Ducati.org forum banner

41 - 60 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
colorob said:
I don;t think we order it from the same place - but the wiring from DucatiGuy's pics looks identical to mine. I order the 2 ballast/bulb kit off of an E-bay merchant. Good service - I can send the link via PM if you like.
Hey Colorob,

Where did you mount the ballasts? Do you have any pics' to share, I'm thinking of doing the same...

Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Smeegle (did you know your username is spelled "smeelge")?

Unfortunately I didn't have my digital cam during installation - and those fiarings are such a PITA to remove - screw by screw. Otherwise I'd take them off for more pics. I can tell you that I mounted them on each side right behind the fairing - about 10 inches under the tank. The ballasts are small and slide into mounting brackets included with the kit. I just used 2-3 zip ties that came with the kit to secure the ballasts to the frame.

If you get the kit and need help just let me know - it's very satisfying once complete and your HID's POP to life each time you fire up the bike :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
colorob said:

Unfortunately I didn't have my digital cam during installation - and those fiarings are such a PITA to remove - screw by screw. Otherwise I'd take them off for more pics. I can tell you that I mounted them on each side right behind the fairing - about 10 inches under the tank. The ballasts are small and slide into mounting brackets included with the kit. I just used 2-3 zip ties that came with the kit to secure the ballasts to the frame.

If you get the kit and need help just let me know - it's very satisfying once complete and your HID's POP to life each time you fire up the bike :)
can you send me also the link? Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you send my the link also colorob am hopefully picking up my black 1098 tomorrow and would like to do the mod thanks tony.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
colorob said:

About my username spelled as "smeelge", yes I know. I made a typo when I registered and am now unable to change it....

Thanks for the info. I heard you had to keep the ballasts away from any source of heat, so I was wondering what the best spot was? Anyway, they look so good, I'm going to order the kit and figure it out when I get them. I will take you up on your offer and thanks, I really appreciate it. :yo:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Colorob, firstly, thanks for the pics.
I tried to buy through the same e-bay merchant and because I am not in the USA, they mailed me and asked for my credit card details and to transact outside of e-bay. This sounds a bit dodgey. Did you do the same with no problems?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys,

What's the response time for the Hi Beam after it's been converted to HID?
I'm asking because my car has HID headlights but the Hi beams are standard Halogens.

I was told that the time to power up the ballast would reduce response.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Todka said:
Colorob, firstly, thanks for the pics.
I tried to buy through the same e-bay merchant and because I am not in the USA, they mailed me and asked for my credit card details and to transact outside of e-bay. This sounds a bit dodgey. Did you do the same with no problems?

Thanks in advance,
Todd
Todd, I just paid them through PayPal without any hassles - so I'm not sure why they would request a transaction outside of Ebay. If your sure thse are the same guys from the link I sent - just let them know that there are others witht his bike that would like to order from them and that they have been referred by me. This should give you some credibility if they are concerend about your international location.

·
Registered
77 Posts
ohrich said:
Hi guys,

What's the response time for the Hi Beam after it's been converted to HID?
I'm asking because my car has HID headlights but the Hi beams are standard Halogens.

I was told that the time to power up the ballast would reduce response.
My HID high-beam takes about 5 seconds to warm up - something to consider if you feel safer with instant high-beams. The low beam is quite powerful - so I rarely use highbeam unless in backcountry mountain roads - at which time 5 seconds to warm up is not a deterrent for me - I like the look of dual HID's as ooposed to one yellowish-looking high as compared to the HID low.

·
Registered
159 Posts
colorob said:
Todd, I just paid them through PayPal without any hassles - so I'm not sure why they would request a transaction outside of Ebay. If your sure thse are the same guys from the link I sent - just let them know that there are others witht his bike that would like to order from them and that they have been referred by me. This should give you some credibility if they are concerend about your international location.
They dont accept paypal payments from people outside the US. I tried to buy it after reading up on colourob HID install ( looks sweet btw ) :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Duc1098S, on behalf of you and any others outside of the US that wish to order these HIDs from this Ebay vendor - I would be happy to write them an e-mail as a customer to request that they allow you to order from outside of the US.

Let me know - otherwise, this kit is not unique as I believe Ducman ordered the same kit from a different vendor (although it was a single HID kit).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hey guys, can one one you all send me the link again. The link I got previously is now not working. thanks

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Colorob, Thanks for the offer. Ill just buy from another vendor.

I have ordered some PIAA 4700K H11's for the high beam. I had these on my R1 and should be a good colour match for the 5000K HID low beam, and give me "instant on". I had similar on my R1. Theyre pretty good and roughly double the lumens from normal bulbs.

Cheers,
Todd

·
Registered
30 Posts
My uncle had a set of HIDs on his Z4, but he traded it in. He took the HID kit off before he turned it in and it has been sitting in his garage. Turns out they are the same bulb size as on the 1098 so I "borrowed" them and installed it. I could only get one ballast to fit under the dash and on top of the headlight so I just did the low beam. Not too hard to install, just had to drill a hole in the plastic cover for the bulb.

·
Registered
180 Posts
These guys would sell alot more kit if they just accepted proper payment methods. Just tried to order 4 kits for my bike and some friends but cant. Why do they bother to list carriage to U.K if you cant pay for it???

·
Registered
588 Posts
Would you have to use then two kits of bulbs and ingnitors when you want HID for high and low beam? I think yes.

How is finally the experience over all this time with the HID and ignitors for the 1098? Or is it enough just to change the bulb and have the same HID like used with the ignitors?

·
Registered
354 Posts
You can't make an HID system by just changing the bulb. You need the ignitor, etc, etc. Otherwise the spark won't jump the arc.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Part deux

And yes you need one kit per bulb (one for high and one for low)

Franken said:
Would you have to use then two kits of bulbs and ingnitors when you want HID for high and low beam? I think yes.

How is finally the experience over all this time with the HID and ignitors for the 1098? Or is it enough just to change the bulb and have the same HID like used with the ignitors?

41 - 60 of 420 Posts