Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2012 1100 evo off the original owner back in January with 1200 miles on it. It now has 5000 and today it let me down. i was out riding for a bit and the rear brake was making a funny noise but i didn't think much of it. a little more than 45 min into riding my rear brake completely failed and i thought it seized because i couldn't roll the bike in neutral and had no feeling in the brake pedal. i rode back to my house more than 5 miles away and i come home and see this. IM FREAKED. what the heck happened? Please let me know if you have seen this before. i am finally feeling the ducati tax haha this doesn't look cheap

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
That picture shows the brake rotor which looks to be intact but the ABS "tone ring" is clearly buggered up. The question is what did that to it. Nothing touches the ABS ring in normal operation, but I'm guessing something is messed up in your rear brake caliper and that caught on the ABS ring and did that. But I think this is an effect and not the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, the title was a little exagerated but it does look horrible. Is there any guess on what would have caused this? Im going to take it to Ferraci and see whats what but i would like to make sure this doesn't happen again, obviously.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I bought my 2012 1100 evo off the original owner back in January with 1200 miles on it. It now has 5000 and today it let me down. i was out riding for a bit and the rear brake was making a funny noise but i didn't think much of it. a little more than 45 min into riding my rear brake completely failed and i thought it seized because i couldn't roll the bike in neutral and had no feeling in the brake pedal. i rode back to my house more than 5 miles away and i come home and see this. IM FREAKED. what the heck happened? Please let me know if you have seen this before. i am finally feeling the ducati tax haha this doesn't look cheap
jeez man...you knew it was making a "funny noise" but rode it for 45 minutes anyway? hope you learned your lesson.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
let me clarify, it made a squealing noise as it was something with the pads, i took a look at it and saw nothing so i kept riding

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also, when it did lock up i pulled over to a gas station didnt see anything like the picture and thought it was okay to ride home...i did learn my lesson with that. I should have towed it

·
Registered
110 Posts
My brothers did exactly that and it was caused by a spacer left out by the tyre fitter.

It ran fine initially (about 60 miles or so) but without the spacer the spindle put side loads onto the wheel bearing which eventually broke up allowing the wheel to move and the abs ring to hit the caliper bracket.

It destroyed the bearing, abs ring and the wheel (bearing seat wrecked) and also the caliper bracket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tire hasn't been touched since i owned it, do you think it could have went 4000+ miles without it and then fail like that?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The tire hasn't been touched since i owned it, do you think it could have went 4000+ miles without it and then fail like that?
Seems unlikely! But I can see now in the photo that the rotor mounting bolt is out and appears to be tangled up in the ABS disc. My guess would be that it was not properly torqued and worked its way out until it hit something and then was wedged into the ABS ring.

What did it hit? Can't see from here but perhaps the brake caliper. Not sure what your mechanic skills are but this is probably not too tough to fix.

But definitely check the other rotor mounting bolts for proper torque. I'm not sure if the service manual calls for thread-locker on these but I like to use blue (non-permanent) Loc-Tite on brake rotor bolts.

The good news is that you didn't crash when this happens so you don't have injuries and other bike damage to worry about as well as this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue with 2014 Hyperstrada 821. Was cover by dealer warrenty only 7000km. A tyre was repalced but told they never touched the tone ring.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My guess would be that it was not properly torqued and worked its way out until it hit something and then was wedged into the ABS ring.
Agree. The bolt doesn't look like it was sheered off. Happened to me recently on the bolt that holds the rear brake pedal bolted to the frame. Luckily caught it in time.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Take off the wheel, take off the sprocket, remove the axle. Then send pics of the process and resulting damage on all the parts laid out in order from hub nut to hub nut.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.