Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm jumping from the Jap bikes into the Italian 2008 Ducati 1098!

8,400 Miles
Arrow Cans
Adjustable Rears
Carbon Fiber (CF) Side Fairings
CF Pipe Protector
CF Rear Mud Flap Fairing

I do have a question that I need some help on. The bike has 8,400 miles on it and the last owner did not bring it in for its 7,500 mile Valve Adjustment; I have an appointment for it in a month. He is a pretty calm rider and took care of it. In your guys opinion, is it ok to put a couple hundred miles on it before its Valve Adjustment; 100 Track and 200-300 Street Miles??

·
Registered
564 Posts
That's risking it. Not in the sense that the valves may be out of spec but I'm assuming they're the original belts from the bike. To put this in to perspective, Ducati says a valve service every 7,500 miles or 2 years, so if it's an '08 that puts it at 4 years overdue. If I were to chance it I would definitely not track it though. Just my 2 cents. Also, welcome to the club! These bikes are addictive, you'll never want another Jap bike again!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Any unreasonable risk that could blow my motor isn't worth it. Get the service done ASAP and then ride it.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I differ and believe you are fine to ride it before your service appointment.

Just my opinion based on personal experience thats all.

·
Court Jester
12,067 Posts
I differ and believe you are fine to ride it before your service appointment.

Just my opinion based on personal experience thats all.
I'm with Gunny, if the bike is still under warranty I guess I would be more conservative.

Reactions: Gunny Fitz

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The bike is probably not under warranty as it is a 2008. That being said, a quick visual inspection of the belts would give me the answer.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
In the back of my mind, I would be thinking about those 6 year old belts when I give it the berries.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Unlike the Japanese bikes which use a cam chain thats lubricated, the Ducati kevlar belts are on the outside of the motor with vent ducts keeping them cool. They do stretch and that causes the timing to be a tiny bit out of whack. A 6 year old bike with 8500 miles on it means, the bike sat a long time, which also stretches the belts.

8500 miles with no valve adjustment? Eh, not too bad... its probably fine for a few hundred street miles. 6 years with no belt change and lots of sitting around time? Thats pretty scary and when belts let loose, there is no warning, you're riding along and one moment you've got a perfectly good working motor, one second later, two grand is coming out of your pocket to fix it.

I wouldn't ride it until you got those belts changed, to me thats risky considering you don't really know anything about this particular bike and what its been through. Putting the bike through its paces at a track day? No way, thats absolutely too risky for belts AND clearances.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Does anyone have a link to a thread with some visuals on what good belts look like vs bad belts.... or a step by step so OP (and others) can get an idea?

·
Court Jester
12,067 Posts
Thats pretty scary and when belts let loose, there is no warning, you're riding along and one moment you've got a perfectly good working motor, one second later, two grand is coming out of your pocket to fix it.
2k miles my H belt failed NO Engine damage. Shut the dam thing off when you hear it sounding like shit.

I'm not advocating not worrying about losing a belt but I am advocating educating people that they can actually save their bike a lot of damage by using common sense.

Reactions: white_duc89

·
Court Jester
12,067 Posts
Does anyone have a link to a thread with some visuals on what good belts look like vs bad belts.... or a step by step so OP (and others) can get an idea?
There are so many on this forum you could hit many blind folded :) :blind:

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The modern kevlar belts don't show very many signs of serious wear. The logo's will be missing from the back side of the belt, but thats normal stuff even for low-hour belts.

From my perspective, you're looking at tightness more then anything else. Plucking the belt between the movable roller and the timing output shaft, should produce an A note or 110hz. Thats probably the easiest test as there are software packages for your mobile device which show you frequency.

But if its loose, do you really want to tighten 6 year old belts even more? Sounds too risky to me.

·
Court Jester
12,067 Posts
Not at 10k RPM's on the track, it goes catastrophic before you can blink an eye.
ok you gots me there :) but the OP was asking about putting a couple hundred miles on it so I think my statement fits?

·
Court Jester
12,067 Posts
On the track he said... Also, sometimes the belts go and give you no warming, happened to me.
Damn Tye you are on your game today and I think I need a nap.

If he is going to track it I would get the service done...

·
Court Jester
12,067 Posts
Last thing Tye my belt went with no warning. It was the obvious sound of bad things that made me react quick and shut her down.

·
Court Jester
12,067 Posts
You got really lucky, most people don't have that much luck. :(
Ducati got lucky I was only a few months in on the bike (warranty), then again I would of been out a bike for the summer :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unlike the Japanese bikes which use a cam chain thats lubricated, the Ducati kevlar belts are on the outside of the motor with vent ducts keeping them cool. They do stretch and that causes the timing to be a tiny bit out of whack. A 6 year old bike with 8500 miles on it means, the bike sat a long time, which also stretches the belts.

8500 miles with no valve adjustment? Eh, not too bad... its probably fine for a few hundred street miles. 6 years with no belt change and lots of sitting around time? Thats pretty scary and when belts let loose, there is no warning, you're riding along and one moment you've got a perfectly good working motor, one second later, two grand is coming out of your pocket to fix it.

I wouldn't ride it until you got those belts changed, to me thats risky considering you don't really know anything about this particular bike and what its been through. Putting the bike through its paces at a track day? No way, thats absolutely too risky for belts AND clearances.
He did the first valve adjustment at 4,500 miles about three years ago. The bike sat for a while last year. I have a guy in town, no Ducati dealers close to where I live, willing to take a look at the belts for me. He said that he would be able to hear if the valves were bad... Is this true or do you need to actually open the thing up? Do you need a special tool to change the belts on a 1098 Ducati?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts