Ducati.org forum banner

HM needs more power!!!

9K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Labratt 
#1 ·
Well I do like the Motard but I’m finding it a bit limp in the pants department now that I have ridden it hard and the novelty has worn off!!!! OK it’s stock at the moment but even with some serious engine mods it will still be a bit behind in balls to what I’m used too.

The handling is fantastic and I love that part, I know it’s horses for courses, however the fact remains I would like more power!!!!

I’m maybe thinking about a 4 valve 748/749 or 998/999 type motor swap tuned for grunt. What do you think? I’m just kicking it around at the moment, maybe something for the future…… Retro fitting a different motor will not a problem, I have a fully decked out workshop, this is the type of thing we do all the time.

#2 ·
Yes - as much as I like the 2 valvers, they have sort of hit their limit in the pants department.
Sounds like you already have a plan and the workshop!
I was keen to see the Martin Brickwood mods for the 2 valver but not sure if these are available for the new DS motors. But - then again, is that going to enough power for you? (100+)
How are you going to go with engine mounts if you put a different donk in?

#3 ·
I would re work the frame; I’m a bit disturbed with the fact that the frame is made from seamed tube not drawn like Reynolds or Chrome Molly.
The 1098 frame is the same, weak as piss if you have a knock or you race on a track that has more corners on one side, eventually the frame would be bias and would need to be re jigged to make it straight.

I raced and made my own speedway cars for years; no way would I build one that’s made from seam tube!!!!

Lucky for me I have all the kit, I may even copy the frame leaving the OEM motor and frame in standard form and make a beast with the same bolt on parts arrangement, not sure yet.

I would turbo the motor if I thought it would perform as good as my turbo Triumph’s, I’ve got them sorted with over 100 ft-lb of toque @ 5000rpm and a nice 50+BHP on the top. Very rideable and tractable power with no lag. Using a small turbo, boost is made at low rpm so it’s not nasty at all.

I’ve never fitted a turbo to a Ducati or any twin for that mater and I cant tune the Ducati ECU like I can on the Triumph’s that we make turbo kits for, they use the Sagem MC1000 ECU fully programmable.

Don’t think that a turbo bike is unrideable!!! If you use the right turbo and set it up properly you will have the best of both worlds. Grunt and reliability, believe it or not a turbo motor tends to get less abuse than a N/A motor.

Attachments

#4 ·
One other thing, looking at the cam duration of the HM it's quite mild so from that point of view they would lend themselves to a turbo very easily..... The turbo would only add a few kg in weight..... Hmmm....

I wonder if the 2 valve can spin a little turbo at low rpm fast enough, with long header pipes and the limited pulse of a twin it may not be able to keep the heat and pressure that’s needed to make boost (5psi on std comp).

I know the guy in Perth drag races a turbo Ducati but that’s a different application altogether, I would be looking for smooth power delivery at low rpm not a smack on the back of my head drag race style!!!

#7 ·
I agree that the HM in stock condition is a little on the slow side but this all depends on what you did ride before.

Just the Termi full race system wakes her up big time already, I was very suprised about this myselve not to mentione the sound of it.

I have the the DP cams, HC pistons, head porting , Powercommander and the Termi full race head pipes with Termi slipon (custom job) and 105HP on the rear wheel- now it's big time fun :D

Just do the full system ( have 2 systems available) and you will have a smile on your face after your first ride, if you go for the cams ( a bargain at just under $ 500.00) you won't be able to wipe that smile of for a few days.

Attachments

#10 ·
Hey Shift,

I have a change of plans now!!! It’s going to be supercharged!!! I have a lovely screw charger that will fit were the airbox now sits. This will be a kit for any efi 2 valve Ducati.

With the STD mild cam duration and low compression, the HM is a perfect set-up for boosting.

I have worked out the drive for the charger and it will be a sleeper with almost no sign of the supercharger…. Hopefully I will have it sorted early in the New Year….

#13 ·
Hey Shift,

105 HP sounds great. One quick question: With the combo Termin Racing/ Termi normal, did you eliminate the cat or is it still in there? I am also thinking about some modifications during this winter. What is your take on the DP cams & cat elimination kit with the standard exhaust?

Regards

Wolfgang

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.