Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I honestly have some of the same issue even with my Nexx. Getting low on the bike coming off the corner helps me stand her up and grab more speed on corner exit. I'm looking just below the brow but it's probably cause I'm a giant and don't fit on the bike anyway!!
View attachment 89059
Garrett, you're an exception! You lean more than most WSBK racers! :eek:

I try to lean as much as I can too obviously, but when I keep my head raised up (basically not pointing it down), even when my head is right next to the windscreen. The back of my neck may be sore the next day, but it helps with visibility through the turn. Not saying this is the right way necessarily, just what I do and works to prevent that issue. I'm sure that if I was capable of leaning as much as you do, I may go faster round the track.

Some examples:

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Polygrip... duh... obviously
Helmet choice probably comes down to the shape of your melon. Quality/protection/price wise i dont think there's much of a spread when we are at the high end side. Arai does it well with the thick soft padding, but over time my experience is they get lose fitting after a while (and i get my helmets really tight fitting, as im never wearing it for more than 20 minutes, and there's nothing worse than a helmet that moves around in the wind). Arai's eye port is lower than i like too, for me this comes into play when near the apex (maximum lean), when you are trying to look straight up to see through the turn.. AGV seems to have the eye port higher ( this may just be the way it sits on my bean), however they also seem to have a bit less peripheral vision. This doesn’t bother me as much, because you can turn your headside to side easy enough. I also had trouble with the little plastic vent thingies on the Arai while in gloves. These things are way more robust on the AGV. But honestly, i would've never even tried AGV on if it weren't for the sponsorship, but now im buying my own helmets. And they are AGV. You can also get the corsa and pista without paint, so you can get creative and make it YOUR helmet. I mean, i love Rossi, but i don't wanna wear his helmet :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Rub, that track is beautiful. All the pics you guys post up, there is grass every where. And it's like you don't even notice. Of all the venues here, , there's only one spot, the shitty little hair pin right turn at California Speedway, where we can crash in grass... and even there you have to do it all careful to land in the grass. It's just a little patch
Im so jealous

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Don't be jealous. Sure it's nice to look at in pictures, but grass off the track is not all it's cracked up to be. Sucks when you go off the track, especially if it rained before. VERY slippery. I've been lucky so far that every time I ran off at any of the tracks I've been to it hadn't rained for days, so the ground was dry and managed to keep it up...but many others haven't been so lucky. Plus it's not all just grass...we have alfalfa and soybean fields around too. If there's anything to know about soybean fields, it's that they're not even at all, they plant them as rows, which are elevated. I can tell you from experience that running into it at 50+ mph is a sure way to make your butt pucker!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I have an Arai Quantum 2. Haven't experienced that issue at all. I'll recommend a solution that costs nothing, is very obvious, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned it....raise your head! :D

No reason to have your head on the tank when you're going through a turn. I've had issues with the helmet dropping down and heard others have this issue, but on straights when you're going 130+, and that's usually from being too big for your head or from not being strapped properly. Never had or heard of issues like that in corners...unless you're Lorenzo and you wear an HJC :p
LOL Not on the tank bro. Trying to get it outside of the front fairing. I've noticed in the pictures of me riding that I'm a little too upright. Probably why I've never noticed this problem in the past. I'm trying to keep my head down more so I can up the pace through the corners. Some of the faster guys are taking turns much faster than I am and the most noticible difference is my head position.

I honestly have some of the same issue even with my Nexx. Getting low on the bike coming off the corner helps me stand her up and grab more speed on corner exit. I'm looking just below the brow but it's probably cause I'm a giant and don't fit on the bike anyway!!
View attachment 89059
Epic picture man! You are talented sir.

Actually, I think it more of a testament to how many head shapes/sizes/combinations thereof that there actually are.

For me, nothing fits like an Arai.
Shoei is my second choice...a distant second, if there were no Arais.

After that, I could find something to wear, but having worn many helmets over many years, I'd still rather have one of my used Arais than most anything else.

Looking forward to owning an Arai Corsair X. Or two. :)
Yeah, I have an oval head so Arai definitely fits me the best. Oddly enough, Shoei is my second best fit too, I guess our head shape is the same lol

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Garrett is spot on about the leather's roll in all this helmet stuff. I had the same problem of the hump on the back of my leathers pushing up the back of my helmet totally pushing the front down limiting my view thru the visor. After a crash I sent my leathers off to repair, in which, the hump was modified.... guess what,.... no more vision problems, too easy a fix, well, kinda easy!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
For example, look how high the hump is on the back of my other leathers.....

View attachment 89071
That is a SERIOUS hump! lol

Mine isn't quite so high and I can't say that I've ever noticed it rubbing on the back of the helmet but it's possible. I'm going to get some thicker crown padding in the meantime and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'm gonna have to go helmet shopping. I'd rather not spend the money a new helmet though. I'm hoping to sign up for the california superbike school at willow springs in October, and if I have to buy a helmet, I don't know if i'll be able to swing it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Don't be jealous. Sure it's nice to look at in pictures, but grass off the track is not all it's cracked up to be. Sucks when you go off the track, especially if it rained before. VERY slippery. I've been lucky so far that every time I ran off at any of the tracks I've been to it hadn't rained for days, so the ground was dry and managed to keep it up...but many others haven't been so lucky. Plus it's not all just grass...we have alfalfa and soybean fields around too. If there's anything to know about soybean fields, it's that they're not even at all, they plant them as rows, which are elevated. I can tell you from experience that running into it at 50+ mph is a sure way to make your butt pucker!
Ok.. Point taken. So, here's what you should do; Come on out to senic Rosamond California, meth capital of the continental United States, and also home to Willow Springs,and not a single blade of grass, and have a nice little turn 8 yard sale. I can promise you won't encounter any grass, slippery or otherwise. What you will find is plenty of "gravel" that consists of baby head sized rocks. You'll probably find a bit of perspective as well. Then, when you get back home you will actually enjoy crashing in grass :)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Ok.. Point taken. So, here's what you should do; Come on out to senic Rosamond California, meth capital of the continental United States, and also home to Willow Springs,and not a single blade of grass, and have a nice little turn 8 yard sale. I can promise you won't encounter any grass, slippery or otherwise. What you will find is plenty of "gravel" that consists of baby head sized rocks. You'll probably find a bit of perspective as well. Then, when you get back home you will actually enjoy crashing in grass :)
I generally chose not to crash when I'm at the track. It's worked every time except for once! ;)

Reactions: cbr6 and 219R

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Speaking of crashing on wet grass... Be extra careful @ Barber as Mr. Barber sprinkles all the grass around the track every night!! If you venture off the track, you will go down... just when you think you have saved it, bam!! Wet grass is soooo impossible!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
It's much more of a brain problem than a lean or narcolepsy problem. and you guys gotta admit, the photographer was Jonny on the spot. Ironic that my worst moment of the day was his best.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The title was missing a "That's what she said" reference. I sincerely apologize.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Your BP is horrible in that shot.
And it gets worse.. on my own behalf, i would like to point out that I never let go of the bars.
Check the walk of shame in the last pic

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hopefully I never have to make that walk. But if I keep getting faster, I likely will at some point.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts