Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
DucatiSpot Ambassador
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, thought I'd throw an out the box question to this audience (as we all like to tick the GP bike for the road box)... All the hype and news of the Honda Desmo equivalent seems to have died down. Anyone have any hot off the press news / dates / final specs / images?

Plus - who here would be interested?

If it's anything like it's 'actual' race bike (and I kinda doubt that, def not the seamless gearbox) then I'd like a look-see. They just sound so high pitched and evil on track...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Honda had been working on this project on and off for years. However, it's been shelved for now. They would have to hire and outside firm to manufacture these limited edition machines and it's simply not cost effective. Remember, Ducati lost money on every Desmosedici manufactured. Honda doesn't do that kind of thing, they want to make a profit and simply don't see a way of doing it.

So don't hold your breath, my guess is Honda will be focusing their energy on electric superbikes instead of MotoGP based V4's.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Just look at the components on the bike. Magnesium wheel's, Gas charged forks, one-off hand-made V4 engine and street-going electronics, lots of carbon, titanium and magnesium as well. Dealers bought the bike for around $60,000 USD, which means Ducati had to make them for A LOT less. Honestly, I don't personally see how they could have. If you watch the building process (there are some great Italian videos on this) you will see volunteer staff from dealerships around the world, assembling the motors. You will see the assembly run by hand on specially built stands, all of which cost them a considerable amount of money to produce. Even if cost of goods and manufacturing was around $60k (which I feel is about right) that doesn't take into account making enough service parts to cover the 7 year warranty and it absolutely doesn't cover the labor fees dealers must charge for fixing them when they break. Desmosedici's are notorious for having blow-by issues and many bikes have been in the shops more then once for simple, but expensive engine service.

All of that to say, yes there is enough evidence to substantiate the claim "Ducati lost money on the Desmosedici project" which by the way, if you did a google search, you can find the articles which substantiate my comments.

Ducati could have continued producing Desmosedici's, but you may notice they haven't. That's simply because they learned their lesson and companies that loose money, will never stay alive. The Superleggera is already starting to have engine issues and it was just released. It's very hard to take a race bike and turn it into a reliable street going machine. I doubt we will see more of these from any manufacturer in the future, it's simply too risky.

·
Registered
451 Posts
One advantage the D16RR had over the Superleggera is that there was the very low design effort required for the D16RR. Unlike starting with a blank screen to design the Superleggera, the hard part had already been done in the race shop for the D16RR and they generally just ported the race parts over to "mass" production.

Another cost advantage that the D16RR had over the Superleggera was that the D16RR had almost no marketing effort.

When you Google "Ducati lost money Desmosedici" you see the word RUMOR or PROBABLY included in the hits, which is why I asked for a solid reference.

One of the reasons given for releasing the Desmosedici RR to the public in the first place was that MotoGP dropped the displacement and Ducati wanted to recoup some of the development cost for the 1000 cc motor, and the rest of the bike. Then MotoGP bumped the displacement back up again, negating repeating that business decision.

Again, I'd be interested in a source who KNOWS.

·
DucatiSpot Ambassador
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tend to agreed with you Fred. Also dont agree with tuned's ' consultancy to build these things' comment? Why on earth would they do that???? Also even if they did make a loss as a branding excercise (not that they need it) it would work. Look at Bugati...

LMAO "my guess is Honda will be focusing their energy on electric superbikes instead of MotoGP based V4's."

I suppose these are the bikes they said they can run on dog sh!te - Sound a bit Ruff but go like stink!

·
DucatiSpot Ambassador
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But they NEVER said this lol...

"my guess is Honda will be focusing their energy on electric superbikes instead of MotoGP based V4's."

Reactions: Moly

·
Registered
480 Posts
According to *************** yesterday, "the Japanese manufacturer has filed a trademark application in European Union for the name “RC213V-S“. The trademark was filed on Oct 31.

http://blog.***************/2014/10/31/manufacturers/honda/honda-trademarks-rc213v-s/

I'm hoping the V4 will indeed become a reality and be as stunning and a technological tour de force as the NR-750. I doubt Honda made money making the NRs but what a statement the bikes made about Honda in terms of what it could achieve.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
When you Google "Ducati lost money Desmosedici" you see the word RUMOR or PROBABLY included in the hits, which is why I asked for a solid reference.

Again, I'd be interested in a source who KNOWS.
I would like to read that article as well..

As far as this new Honda?
I think that it is coming, sooner or later.. But now is a good time to release such a bike.
Yamaha has committed to their new R-1..
Kawi has a new tricked out H2 to play with..
By the time anyone learns anything from seeing this new Honda? It will be old tech by then.. Perhaps some lessons learned from that "customer" bike as well? That could have been a test bed for this new Honda?

Now that we know HRC is upping the anti with their customer bike starting for '15, perhaps this new "street"bike will be similar to what Redding has been on this year?
Slow for GP, but just fine for the rest of us..

Reactions: slickhillsy

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Honda had been working on this project on and off for years. However, it's been shelved for now. They would have to hire and outside firm to manufacture these limited edition machines and it's simply not cost effective. Remember, Ducati lost money on every Desmosedici manufactured. Honda doesn't do that kind of thing, they want to make a profit and simply don't see a way of doing it.

So don't hold your breath, my guess is Honda will be focusing their energy on electric superbikes instead of MotoGP based V4's.
On the shelf Huh? I saw something that does not look electric, and looks like it is coming..

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
That isn't a production bike, its something Honda threw together quickly to show at the convention. They aren't even discussing spec's, pricing or release dates. They basically doctored up an RCV1000R and brought a few different colors to the show.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
That isn't a production bike, its something Honda threw together quickly to show at the convention. They aren't even discussing spec's, pricing or release dates. They basically doctored up an RCV1000R and brought a few different colors to the show.
So, you still think that it is on the shelf, not going to happen anytime soon..
And an electric bike will come first?

I still think that it is on its way..
Honda is teasing us..
Will be worth the wait..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Seven spokes on that rear wheel and if it's 17" I could swap it onto my Desmo and it will match nicely.

Seriously, Honda could produce a great bike, but one exotic machine is enough for me and my pockets are not without bottoms.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
What a load of nonsense.

The bike that frieghttrain posted is not a production bike, that's true. It is a static display model for the purposes of display and press photos.
ROFL!!!! So I'm wrong, then I'm right. Typical… :wtf:

How do you know this? Are you at Eicma?
Because unlike you, I know something about motorcycles.

It's not a production RCV1000R that's for sure though.
Do you even know what an RCV213V is? Just incase you didn't, I can help explain to you. It's a pneumatic valve activated, billet cased, seamless gearbox, prototype of which Honda will never manufacture into a street bike.

The RCV1000R is an entirely different bike, frame, swing arm, electronics, fueling system and most importantly engine. Since there are many naked pictures of the RCV1000R, it's clear comparing them to the new bike, there are far more similarities then differences.

They did not bring any more and not in a few colours.
Umm… there are pictures of a red/white one and a carbon fiber one. That's a quantity greater then one.

But maybe you didn't see that since you were so busy.

We call these sort of events "conventions" in the US of A. Some other's call them "trade shows" but either way, the definition is pretty much the same: a large meeting of people who come to a place for usually several days to talk about their shared work or other interests or to make decisions as a group

1 - 20 of 102 Posts