Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 848 suffered a hit and run yesterday in a parking lot. Luckily, two people saw the entire incident and got the plate number of the perp. So I'm filed a hit and run report and it's a criminal offense, so the person is in deep shit. The two people gave statements and the police are pursuing the charges.

Now I have to get my bike fixed. The police say her insurance will have to cover the damages which include: left mid fairing, gas tank, rear tail, shift lever, left mirror, left bar end, and right side passenger footpeg.

I'm going to get an estimate from the ducati dealer for her insurance to cover the cost of replacing everything with OEM parts, but then I get to decide if I want to get all new factory plastics(fairing, tank, tail) or if I want to get the bike repainted and maybe put some minor custom touches on it and perhaps save a bit of money. I'm not sure what custom paint jobs go for, but at the most it would only be some small custom stripes here and there. Nothing too fancy..

So should I go with the OEM stuff, or try for a nice paint job?

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These pics were taken before the accident.. Just wanted to show that there is some minor custom pin striping and vinyl work on the lower mid fairing (two green strips) and on the top of the tail (red vinyl and green pin stripes).. Sry they're kinda hard to see.

·
Registered
979 Posts
show some pics witht he after damage, and with insurance money, if you look good, you can get both oem and a set of custom ones if you wanted. i did with my little spill and came out way ahead.

best way is to buy alot of parts from forum members and just install yourself. they are pretty easy.

-Carbon

·
Registered
340 Posts
love it when justice is being served. Can't stand punk as people who do not know how to take responsibility for there actions. so at least ASV levers, aluminium tank and custom paint it to match your current theme.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
show some pics witht he after damage, and with insurance money, if you look good, you can get both oem and a set of custom ones if you wanted. i did with my little spill and came out way ahead.

best way is to buy alot of parts from forum members and just install yourself. they are pretty easy.

-Carbon
Good idea!

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
You're gonna get a pretty decent amount of insurance $$ considering just one OEM mid-fairing is $650. Don't ask me how I know...:rolleyes:

My advice is to get fairings here if you're gonna have them painted anyway; saves you money that can then either be put into your pocket or back into the bike. You're gonna want some more red on the machine anyway to tie in the belly pan and tail piece.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
BTW I've got an OEM pearl white left mid-fairing if yours isn't repairable. Mine has minor scrapes (barely through the clearcoat really, but I went with replacement rather than trying to color match) and no cracks. It does have to be used with a Dzus fastener kit though, since the holes were slightly enlarged for it...

If you're interested at all I'll post pics.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're gonna get a pretty decent amount of insurance $$ considering just one OEM mid-fairing is $650. Don't ask me how I know...:rolleyes:

My advice is to get fairings here if you're gonna have them painted anyway; saves you money that can then either be put into your pocket or back into the bike. You're gonna want some more red on the machine anyway to tie in the belly pan and tail piece.
If I'm having it painted I can most likely keep the current fairings.. They are scratched up, but I'm sure the scratches can be sanded out before painting

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
If I'm having it painted I can most likely keep the current fairings.. They are scratched up, but I'm sure the scratches can be sanded out before painting
Yeah, I was just about to say that I think you may have lucked out. Before you posted pics I was assuming cracks and all sorts of destruction. Those can definitely be fixed up good as new for a whole lot less than what insurance is going to give you for them.:)

Make sure you replace the tank with one that's aluminum or kevlar... It's not that much more $$ than an OEM replacement (you'll have plenty to work with anyway), and they don't swell up like the stock one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I was just about to say that I think you may have lucked out. Before you posted pics I was assuming cracks and all sorts of destruction. Those can definitely be fixed up good as new for a whole lot less than what insurance is going to give you for them.:)

Make sure you replace the tank with one that's aluminum or kevlar... It's not that much more $$ than an OEM replacement (you'll have plenty to work with anyway), and they don't swell up like the stock one.
Yea the stock OEM tank is pretty expensive.. Does swelling occur in all the OEM tanks?

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
My bike had tip-over damage to the mid-fairing, swing arm, mirror, axle nut, bar end, rearset, and frame tabs. It amounted to over $4800 in damages not including the frame tabs, which could have resulted in a salvage. If the tank had gotten dinged I definitely would have replaced it with aluminum. As it was I used the extra $$ for full Ohlins.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Double check the front fairing stay. It's like a toothpick.
+1. You really lucked out considering it landed on a curb like that...:eek:

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Yea the stock OEM tank is pretty expensive.. Does swelling occur in all the OEM tanks?
Pretty much all of them that get the 10% EtOH gas, which is pretty much the entire US. I hear it's worse in southern states for some reason, but I can't confirm that. What I can confirm is that my original tank swelled, cracked, leaked, and was replaced for free by another one that's now a little bigger in the front than it was when it went on...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I guess I'll have to wait and see what the insurance company gives me before making any decisions.. Gonna have to get an estimate from the Ducati shop once the police sort everything out. Still waiting on one of the witnesses to give a statement

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would say do something that you really like. insurance will pay you the whole amount including labor. so go to ducati and get an estimate of what is the damage and how much is to fix it.

tell them that you will give this paper to insurance, so they can put anything that they see damaged.

dont tell them about custom shit that you are thinking to do, they may not be a helpful

and give the paper to your insurance, get the money and decide. im sure you may have 2K+ in your pocket if you go with used stuff

·
Banned
578 Posts
I have a Right Hand side OEM Corse mid and lower if you go that route, its in perfect condition.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts