Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a problem. I have an 08 848 that won't start. The thing is I'm 8000 miles away from it and am not going to be back to where it is for at least 9 months. I left it at my dads house while I'm gone and he starts it about every 5 days and my uncle takes it out for a spin once a month. My dad just sent me an email saying the bike won't start. He is not mechanical at all and didn't really even want to watch the bike when I was gone in the first place. I just called him, the lights and gauges come on but the bike just clicks. I had him tell me the volts on the dash and its reading 11.7. Is that enough that it should try to at least turn over? I bought the bike used about a year ago. Not sure how old the battery is but I never had an issue till now. I know this topic has been discussed before and looked online but couldn't find a strait answer. He's going to try to get to the battery and make sure there are no loose connections to start with. How do you know if its the voltage regulator? Since I'm so far away and he knows nothing about motorcycles and is not mechanical I don't really want to burden him to much. The thing is I would hate to call a tow truck, get the bike to the ducati dealership and have it be some stupid little thing. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
The twins need approx. 12.4 to turn over happily. 11.7 is not enough. Put a battery tender on it while you're away.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I can tell you from my experience, my 2008 battery only lasted six years.

I suggest going the cheap route and buy a Honda battery to replace the OEM battery.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is it really cold where your bike is? My 1098 did the exact same thing last week. Started fine the day before and then a storm came. Went to start it and nothing, not even a crank. Charged it overnight and tried starting the next day and still nothing. Voltage read 12.1 -12.3. On another members advice I took the batt out and let it warm up no charge and plugged it in the next day and she started first go

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think its that cold there, the bikes in Jacksonville Florida. Just looked at the weather 50 to 70s F on average. Its night time there now and its 70 degrees. I know cold batteries aren't good but don't think the temp is that low. Hopefully its just an old battery. Do you guys think I should tell him to try and jump it with a car battery with the car not running? Is it possible to mess things up more when you do that?

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
A couple of points to make here. Firstly yes, you need well over 12V to start it without stressing other parts of the system. Particularly the starter sprag clutch.
And yes - it is eminently possible to do damage connecting a car battery.
As the above post suggested, a stronger battery is worth investing in. The YTZ-14S is quite a bit stronger and not too dear, being stock on the Honda VTR1000.
It just needs a bit of re-packing in the box - not difficult.
But why is your dad starting it every week? This is likely to do more harm than good, particularly if he is just starting it and switching it off without riding it. (Not to mention their neighbours..). This is wisdom from a time before Nikalsil-plated cylinders..
The best plan while you are away is to fit a stronger battery, and have someone RIDE the bike every six weeks or so, with a battery tender connected in between.
Starting it briefly and switching it off again is not necessary if the bike is stored out of the weather, and only risks fouling plugs and sooting up the heads.
So, did you leave a helmet for the old man.?

:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple of points to make here. Firstly yes, you need well over 12V to start it without stressing other parts of the system. Particularly the starter sprag clutch.
And yes - it is eminently possible to do damage connecting a car battery.
As the above post suggested, a stronger battery is worth investing in. The YTZ-14S is quite a bit stronger and not too dear, being stock on the Honda VTR1000.
It just needs a bit of re-packing in the box - not difficult.
But why is your dad starting it every week? This is likely to do more harm than good, particularly if he is just starting it and switching it off without riding it. (Not to mention their neighbours..). This is wisdom from a time before Nikalsil-plated cylinders..
The best plan while you are away is to fit a stronger battery, and have someone RIDE the bike every six weeks or so, with a battery tender connected in between.
Starting it briefly and switching it off again is not necessary if the bike is stored out of the weather, and only risks fouling plugs and sooting up the heads.
So, did you leave a helmet for the old man.?

:D

So starting it and letting it run for 10 minutes rev it a couple of times is bad? My uncle comes once a month to take it out on the road. I figured for the battery and the bike just getting the juices flowing its better than just sitting idle. I work out of the country so when I get back home that's my transportation. My uncle is older but an experienced rider so he only takes the bike probably 10-15 miles once a month at the most at a time. No helmet for the old man, I offered but told him he should do the msf course first. My dad is almost 70 and hasn't ridden a bike in 40 years. I don't want him to ride it because an 848 isn't a refresher course bike for an old man. Also my brother and sister would kill me and I'd feel like a real asshole if I let my dad drive the bike and got hurt or killed!

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
So starting it and letting it run for 10 minutes rev it a couple of times is bad? My uncle comes once a month to take it out on the road. I figured for the battery and the bike just getting the juices flowing its better than just sitting idle. I work out of the country so when I get back home that's my transportation. My uncle is older but an experienced rider so he only takes the bike probably 10-15 miles once a month at the most at a time. No helmet for the old man, I offered but told him he should do the msf course first. My dad is almost 70 and hasn't ridden a bike in 40 years. I don't want him to ride it because an 848 isn't a refresher course bike for an old man. Also my brother and sister would kill me and I'd feel like a real asshole if I let my dad drive the bike and got hurt or killed!
From all I've read you want to get it out for at least a 20 minute ride to get it to full temp at least once a week. If you are just starting it static for 10 minutes you are probably hurting it more than helping.

If you are going to long term store it add the gas additive (or drain the tank) disconnect the battery put it on a trickle charger, and according to the manual pull the spark plug and put a LITTLE oil (not a lot) and rotate the engine. It's all in your book.

Reactions: Tric

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its turned into a mess I added startron before I left which was only 60 days ago. With a little fuel and was planning on my uncle adding a 1/2 gallon of fresh gas each month. Full temp comes fast in Florida. It will get to 250 in 5:00 min. I got no book. I love the bike but thinking about putting it up for sale. I'm staying out of the country way longer than expected and I don't want to leave my dad with the burden of the bike. 6500.00 loaded, clear title, all the best add ons,
pm me for details, just need to get rid of it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry on the temp 200 max around if sitting still, under florida hot air it will run 180 ish on a hot day while moving

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Just remember the temp on your gauge is the temp of the water, the doesn't mean the oil is getting up to temp, you can download the owners manual off Ducati's website (take some digging)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sitting on a small island in the south pacific 8000 miles away from my bike. just looking for basic answers I can give to my dad to try or it gets towed to the closest duc dealear and will cost a shitload of money.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
It seriously sounds like the battery has crapped the bed. It's easily replaced and I recommend going to the one recommended for the 1198. If you want to spend the money, go to a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 or perhaps this one

300 CCA Lithium Engine Start Battery

It has a tad more cranking power then the equivalent Shorai.

The lithium batteries seem to hold a charge when sitting idle for long periods better than the lead acid/gel batteries do.

I bet once the battery is replaced, the bike will start up no problem. On that note......stop having your dad start it once in a while and just let your uncle come by when he does and take it out for a nice ride to keep things charged.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Yes. Your uncle riding it for 15 mins each month is pretty ideal. If you fit a new battery and attach a tender overnight once a week it will be ready for you when you get home. No point in starting it up in between.

And I should say that the purpose of all this information was NOT to discourage your ownership of the bike. Quite the opposite.

You would need to replace the battery to sell the bike anyway - why not hang onto it? If you come home to no bike, every Ducati that roars past is going to ruin your day..

An island in the South Pacific sounds pretty nice. Coming home from an island paradise (and yes, I realise they are not all like that!) to ride your Ducati with a powerful new battery - now THAT sounds like a plan!

:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK , it was just the battery. My dad put a new one in. Even though its a simple job its a big relief and kind of proud/surprised he could do that all in one day. Since he retired he doesn't do to much. Thanks again for all of the help and replies. Maybe I'll keep her!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts