Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just recently purchased a 2010 848. The guy i bought it from parked it because he didn't have the money to get the tires changed. He came back about a year later and tried to start it and it wouldn't. He said the bike had compression but it wasn't firing. The bike has now been sitting for about 2-3 years without being started. So i plan to take the spark plugs out and see if they are arcing. Has anyone else had this problem and/or know how to fix it? I'm going to replace the battery first as the other one is shot. Also i would like to change the oil before i try to turn it over. Everyone says to get the bike warm before changing the oil, but obviously that is not possible for me. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey I just recently purchased a 2010 848. The guy i bought it from parked it because he didn't have the money to get the tires changed. He came back about a year later and tried to start it and it wouldn't. He said the bike had compression but it wasn't firing. The bike has now been sitting for about 2-3 years without being started. So i plan to take the spark plugs out and see if they are arcing. Has anyone else had this problem and/or know how to fix it? I'm going to replace the battery first as the other one is shot. Also i would like to change the oil before i try to turn it over. Everyone says to get the bike warm before changing the oil, but obviously that is not possible for me. Any suggestions?
did he doe anything to prep the bike for storage? fuel sitting for 2-3 years without a stabilizer can cause issues. Definitely change the oil. better to do it cold if its been sitting for that long rather than circulate questionable oil first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he didn't prep the bike and left the fuel in the tank. I just planed on draining the tank. Is it going to be an issue that he left fuel in it for that long, or will it be fine to just drain it and add new fuel?

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I would do an initial check of all the systems, charge the battery, it has got to be dead, check the oil, etc. Look thru your owners manual for additional information. After, I would turn on the power, see what lights up, scroll thru the menu, to see if there are any errors showing up on the dash. If all looks good, try and start the motor as detailed in the manual. See what happens, go from the beginning, you might be surprised! Good luck, sounds pretty exciting!!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Yes I'm with Bob on this one. Get it running, briefly, and then change the oil. Starting it on the old oil shouldn't be a problem.

But you definitely need to change the fuel. And of course the new battery you mentioned. Don't skimp on this - they need a good quality battery. Preferably a Yuasa, or a LiFePO-type (Shorai) if you are going to keep and improve the bike.

Perhaps check the heavy cable terminals between the battery and the starter. Particularly on the solenoid (starter relay) just in front of the battery.

I would suggest cranking it over with the new fuel and battery before changing the plugs, as any residual old fuel could foul the new plugs.

Then fit the plugs, and you might be lucky. Let us know what happens..

·
Registered
101 Posts
People amaze me but at least you are taking precautionary steps.
Lots of great advice. You should have no problems with draining tank and adding non-ethanol fuel. Ck the tank and drained fuel after. I have heard that ethanol loves to do terrible things to plastic tanks.
Battery tender and ck the volts from the menu, 1 click down I believe.
I would change oil but that is me.
Wouldn't pull plugs till I tried fresh fuel and charged battery. You can also jump the bike from your car just don't have the car running if you want to try before replacing the battery. Takes a lot to crank btw especially in the cold.
Stored in a good place? How do the tires look? Was the bike on stands or at least sitting on carpet? If not, flat spots are in your future and have to think about new tires.
Keep us posted

he didn't prep the bike and left the fuel in the tank. I just planed on draining the tank. Is it going to be an issue that he left fuel in it for that long, or will it be fine to just drain it and add new fuel?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Drain the tank and replace the fuel filter and dump some Marvel Mystery oil into the tank. Get the big jug.
Put some in the spark plug holes.
Crank the engine over a few times to get the MMO in the tank into the fuel pump and injectors.

Let it sit for a few days.

Drain out the MMO from the tank and try to start with gas.
You don't want to have a 50/50 mix of gas and MMO.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am going to start working on it Thursday. The bike has a few minor issues due to the improper storage. Those issues helped me get the bike for really cheap. I plan on this being a winter project to get it running right before the spring. I will let you guys know what I find out Thursday or Friday. I imagine I will probably be seeking a lot of help from you guys. Thanks again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
People amaze me but at least you are taking precautionary steps.
Lots of great advice. You should have no problems with draining tank and adding non-ethanol fuel. Ck the tank and drained fuel after. I have heard that ethanol loves to do terrible things to plastic tanks.
Battery tender and ck the volts from the menu, 1 click down I believe.
I would change oil but that is me.
Wouldn't pull plugs till I tried fresh fuel and charged battery. You can also jump the bike from your car just don't have the car running if you want to try before replacing the battery. Takes a lot to crank btw especially in the cold.
Stored in a good place? How do the tires look? Was the bike on stands or at least sitting on carpet? If not, flat spots are in your future and have to think about new tires.
Keep us posted
He had the bike stored in a garage but it wasn't on stands or carpet. It is not really a big deal though because the tires needed replacement anyways.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drain the tank and replace the fuel filter and dump some Marvel Mystery oil into the tank. Get the big jug.
Put some in the spark plug holes.
Crank the engine over a few times to get the MMO in the tank into the fuel pump and injectors.

Let it sit for a few days.

Drain out the MMO from the tank and try to start with gas.
You don't want to have a 50/50 mix of gas and MMO.

Good Luck.
Hey Mike,
I have watched some of your YouTube videos for other issues that my bike is having. Is there any reason why you suggest MMO over SeaFoam?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.