Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has been a frustrating day to say the least. To start off, I have an 09 1198 with the Ducati Performace Alarm System (only added that because I'm not sure if it may be related).

Anyhow, as the title suggests, I did a simple battery swap. The old one took a dump, so I went and got a new battery, charged it and installed into the bike. Turn on the ignition, disarm the alarm, and the bike now cranks far better than it ever has since I've owned it. It turns over much faster than before, with the minor inconvenience that it doesn't start. It doesn't even try to fire. I stripped the bike down, checked the fuses, pulled the tank and the top cylinder spark plug. Getting good spark, plug looked relatively dry despite a fair amount of engine cranking (This makes me think I may not be getting fuel to the cylinders). The fuel pump primes as normal when I turn the key on.

I'm at a loss. I can't count the number of times I've swapped batteries on bikes before, and never had this issue. Oh yeah, and after some time trying to start the bike, the Check Engine light came on. I've tried just about all the obvious things I can think of. The bike came with the Ducati Alarm on it when I bought it, and I can find literally ZERO information on the net about it to help me. I was wondering if somehow you had to reset the alarm or the like before it would let the bike restart after a battery swap? Dunno.

Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate anything anyone has to offer. Otherwise, I guess it's off to the stealer to pay their mechanics to make a diagnosis.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Ohh gosh, it absolutely sounds like an immobilizer or alarm issue. My guess is, when you unplugged the battery it "reset" the alarm and its still active for some reason. So you still have the paperwork for it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohh gosh, it absolutely sounds like an immobilizer or alarm issue. My guess is, when you unplugged the battery it "reset" the alarm and its still active for some reason. So you still have the paperwork for it?
No, that's just it. The bike had the alarm on it when i got it (used bike), and I can't find any online manuals or info at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so I've been digging and digging on the net to try and find the manuals for the 96757707B Ducati Alarm system. So far, i have only been able to find the installation manual, which states that there is a separate Operation Manual, which I have been unable to find as of yet. The install manual states one warning at the very end that sparked my attention. It says "The motorcycle's injection system might detect a starter error which can be read by the diagnostic equipment."

I'm starting to believe the alarm system may very well be where my problem lies. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE THE OPERATION MANUAL FOR THE 96757707B DUCATI ALARM THAT THEY CAN SCAN AND POST OR PM TO ME? I would be greatly appreciative!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE
Problem solved, however I'm not quite sure how! I decided since I never really wanted the alarm in the first place, I would take it off, which I did. Didn't change a thing. At that point, i decided there was nothing else i could do. So, I loaded the bike up on my trailer and hauled it 110 miles to the nearest dealer, and rolled it into their service bay and gave all the info about the issue to them. I then walked up to the new bike showroom floor to check out what they had.

Just about the time the drool started rolling out of my mouth sitting on a new Panigale, I hear my bike crank for about 2-3 seconds and roar to life in the service bay. I quickly walked back there, and one of their techs was standing there with my bike. I asked what in the world he did to get it running! He claims that he jiggled the wires going into the fuel pump and thought there might be an issue there, but wiggling the wires pretty firmly with the bike running never made the bike hiccup even once. I took off and rode it down the street and back. Ran perfect. Feeling like an idiot, but glad to have not dropped a bunch of cash fixing the thing, I loaded it back up, turned around and came home. Put all the plastic back on, and this morning went for a spirited 40-50 mile ride. Not a single stumble. I'm at a loss.

Literally the only thing I can figure is that the bike was indeed in some sort of stolen mode, and the ignition had to be cycled a certain number of times to clear it, and it just happened that that count was met in the service bay of the dealer? Who knows. Wish i knew for sure what it was, but I'll roll the dice and keep on riding away!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Was your LED blinking when you tried to start it? The ECU might have been in lock down mode since it was unpowered. I don't know if it has something to do with the key pairing. But people who had this issue waited till the LED no longer blinks then try restarting the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts