Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out of the country for a while. Had my uncle ride my 08 848 once a month to keep the juices flowing, just got back. He dropped it coming to a stop sign. No big deal but big deal now. I have vortex adjustable rearsets on them. He tippied it over full force on it and it bent the rearsets to the exhaust. Looks like the rearset is strait and its where the bolts are on the frame that bent. Don't seem to be cracked but have heard nightmare stories of this when you now have a salvage title frame because of a crack in the rearset bolt. Can I bend it back safely??? Need some advice please

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Yep... the brackets are very soft metal. I have bent mine back numerous times... I have realigned them by, both methods, leaving the rearset peg holders atteched, and removed with just the bolts attached. Line em up best you can by slowly bending them back into place using the "good side" as a guide... reinstall, look again, adjust as necessary, and continue on. again... use as little pry force and go very slowly...easy fix.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
btw... my tool of choose was/is and old, kinda flat, Michelin tire tool...the shape is perfect for using the single sided swing arm, (around the area of the pivot bolt) as a purchase for/as lever base.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks nick but I'm hoping to keep the frame as is so I can sell it with a clean street bike title. Its going to be for sale soon and I'm just going to get a track bike. I'm mostly wanting to know how and what tools are best to try and bend it back.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I made a plate that bolted to the front and back of the rearsets which got the face of both tabs parallel to eachother again, then I put a crescent wrench in the center of the bar and pulled it back to the location I wanted the rear sets to be at.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
^^Bettet solution# I would like to have your plate!! Let me know plz.. thanks...Bob.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. So you are putting the plates on both sides and using those to bend it back strait. Sorry if its a stupid question, I'm not to good mechanically

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
^a bent frame tab is a totaled bike. You'll have a better chance replacing it with a speedy moto tabs-which are much better than those OEM. Plus the integrity of the tab has changed, therefore, it might be a potential hazards (i.e breaks off after pushing weights on it
Consider it as a future investment for the next buyer. You just gotta find a good painter to match

1 - 10 of 10 Posts