Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has placed HID on their 1098. I have some on my R6 and I love them. Can see everything at night. Whoever has done it, is it hard? I keep reading how it is so hard to take of fairing because of the bolts. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YUP it does, especially at night. I only had the low beam on, and it was really bright. I use 5000k HID on my R6. I got my kit for $200. Am just wondering how hard of an install it would be compared to a jap bike

·
Registered
337 Posts
Looks pretty impressive.
Does anyone know of a U.S. vendor?

·
Registered
162 Posts
So is that HID system for the 1098 reliable or not? Because I would jump on this if its possible?!?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it is, never had any problems with HID I placed on my R6. At night, I was able to use my helmet which had the tinted lenses using only the low beam

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I know a bunch of people that rock HIDS on their 600RR's but the one guy I knew who swapped them out to projectors ended up actually melting the plastic on the light!

Jason

·
Registered
337 Posts
Visitor Q said:
I know a bunch of people that rock HIDS on their 600RR's but the one guy I knew who swapped them out to projectors ended up actually melting the plastic on the light!

Jason
-----------
Can we get replacement/upgraded lense plastic?
If it makes as much of a diff as it does on a car (bmw for ex) then I'd love to do it.

·
Site sponsor
880 Posts
We installed a set of 12000's for low and high beam, modifications to the back of the headlight is requiered since the bolts are longer. Everything together did run apx. $ 480.00 and takes apx. 4-6 hours to do it right. Not something I would suggest to do without plenty of knowlage and the right tools. I would not even dream of doing it by mysleve.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
SHIFT-TECH said:
We installed a set of 12000's for low and high beam, modifications to the back of the headlight is requiered since the bolts are longer. Everything together did run apx. $ 480.00 and takes apx. 4-6 hours to do it right. Not something I would suggest to do without plenty of knowlage and the right tools. I would not even dream of doing it by mysleve.
I'm not doubting you but the e-Moto site makes it sound like a plug-n-play operation and about $420 for the 6000k system, $380 for the 4100k.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just sent an e-mail to the e-Moto folks requesting a copy of the installation instructions. I'll post them if/when I get them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
charliep - The 1098 uses an H11 bulb for both low and high beam I believe. Are you saying that we will need to retro-fit an H3 into the 1098 ... or, that your 996 wa the H3 and it fit right in..... and that we just need to purchase the H11 kit from this Ebay seller?

Did you purchase the auto kit that includes 2 ballasts and HID bulbs touse for both high and low beam? Or did u just do low beam?

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am giving my experience on my 996 which uses an H3 low beam and an H1 high beam. unfortuantely I am on a waiting list for a black s. the website has H11 kits also.

I just did the low beam but changed my wiring so that when I switch to high beam, both hi and lo are on together. I could have changed the hi beam also, but right now i am happy with this set up.

as a side note, the HID set up's raw less current/power than halogen so no issues with alternator keeping up with the load.

The ballast box on the HID steps up the 12V of the bikes system to 12kV for the HID lamp.

Not to hard to install given a basic understanding of what is going on.

·
Site sponsor
880 Posts
Ten-6 said:
I'm not doubting you but the e-Moto site makes it sound like a plug-n-play operation and about $420 for the 6000k system, $380 for the 4100k.

May very well be but we did purchase all the parts localy here in Florida mid. Feb. when there was nothing elsewhere offered and gave it a try, maby somebody finaly came up with a nice quick package deal.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Got'ya, A totally one-off system. That, I can see being more involved.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
smeelge said:
Hey Colorob,

I need to understand something, what made you choose the 6000k as say for example the 10000K?
10000k gives more of a purple color but less light output. If you want to maximize the brightness go with a 4100k. I used 6000k, its right in the middle in brightness and gives a bluish color

1 - 20 of 420 Posts