bike. It has enough power but it's pretty manageable. Basically you can ring it's neck like a 600cc sports bike if you want. Which is fun from time to time. Try doing that on the 1200 or an R1 and it wouldn't work out well. Those bikes would be wrong for you Imo.
It is not a track bike but perfectly suited to country roads with plenty of bends. The lack of fairing stops you from doing crazy speeds which again has to be good news.

I am returning to biking after 15 years , basically a noob and it is perfect.
I tend to stick to sport mode as I want to get used to the throttle response.
I should probably use urban mode more in town.
I do put it in urban mode when it's raining or the road is wet. Urban is pretty sluggish though.
I have that gear indicator waiting to be fitted later this week so will tell you how it goes.
Breaking in is fine.I don't think the bike will break if you go over the suggestions now and again.
As for the noise, no complaints. But it is loud.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello, Welcome!

The 821 is my second bike and is my first ducati, I had an yamaha r6 prior to it. And all I can say is this bike is amazing, very easy to manage and fun to ride. If you're not comfortable with your riding skills you can put it in urban mode and that'll probably be "somewhat" similar to the kawasaki you've ridden cause it simply decreases the HP to 75ish and with all the ABS and traction control it makes a pretty safe bike for beginners.

And once you outgrow the urban mode, there's 2 older modes and that's where all the fun begins.. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hello, Welcome!

The 821 is my second bike and is my first ducati, I had an yamaha r6 prior to it. And all I can say is this bike is amazing, very easy to manage and fun to ride. If you're not comfortable with your riding skills you can put it in urban mode and that'll probably be "somewhat" similar to the kawasaki you've ridden cause it simply decreases the HP to 75ish and with all the ABS and traction control it makes a pretty safe bike for beginners.

And once you outgrow the urban mode, there's 2 older modes and that's where all the fun begins.. ;)
i'm kind of coming from the same background. my brother had an R6 10+ years ago that i learned on and rode often. failed to take my full M license as my brother sold the bike. now i'm doing my license again and waiting to purchase the 821 dark. can't wait.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I sold the R6 after one year, I didn't know much about bikes back then when I got it, just thought it looked cool and that was what I wanted. Although it was a very fun bike but it quickly grew uncomfortable for me due to the riding position, Then the 821 came, everything I wanted in a bike, the classic look with a modern touch, perfect amount of power; it's an awesome bike!

By the way, why is everyone either going for the matte black or the white? no love for the red :p

·
Registered
133 Posts
i'm going for the black. cheaper than the rest and one day paint the wheels to match the swing arm. red or white would be nice but spending $1500 more for just paint and the pillion cover isn't worth it to me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have both colours of the Monsters already! Just need a white one now! Lol!

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
I came from the exact same situation. Started on a Kawi 650 2013 model i bought new. after one year of riding i felt comfortable (and a safety course) never had a problem dropping it so i decided to move up to the M821 which i thought would make me feel safer riding in the rain( i commute daily)and it has. i stayed in urban for about a 3 weeks. it was just like the kawi but the gears feel more right for traffic driving than the kiwi did. after three weeks i bumped up to touring and set the TC and ABS for sport and touring to match( i don't do track days but i love the throttle response in sport mode for those beautiful sunny days and I switch back to urban on rainy day's) I have had it since march 1 and put 1500 mile on it so far, I love the bike. windy as hell on the highway but you get used to it. i just installed the windshield and I'm gonna write a post about that later but should make a difference.

·
Registered
150 Posts
volambre,

Which windscreen did you end up buying? I intalled a Ducati smoked tall touring windscreen which was pretty pricey but got it anyways on my 821M and felt just a tad better wind protection compared to my 796M. I really don't get bothered much with the wind blast on the hwy. What bothers me is wind noise using my Arai corsair helmet! i should start wearing earplugs! Lol!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, THANKS for all the replies! That just helped me to make my final decision. Within 2-3 weeks, I will own an 821 and I even know which color ... just won't tell... yet :D

But I promise to post some photos...

·
Registered
184 Posts
volambre,

Which windscreen did you end up buying? I intalled a Ducati smoked tall touring windscreen which was pretty pricey but got it anyways on my 821M and felt just a tad better wind protection compared to my 796M. I really don't get bothered much with the wind blast on the hwy. What bothers me is wind noise using my Arai corsair helmet! i should start wearing earplugs! Lol!

well that explains it, your bike is exactly what I'm working towards i liked your pics with the screen on so thats what made me pull the trigger and get the ducati windscreen but they didn't give me an option of tall or not. right after i installed it i went and found the pic of yours cause i thought yours came to a higher point on the bike than mine did. now i see i was right mine is lower. still made a world of difference on the highway this morning.

Does anyone know model numbers or anything for different screens? might be helpful to people looking to buy one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more thing: Does the 821 have any storage space under the seat? Some space for an empty gym sack or even a rain suit? Have not found any picture on the web...

·
Registered
136 Posts
One more thing: Does the 821 have any storage space under the seat? Some space for an empty gym sack or even a rain suit? Have not found any picture on the web...

Haha no way. Room for the tiny tool set that comes with it, and another small area about the same size on the seat itself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Test rode the beast. Made my move. Delivery very soon. :highclap:

My first impression was: "Who the hell needs the sports mode?" Seriously, Urban mode was just like my bike at Riders School, easy to handle, and the slipper clutch made the ride just perfect.

Then I switched to Touring Mode an it was a blast! Just a litte twist with your wrist and a second later, you're doing 100 km/h...

So I didn't even try to find out, how sports mode works.

Luckily, all the modes are customizable, so my initial setting will be:

Urban (for rainy weather)
Engine -> Low
DTC -> 8
ABS -> 3

Touring (for regular riding)
Engine -> Low
DTC -> 6
ABS -> 3

Sport (for longer distances and fun)
Engine -> Med
DTC -> 4
ABS -> 2

I think, these settings would be suitable for a beginner. But I guess most of you guys just stick to the default settings?

·
Registered
81 Posts
On mine:
Urban the same as you, for wet riding.
Sport & Touring, 6 & 2.
Not seen the red light with DTC on 6, which includes some hard & fast riding.
I've left the power setting as standard.
Sport mode is great for overtaking a series of cars on twisty roads.
I know a few 1200 owners who don't both with Sport mode, but on the 821 it gives that extra Nippy performance when you need it ;-)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Only abs & dts is adjustable in the mods, the power delivery is a preset level. So bit confused by your low - medium settings.
Urban is good in torrential rain. Touring is good if you want a slower throttle response also good on longer highway trips as it smooths out the throttle for hitting rough patches. Sports where I leave mine most days.... Ive done over 5000klm now and still love it but do wish id gone the 1200 especially when my partners on the back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Only abs & dts is adjustable in the mods, the power delivery is a preset level. So bit confused by your low - medium settings.
Urban is good in torrential rain. Touring is good if you want a slower throttle response also good on longer highway trips as it smooths out the throttle for hitting rough patches. Sports where I leave mine most days.... Ive done over 5000klm now and still love it but do wish id gone the 1200 especially when my partners on the back.
Watky, are you sure?

Owners Manual clearly says, you can specify engine settings (Low, Med &High) for all riding modes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts