Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

New here to hypermotards, not new to bikes although it has been some time since i rode. I picked up a 796 and have a few question off my head.

1. Is there a way to turn off the immobilizer, i don't like the fact the dash keeps blinking the red led would prefer to just disable it if possible?

2. 15w50 is this the proper oil for this bike? The manual has about 4 different weights listed but i believe the USA model is 15w50. I normally use mobil1 15w50 for my performance motors and it runs fine even on motorcycles with wet clutch.

3. Bike has a bazzaz z-fi and there is a lot of popping on decel so it needs a tune for sure, previous owner said it was rich but I'm not sure until i look at the map since he said it was tuned when he was up in the mountains at much higher altitude one would think it is running lean but I'll check the spark plug and that will be a tale sign aside from looking at the map. Was thinking of getting the z-afm and tuning it myself rather than a one time dyno fee. I've done a search and read peoples experience with the bazzaz and it is really a hit or miss. Any tips on the z-afm?

4. The seat so far seems nice and comfortable but was just my experience from a short ride around the block. Any gel seat recommendations?

5. Lastly I'll look more into this but I read this has an obd2 proprietary plug so i plan to find this proper usb/serial adapter and check for previous codes if any. Any suggestions on kits for this?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I think the red light eventually turns off. I noticed over the winter that mine stopped blinking after I hadn't ridden it for a few weeks. :-( I was worried that the battery had died, but when I finally started it up it showed no sign whatsoever of a weak battery. And the blinking came back next time I turned it off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes red light blinks 24 hours after the bike is turned off.

Regarding the oil, the first number is is the weight of the oil prior to it being warm. A 40 is a 40.

So which one you use is relative to the area you ride in. If you do a lot of cold morning starts then go lighter. If you live in an area where it's always warm hot then go higher up to 15

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Everyone,

New here to hypermotards, not new to bikes although it has been some time since i rode. I picked up a 796 and have a few question off my head.
Awesome its probably my favorite Ducati to ride on the street. The only big thing I would like to change is the suspension.

1. Is there a way to turn off the immobilizer, i don't like the fact the dash keeps blinking the red led would prefer to just disable it if possible?
My understanding from my 1098 track bike is the stock ECU, talks to the immobilizer (and key) and dash. All 3 pieces have to communicate for the bike to start properly. You could get a MicroTec ECU with the option to disable to immobilizer function and then remove the immobilizer. But that's a pretty expensive way to get rid of an annoying red light. I'm not sure if the Bazzaz

2. 15w50 is this the proper oil for this bike? The manual has about 4 different weights listed but i believe the USA model is 15w50. I normally use mobil1 15w50 for my performance motors and it runs fine even on motorcycles with wet clutch.
I like 10w40 for the wet clutch. Personal preference.

3. Bike has a bazzaz z-fi and there is a lot of popping on decel so it needs a tune for sure, previous owner said it was rich but I'm not sure until i look at the map since he said it was tuned when he was up in the mountains at much higher altitude one would think it is running lean but I'll check the spark plug and that will be a tale sign aside from looking at the map. Was thinking of getting the z-afm and tuning it myself rather than a one time dyno fee. I've done a search and read peoples experience with the bazzaz and it is really a hit or miss. Any tips on the z-afm?
Mine is bone stock and pops a lot on decel.

4. The seat so far seems nice and comfortable but was just my experience from a short ride around the block. Any gel seat recommendations?

5. Lastly I'll look more into this but I read this has an obd2 proprietary plug so i plan to find this proper usb/serial adapter and check for previous codes if any. Any suggestions on kits for this?
I'd love to find a good seat and OBD2 reader. Post up when you find one you like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.