Ducati.org forum banner

Help: Error code Pickup 34.0

49K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  BOTT 
#1 ·
Well today was a bummer of a day. I went for a ride with some guys and I had two major issues. I could really use some input on both.

1) we tried to ride up the canyon but the traffic was too slow. I think we stayed between 25 - 30 mph the entire way up. When we pulled into Evergreen a cloud of steam/smoke came out from under my bike. It didn't smell like oil so I'm thinking it was coolant. The bike was between 210 - 220 degrees the entire ride. Once the cloud cleared I didn't have any other issues with steam/smoke and the operating temp was the same.

2)This is the serious one. A few hours after the first issue my bike simply died as we where cruising down the highway @ roughly 55 mph; it would not start back up. In fact it wouldn't even turn over. By pressing the mode switch up an error appeared for 'Pick.UP 34.0'. I ended up having to have it towed home ($130.00 :mad:). Here is the crappy part... when I got home and in the garage the bike started up fine. Anyone know what the error was about, how serious it is now that it seems to have cleared itself, if I can ride it at all before taking it to the dealer, will the dealer do anything now that it seems to have corrected itself? I don't want to get stuck again and have to pay for a tow job again.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me on either issue. I'm pretty frustrated right now.

Troy

See less See more
#3 ·
COIL 10.1 Horizontal cylinder coil error
COIL 10.2 Horizontal cylinder coil error
COIL 11.1 Vertical cylinder coil error
COIL 11.2 Vertical cylinder coil error
INJE 12.1 Horizontal cylinder injector error
INJE 12.2 Horizontal cylinder injector error
INJE 13.1 Vertical cylinder injector error
INJE 13.2 Vertical cylinder injector error
PUMP 16.0 Fuel pump relay error
FAN 18.1 Fan relay error
FAN 18.2 Fan relay error
STRT 19.1 Starter contactor error
STRT 19.2 Starter contactor error
STEP. 21.1 Stepper motor error
STEP. 21.2 Stepper motor error
STEP. 21.3 Stepper motor error
LAMB. 22.1 Lambda heater error
LAMB. 22.2 Lambda heater error
EXVL 23.1 Exhaust valve motor error
EXVL 23.2 Exhaust valve motor error
EXVL 23.3 Exhaust valve motor error
EXVL 23.4 Exhaust valve motor error
EXVL 23.5 Exhaust valve motor error
TPS 1.1 Throttle position sensor error
TPS 1.2 Throttle position sensor error
PRESS 2.1 Pressure sensor error
PRESS 2.2 Pressure sensor error
T.WAT 3.1 Engine coolant temperature sensor error
T.WAT 3.2 Engine coolant temperature sensor error
AIR 4.1 Air temperature sensor error
AIR 4.2 Air temperature sensor error
BATT 5.1 Battery voltage error
BATT 5.2 Battery voltage error
LAMB 6.1 Lambda sensor error
TILT 6.2 Lambda 2 sensor error
DTC 8.0
Traction control unit error (the error can only occur if the bike has been fitted with the traction
control kit available from Ducati performance)
ECU 30.0 Engine ECU error
PK.UP 34.0 Pick-up sensor error
SPEE. 36.0 Speed sensor error
IMMO 37.0 Immobilizer error
IMMO 37.1 Immobilizer error
IMMO 37.3 Immobilizer error
IMMO 37.4 Immobilizer error
IMMO 37.5 Immobilizer error
CAN 38.0 CAN line error

#8 ·
grrr. Now my battery is dead this morning as well. If Sherlock Holmes were here he'd say, 'Something is afoot."

Good news is Erico is picking the bike up tomorrow; no charge to me. So that's good news, right?

Bevelman: did you really need a new started, etc or was it just a bad battery?

#12 ·
I just got off the phone with the dealer. The pickup sensor was 'dirty' and the alternator was dead. Ducati ok’ed the replacement of the alternator and they should have it mid next week. I’m not 100% certain about the ‘dirty’ sensor… but at least they found why my battery was dead. The one surprise is that they didn’t see any sign of a coolant leak. I know something created that cloud of steam. I hope they find something before they give it back to me.

#13 ·
I just had the same problem, apparently 2007 1098's with the last 5 numbers of VIN being 01112 have a problem with the starter assembly. This is a warranty deal in which the dealer should order the "starter upgrade kit." The problem becomes apparent after the bike has been running for at least 15 minutes. After several failed start attempts, the error PK.UP 34.0 should come up. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to it getting fixed which should be in the next week or so.

#16 ·
I'm having the exact same problem. But the dealer is 3 hrs away from where I live. Called them and they had me change the cam timing pickup sensor which tells the ecu were the engine is at as far as RPM or so the tech told me. I changed it and my 2007 1098 is still belly up. My next move is to replace the battery being that the one I bought at advance auto parts only gives 12.4 V and I'm praying is the source of my problem. Tech said it might be the ECU. $1000 ouch!!!

#17 ·
This happend twice since I been owning that heap of metal;

The sensor in top right of the clutch,single wire lead easily reachable without removing panels.

Just unconnect and it fires right up.

In fact,when the 1st one went I just plugged it with a bolt and some teflon tape but that came out as unnecessary as just this morning it went out again (showed me quick warning yellow light flashes for afew days) and plainly refused to start...unplugging the sensor again and it fired right up...again.

Useless techno crap

#18 ·
Just got the 34.0 Pk.UP code....Ughhh its a 2011 1198SP with 8100miles on it. Going to replace the battery as its the original battery (i keep it on a tender when not riding). Hope nothing more..... Any other suggestions?

#19 ·
i just encountered the same problem i tried to switch it on but after 5 minutes of trying the check engine lights on and then the ERROR PK.UP 34.0 appeared so i decided not to push it further because it might damage the starter relay..i have a new battery YUASA just bought it last year.
my Ducati 1198s is stuck in the house for less than a week after a 50 miles rode with my friend and i didn't have any trouble all the way back to home.

#21 ·
had this happen too when i first got my 1098 and after searching i thought it was a dead battery too. Tried to start the bike on a cold day and it cranked but barely and just shut off. tried it again and still nothing. I let the bike sit with the key on to look through the dash and see if there was any warning lights and after about 5 minutes of scrolling through i decided to try to start again and this time it worked. Found out from the old owner he had switched to a Shorai battery and it required to be warmed up prior to actually starting it. Shorais are pretty popular because theyre light and have high cca so before you rule out the battery i would check to see if it is a lithium one.

#22 ·
had this happen too when i first got my 1098 and after searching i thought it was a dead battery too. Tried to start the bike on a cold day and it cranked but barely and just shut off. tried it again and still nothing. I let the bike sit with the key on to look through the dash and see if there was any warning lights and after about 5 minutes of scrolling through i decided to try to start again and this time it worked. Found out from the old owner he had switched to a Shorai battery and it required to be warmed up prior to actually starting it. Shorais are pretty popular because theyre light and have high cca so before you rule out the battery i would check to see if it is a lithium one.
Are you referring to the engine or the battery? I just installed a brand new Shorai LiFePO4 battery as the Pd acid one was spent and still have the 34.0 error message. It's roughly low-to-mid 50s (°F) in my garage at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.