Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
800ftlb impact gun and this thing isn't budging. Anyone have this problem ever? Ideas? Rent a huge 1500ftlb impact maybe? Sheesh

uploadfromtaptalk1403461156010.jpg

·
Registered
360 Posts
holy shit!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
holy shit!
It surprised me because back when I got my 1098S I wanted to take off the rear wheel. My Harbor Freight impact wrench that was 450ftlb along with an aluminum socket wouldnt work. The socket busted. I got the like 3' breaker bar I have and I tried with all my might, all the breaker bar did was flex and wore me out. I ended up getting a steel socket and this quality 800ft lb impact. It took off the rear wheel piece of cake. So I didnt even bother using a breaker bar on the hex nut. So I was surprised when it didnt really take too much strength from me (I mean I did try, but not 100%) and it came off fine with the breaker bar.

This did the job easy

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
That's a magnificent looking bar you have there Agr0. ;)

I'll speculate there was not enough inertia in the clutch hub for the rattle gun to do its job effectively.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I checked that first. . Besides I got it off ez w a breaker bar. . It was loctited and torqued to like 180nm

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a magnificent looking bar you have there Agr0. ;)

I'll speculate there was not enough inertia in the clutch hub for the rattle gun to do its job effectively.
Harbor freight buddy. Cheap. Worked well. Thx

·
Registered
886 Posts
it's all your adapters, they hurt the performance of the impact part of the impact gun. we had a similar issue at work with a brand new MAC 1400 ft/lb gun.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Yes! A socket that fits directly onto your rattle gun at one end and directly into the nut at the other end is important for the correct function of your impact gun.
Such a socket is readily available - I think mine was less than $20, but that was a while ago.
Having multiple 'stages' between the two will dissipate the action of the impact driver at each coupling. You will probably see some effects of hammering on the corners of the sockets you used.
Worth having the correct socket given the frequency these clutches need attention...

:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts