Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello brothers! Long time not posting but I'm in need of your guys help. So I'm from San Diego went to the Star Wars celebration that was held this week in anahiem so I left my place at 4am every thing was great getting there my bike temp went up to maybe 150 on 5th gear had no problems. Coming back later that day was a problem, outside temp was roughly around 73 at 3ish in the afternoon and as I've traveled about 50 some odd miles my bike starts to kinda surge I have my hand steady on throttle and the engine starts to surge losing rpm from 7k to 4k but coming back to 7k after a few seconds,this keeps happening so I figure it is dangerous to ride like this in the freeway so I pull over but before I pull over my bike temp is around 189-190 and I'm traveling in top gear doing about 90mph. I shut my bike down let it cool off for about 5 min then start her up and take off well everything was good but after maybe 15 min of riding this happens again so I get annoyed and pop the clutch and rev up bike let go of clutch and it starts to ride good but then it just surged onced again but this time whole engine shut off so I pull over and turn off bike and try to start it up and it sounded like the bike did not want to turn over but it did so I turned it off to check my oil level and oil was good, so I wait another 5 and take off but this time I travel with my rpm from 4-5 and speed of 70ish afraid to go higher due to this happening. My question is can the bike overheat so much that this happens? I have a new batt new rectifier just had the service done but was having the same prob b4 service,to me it feels like it is a fuel issue or something sorry for the long story but wanted to be as detailed for the help thanks!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Sounds like a fueling or ignition (voltage) issue to me. 190 degree is no big deal, these engines can run upwards of 230 without too much problem, so it's absolutely not over heating.

If you haven't done the fuel filter, start there because it's a basic maintenance item.

Next, I'd analyze the voltage coming from your charging system and of course your battery and the connections.

It would be nice to know if the bike is stock or if there were any mods made, especially recent ones. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything on this bike is stock 2008 848. It has a new batt and always stays charged at 14.2 around that area , have not changed the fuel filter yet but I will try that

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
Tps?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So people it did it again havnt had time to change fuel filter but today I gassed up and jumped onto the free way and gave it full throttle and the engine rpm just went down from 8k to 4k so I pulled over and put my gear to N and started the bike right up well when I was ready to go I put it to first gear and it shut off(the only think I can think of is my kick stand at this point) so I put it in N again kick my kick stand down and right back up again changed to 1st and was good the rest of the way. What do you guys think ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts