Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 40 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Smeelge -
I concur with Doc there. The higher you go up in kelvin (k) - the lower your lumens actually is (the amount of actual light output). Have you ever seen those sooped-up Japanese racers (like Hondas, Toyotas, ect) that have REALLY blue or even purpleish HID headlights? Those guys have 10,000k or over - not quite fitting for the purpose-built 1098 I would say.

I have 4500k stock on my Audi S4 and they are pretty much "hyper white" - 6000k gives you that slightly blueish-white light... and doesn't suffer the loss of lumens. If you have seen stock late-model BWMs' headlights - that is closer to the real world look that a 6000k light would provide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
auto/motorcycle HID xenon light on sale

Hello,everybody,

Are you planing to buy HID Xenon light for you car or mortorcyle?we have all the HID Light model for all the car and motorcycle with high quanlity and competitive price.The products cover the color temperature from 4300k to 12000k as well as some color bulb light.
For more info about us you can browse our website
www.popnowhid.com.if any item are of interest to you pls feel free to contact us.we will be gald to offer you all best price and service.

E-mail: [email protected]

MSN: [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
OK - my HID installation was a success! I purchased the 2 ballast/bulb H11 6000k kit and now have both high and low-beam HIDs. It was a very straightforward install - just had to drill a couple 3/4 inch holes in the headlight housing covers to allow the wires from the HID bulbs to exit to the ballasts (which I mounted behind the left and right fairings).

It took me a total of one hour and it looks AWESOME with the new crisp light. This is really what Ducati should have installed from the factory I think. A headlight system befitting the Ducati name - I know today's Ferrari doesn't come with halogens..... so why not the "Ferrari of motorcycles" ? :)

I can take pics when I get back from a business trip next week.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
colorob said:
OK - my HID installation was a success! I purchased the 2 ballast/bulb H11 6000k kit and now have both high and low-beam HIDs. It was a very straightforward install - just had to drill a couple 3/4 inch holes in the headlight housing covers to allow the wires from the HID bulbs to exit to the ballasts (which I mounted behind the left and right fairings).

It took me a total of one hour and it looks AWESOME with the new crisp light. This is really what Ducati should have installed from the factory I think. A headlight system befitting the Ducati name - I know today's Ferrari doesn't come with halogens..... so why not the "Ferrari of motorcycles" ? :)

I can take pics when I get back from a business trip next week.
Rob,

HOLY FRIGG!! 3/4" holes?!?! for wires? What am I missing? If you're going to post some pics for us, would you mind including shots of the holes, so I can see what you mean?

Were the instructions straight forward? I really like the look too, and althought I'm pretty handy, I'm a little reluctant because she so new and I don't want to f-up. Any way you can scan and post the installation instructions too?

Much appreciated....Rob.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Smeegle.... Here ya go, that's that LARGE rubber gromet we're all talking about. There are a total of four wires that go through it. You could most def use a smaller gromet, but that's what the kit I got came with already setup with, so instead of hunting down a smaller gromet, that's what I used.

I've covered the four wires using a small piece of black plastic automotive wire loom. Kind of cleans it up a bit.

Here are the "plug n play" instructions that came with my kit. As you can see its VERY easy to set up. There's no cutting, splicing, or any actual "wirring" that needs to be done. Just plug and play....

Ohhh and FYI the bottom second installation option on the install sheet is what you'll need to follow for the 1098 install.....

Hope these pics help...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Last but not least, to make the 3/4" hole drilling easy and quick, may I suggest the use of a "Unibit" . . . .

You can pick one up from most any hardware store or the depot. They're a bit on the pricey side, sometimes costing as much as a whole set of drill bits, but remember you're paying for the ease of use and convenience. They work equally well on plastic as they do on metal and wood. It’s a great all in one tool box bit!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Thanks Ducati Guy....

I just went to the ebay site to order a set on-line and it won't accept my payment even though I'm using PayPal...why? becuase I'm from Canada! WTF!

I've sent them a note and hope to hear from them soon...

Much appreciated....how about some pics with the ligths in action? I don't recall seeing them in your album...errrr maybe I was disctracted? I'll check again...my luck I'll get distracted again...

Cheers :yo:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
No worries man... Sorry to hear about your eBay woes... See if they can work something out for ya.

As for some action pics, I'll see if I can get a running / motion vid of my 1098 with the HID's tonight...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm getting a new dig camera in a couple days and will post pics ASAP - of the dual HID setup. From what I see of DucatiGuy's, our wiring is identical - and I have the 6000k color temperature as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
SHIFT-TECH said:
May very well be but we did purchase all the parts localy here in Florida mid. Feb. when there was nothing elsewhere offered and gave it a try, maby somebody finaly came up with a nice quick package deal.

SHIFT-TECH welcome to the correct forum. The other 1098 forum has gone totally to seed. The forum owner micro manages all content and no discussion of any products that do not sponsor the site.

Total mercenaries as evidenced by the fact that site owner and most mods don't even own a duc, just other forum sites.

Glad you made over, welcome.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don;t think we order it from the same place - but the wiring from DucatiGuy's pics looks identical to mine. I order the 2 ballast/bulb kit off of an E-bay merchant. Good service - I can send the link via PM if you like.

·
Registered
176 Posts
colorob said:
I don;t think we order it from the same place - but the wiring from DucatiGuy's pics looks identical to mine. I order the 2 ballast/bulb kit off of an E-bay merchant. Good service - I can send the link via PM if you like.
Could you please send me the info too? Do those lights get very hot? I'd hate for something to melt.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Please do send me the link, I just rode through some mountains last night, and I really do need better lights.

Thanks,

Roberto

21 - 40 of 420 Posts