Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've recently just purchased a 2003 ducati monster 800 Sei with 4,400 miles on it. After riding it for a bit I've discovered that the bike will randomly make a loud 'click' sound and will draw the power back for about half a second. I contacted the guy I bought the bike from and he said it happens because he put an aftermarket air box on it allowing it to get more air and the computer has not been adjusted to compensate for the higher air intake, but when I called a maintenance shop and described the problem they said that it doesn't sound like a computer issue. Has any one experienced this issue or know what's causing it? I figured Id ask here before taking it to the shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its completely random it doesn't happen at a specific rpm or whether the motors cold or hot. It sounds like a loud click almost as something is slipping out of place. I've talked to a few people and they said it sounds like the bike hasn't been tuned after having the air box and exhaust modified.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Its completely random it doesn't happen at a specific rpm or whether the motors cold or hot. It sounds like a loud click almost as something is slipping out of place. I've talked to a few people and they said it sounds like the bike hasn't been tuned after having the air box and exhaust modified.
Its backfiring in the airbox. That issue can come from several problems, but most likely its fueling. Does the bike have an aftermarket exhaust and if so, does it have an alternative fuel management system?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Backfiring into the airbox- that doesn't sound like fun.

It could be fuel mapping
It could be mucked up injectors and/or dirty throttle bodies
It could be a timing belt of by one tooth
It could be a burnt valve

I'd pull the airbox-clean the throttle bodies, replace the fuel filter and run some sea foam at the next fill up. While you are there, pull the belt covers of and check the timing marks!

Beyond that you will likely need some professional help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts