Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my charger and battery yesterday. I was going to try the charger and make sure the battery was at 100% before installing. Charger was DOA and had to be sent back. But upon inspecting this unit I was disappointed in the overall build quality of this unit. The pigtail and that attaches to the battery and has the weather boot on the other end has an exposed circuit board/ connector that I cant imagine will last long in the motorcycle environment. I say exposed because the half-A-- attempt at some weather proofing is like none at all. The wires and connectors are of the quality you would find inside your desktop computer ( Very thin wires and connectors) The whole setup has a very low quality look and feel to it.
So boxed it up and sent it back.
I did however hook my batter tender jr. up to it and it charged it in less that about 30min.
I understand you can use the Deltran charger because it does not have the anti-sulfate mode but can you leave the Battery Tender on it for extended periods of time? Also I understand that if the battery gets below 25% a tender will not bring it back only the Shorai charger...... is that right?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am not Shorai rep, but my educated guess based on making custom LiFePo4 batteries with balancers:

You can leave it on battery tender, battery tender (depending on model) is mostly trickle charger with overcharging protection. If you have alarm, you benefit from trickle charger. If not and you have no parasitic drain, you can leave shorai battery for years with no noticeable discharge (that's the benefit of lithium based batteries).

You might have a problem if you use "intelligent chargers" as they rely on lead acid batteries charging curves to charge properly(without going to tell complicated things, they measure certain properties of lead acid batteries and provide charging currents based on those. If they can't measure these they can refuse charging. For example deeply discharged lithium batteries cannot be charged with halfords inteligent chargers). Therefore standard chargers just work fine.
As far as I know, the shorai uses balancers on their cells and can protect themselves from overcharging. Might not be true to all models sold these days.
Desulfation modes are risky business. They provide high current in bursts or "overcharge" intentionally to shed sulphides from lead acid battery plates. Might not be a good idea on shorai.

My personal preference: you can't know for sure if any lithium batteries are using A123 systems lifepo4 cells. I bought 12cells and did a battery of my own (cost of 12x$6 + $11 for amp connectors). Works well, with extra ground cable bike starts on 1-2 revolution of starter in +3C morning (999 monoposto 2005)

I personally think shorai is a good brand. But there are others good on market too. Most of the problems with these batteries are not caused by failed units. More likely people using them with shot rectifiers, crappy draining alarms and funny wiring.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Battery Tender Jr .

Out of pure habit I always hook the bike up to my battery tender jr. after rides. So it's ok to do that with the Shorai ? As you know the 999 has the immobilizer
with the blinking LED, so there must be some
drain. (?)

Just installed my new Shorai, and it was a snap. Spins the bike over rapidly. Hope it lasts .

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you do a quick search on the internet you will realize everyone has stopped using Shorai and replaced theirs with the next generation of LiFePO4 batteries from brands such as EarthX and HaiJu (which makes scorpion, WPS, Deltran, and even the ducati approved Skyrich) under the belief that Shorais don't have BMS/balancers and the brands mentioned earlier do.

This is debatable but one thing I know is that the EarthX brand is backed by multiple aviation forums and the Haiju brands are backed by jetski forums. Use of batteries in either of these situations suggest that the brands I mentioned are that much more robust than shorais (which only seems to be talked about in the motorcycle community)

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
^^^Gee, bad news....... to all you folks replacing your Shorai batteries LFX18A1BS12, please send them to me. I have had Shorai for years. (never had an issue)...Please PM for address, I will pay for the USPS charges from the 48. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about the leads on the charger or the port it goes in to. It may seem like it's exposed to the elements but the location of the battery on the bike tends to keep it all in an area that sees very little moisture or elements. I've had my Shorai for 3 seasons now and I leave the charger lead in the battery and put the dust covered plug where I can easily get it. I check it on the occasion and it's never shown any signs of corrosion or problems and in the area I ride in (N.West Coast) all elements are present during riding season.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I agree with the two previous posts... I just finished my third season on the Shorai and have had absolutely no issues. I use my 848 as a track only bike now, so it normally gets 1- to 2- or 3-weeks of rest in between track days during riding season. The Shorai gets plugged in as soon as I pull the bike back in to the garage after each track day.

·
Registered
369 Posts
With good maintenance and proper care most things these day will last you an incredibly long time, especially considering the price you have to pay for Shorais. What you need is the added safety in the event of improper care whether intentional or not.

There is certainly at least one person in this world who has had a bad experience with every brand. However, if you're in the market for a new LiFePO4, I'd definitely consider getting what's best or better and also what's cheapest for the bike.

A back to back comparison under the same conditions may very well give HaiJu and EarthX that extra edge over its competitors currently due to their integrated BMS that is supposedly not found in Shorai. That is still up for debate as one Shorai rep told me they have started integrating BMS while another said otherwise.

Regardless, a brand such as Skyrich which is backed by Ducati will no doubt gives you that extra assurance and peace of mind that their batteries are potentially that much better

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
I have to join those who have had a great service from Shorai batteries. I have them in both my bikes, and have the dedicated Shorai charger. In spite of the criticisms of our resident 'expert'..

I do not leave the lead on either bike (one lead, two bikes). I can see how you would assess the lead as flimsy, and not really weather-proof. It doesn't appear to have been made to do that, although [email protected] has had no issues in weather-subject Canada. (And he does a lot of miles..).

I only charge the Shorai on my 1098 once a year, and it is now almost three years old. On the other bike I have never charged it.

Of course I am interested in the prospect of alternative brands which are cheaper, and claim to be better. But this is the first time I have even heard of these brands.

I guess as motorcyclists we prefer a brand that we know many have run successfully for years. And Shorai appear to stand behind their product.

As to the reference to BMS function? The Shorai charger is labelled as Battery Management System, with part number #SHO-BMS01. Is that what was referred to?

:confused:

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
On a side note - there was a news article here last night about an old graphite mine that was re-opening in South Australia.

Apparently it is once again economically viable due to the demand for graphite by the LiFePO4 battery industry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts