Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,810 Posts
Good work Oldtech. I have a combination of homemade and manufactured tools which allow me to work on most Ducati models.
I have a collection of quite large and impressive factory tools for the old 'bevel' models. Not getting much use these days..
But the modern engine isn't as difficult to dismantle and rebuild as the earlier air-cooled versions in some respects - e.g. the primary drive gear is no longer a taper fit onto the crankshaft, and hence does not need the powerful puller required for the earlier versions.
The "Elastic Nuts" you refer to on the camshafts and half-time shaft are usually referred to as SKF nuts, after the bearing manufacturer. They are actually steel, zinc-plated. You will see the odd one with rust developing.
Keep up the good work. You also might want to check out Motomfg for Ducati tools at a good price. Almost cheaper than making them yourself..

;)

· Registered
6,810 Posts
OK. Another difference between the 848 and the larger versions. (I haven't been that far into the 848). The larger engine employs a straight spline for this gear. It just slips off easily.
Getting the gear off the tapered models can get a bit exciting. I've had them jump almost a metre from the bike with a loud bang!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.