Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my last session at High Plains Raceway and I feel the rear get waaay loose. I knew something was wrong so I pulled off to find this: Wheel Tire Spoke Rim Vehicle

Rear tire flat and my brake caliper lying on the ground. I had just adjusted my tire pressures so I wondered at first it I cooked the tire and it somehow knocked the caliper. But no, the caliper somehow departed, bounced around the inside of the wheel, and knocked off the valve stem. The caliper has been ground down a bit, but the mounting holes don't show any signs of further damage, so I'm suspecting that the bolts didn't sheer off, they just worked their way out, probably from when I cleaned/lubed the chain. (I swear I didn't spray THAT much)

The caliper will have to be replaced but I don't know about the rim. Mostly it's just scratched on the inside, but one of the spokes does have a small nick in it. So my question is: can I just have a new valve stem installed or is the rim toast?

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
Well, that's not pretty! Are you talking about the nick on the spoke at about 3 o'clock? That doesn't look too bad to me.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Replace the valve stem and check the balance. If it's balanced, you should be fine. If it was magnesium, I might get it x-rayed but if it's aluminum, give er'!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
WOW whoops! See if you can figure out how the caliper came off. Was it the carrier/holder assembly? The wheel is probably fine, you can always send it somewhere to get repainted.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Definition of, "why we safety wire rear brake caliper bolts".... forged aluminum wheel is prolly fine....
what Patrick said,....

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it's the base 1098 so aluminum wheel.

Yep, the nick right above where the valve stem used to be.

219R, I'll be safety wiring it from now on. You can see I safety wired the wheel nut, on both sides. What do you wire it to? Do you wire the front calipers too?

Thanks everyone. Glad to get a warm fuzzy I don't have to replace the wheel. Marchesini's ain't cheap!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I wire everything on track bikes.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Psst..."tooned" ......

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Yeah it's the base 1098 so aluminum wheel.

Yep, the nick right above where the valve stem used to be.

219R, I'll be safety wiring it from now on. You can see I safety wired the wheel nut, on both sides. What do you wire it to? Do you wire the front calipers too?

Thanks everyone. Glad to get a warm fuzzy I don't have to replace the wheel. Marchesini's ain't cheap!
yes...safety wire the bolts..to each other so they would tightened each other....still have the same safety wire pliers I was given in the USAF.
well...Kinda given...I safety wire every thing I do not want to get loose..especially fluid parts..running gear...brakes...etc...everything we would in the aircraft.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Yes..required in tech inspection...I also use it in corner entry and for sure in grass and gravel during off track excursions....

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
glad you are ok, your chain look little tight

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't use the rear brake on track, only on the street. The rear end slides around enough when I downshift even w/slipper, don't need to make it worse with the brake.

Incidentally, anyone know the length of those caliper mount bolts? I know they're M8x1.25 but need the length. Ordering some pre-drilled replacements.

Thanks, Phil. I had about 3/4" to 1" displacement on the chain. Been using the same # links and wheelbase for a while. But I'll be sure to double check when I get the new valve stem installed.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Manual recommends 33-35 mm measured in the middle point between center of sprockets.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I don't use the rear brake on track, only on the street. The rear end slides around enough when I downshift even w/slipper, don't need to make it worse with the brake.

Incidentally, anyone know the length of those caliper mount bolts? I know they're M8x1.25 but need the length. Ordering some pre-drilled replacements.

Thanks, Phil. I had about 3/4" to 1" displacement on the chain. Been using the same # links and wheelbase for a while. But I'll be sure to double check when I get the new valve stem installed.
I have two rear calipers bolts if you need let me know, always use RED LOCTITE, I used my rear brake all the time, sample pix of my old horse

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks but I already ordered some pre-drilled ones. I always use red loctite as well, don't think I even have the blue.

Nice pics. Minor off-road excursion?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts