Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new sprague clutch, clutch , starter put in Friday... Rode the bike to work no issues this morning.. Started bike this evening, let the bike warm up to 170, hopped on took off, half hour into the ride home I started hearing a clicking noise and then all of a sudden bike locks up and engine light comes on, and it's staying on! Any ideas of why this happened? Bike is on stand now oil meter shows half way.. I'm baffled right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Ducati.org Forum

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kicked over ran for 10 second then shut off.. Oil light is still on, oil meter registers at half way mark

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Can you better describe the clicking noise? Did it get louder/quieter with RPM? Did it come and go? Was it predominant from 1 side of the bike or the other?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blown motor guys! I'm done with ducati. Back to the japs

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Jap bikes eat motors too.
Sort the issues you have with yours.

I believe any 1198 motor will work, I dont think you need it to be '10 specific. But perhaps someone else here will chime in.

The shop that did the work should be held accountable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm trying to keep my cool but my next step is my lawyer! I already tried consumer protections and they were no help.. Next is better business bureau..

·
Court Jester
11,816 Posts
I'm trying to keep my cool but my next step is my lawyer! I already tried consumer protections and they were no help.. Next is better business bureau..

I don't know what you are going to get out of it other than lawyer fees.

This is the down side to purchasing a used Ducati.

The warranty is two years unlimited miles. After two years regardless of 1 mile or 50k it's out of warranty.

You have no idea on how the bike was taken care of prior two you owning it.

Because of the 2 year warranty I decided to walk always from a 1098 bite the bullet and take one off the floor (848).

2 months in and 2 thousands miles I had a belt failure. Ducati and the dealer did me solid.

I'm now at 24k miles and no issues. But I keep on top of the maintenance.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

What's a lawyer going to do other than spend your money on booze and hookers?

You think this is your dealer's fault? You think it's Ducati's fault? ( even though they never sold you the bike as they don't sell direct to the public )
have you got detailed maintenance documentation from new? Has it been looked after or rode into the dirt?

You can't put the best part of 3000 miles on a used bike then start blaming everyone else because it broke.

Ducati won't entertain you as this is not an issue that is common so no precedent, and even if it were your contract is with your dealer, not Ducati. I expect your dealer won't entertain you because you bought a used bike some time ago, it's no longer his responsibility.

You said in one of the other threads that you have started about this bike that you recently had a load of work done. I'd start there. Sadly you gave the bike back to the people who did the work and allowed them to crack it open. So even if they are at fault you will only see what they allow you to see when you get it back.

You did yourself no favours turning it over again and again after there was clearly an issue.

And the BBB is nothing more than a review site where Americans can complain about their purchase woes. You won't do any harm to Ducati's reputation by complaining about a single incident on a used motor with a shaky maintenance history.

You don't need a lawyer, you need to get it away from the none-Ducati authorised garage that did the work before they can hide any mistakes, and get it into a dealership for an honest assessment of what caused the problem.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Blown motor guys! I'm done with ducati. Back to the japs

Perhaps I could suggest a move to Van Nuys, California. You would have some great company!!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
A lawyer will do you no good...except for wasting money. Use to money to get a new engine (or parts to fix if it can be fixed).

Stuff like that happens every now and then with any sort of bikes...I've heard of more Suzukis, Kawasakis, etc. blow engines than I've heard Ducatis. If the maintenance wasn't done as recommended or wasn't done right, it can happen on any bike. And if it has a lot of miles, and hard miles, that can still happen even with periodic maintenance. It's all part of the game. Shit happens...lawyers aren't there to clean the shit (though it seems nowadays they do that as well unfortunately). Do you hire a lawyer every time your car breaks down too?

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
C'mon Rub, 85 - 90% of all the lawyers in the world practice in the USA! Hell, they got to make a payday. How many legal ads are active on your local TV channels? Here in East Tn. they average every third ad! Injury, disability, Social Security, unemployment (ask a senor member contributor on this forumn). Folks are entitled to have some money!!! Just sayin.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Rubbish I'm a manager at car dealer ship lol

And? Even more so, I assume you'd know then. Or do you get sued a lot by people when their cars break down?

·
Court Jester
11,816 Posts
And? Even more so, I assume you'd know then. Or do you get sued a lot by people when their cars break down?
I've sued a car dealer ship... and won.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts