Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting used to my 916 but after a recent blast the temp stayed up around 100 while I was trickling through town and it started spluttering but seemed to clear up when it cooled down eventually but made for a few uncomfortable minutes riding! It this totally odd or typical? Cooling system seems clean and moving and air flow is clear. Ta

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Does anyone think my bike is running too hot or is the above normal and tolerable or is something not right?

·
Registered
197 Posts
My bike has a 916 engine with 996 top end and head work. It gets pretty hot in traffic. It sits at about 100 deg once the fan comes on. I think it's normal. It's been up to 110 deg but didn't really bother it too much. The 748 engine I used to have in it never got near 100 degrees.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
One thing that's often overlooked on Ducatis is that both oil and coolant radiator fin damage occurs from road debris. Without protection, the fins get bent over, air flow through the radiator is reduced, so coolant and oil temperatures rise over time. A first step is to carefully straighten the bent fins.

The Ducati cooling system is designed to keep the engine coolant temperature at 180°F when you're moving at speed on a 90°F day. Temperatures will rise as you slow down for traffic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Would the spluttering be the result of higher temp running? All fins etc are clean after a couple of hours of cleaning.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Running hot shouldn't cause spluttering. It does cause a noticeable loss of power, but that's usually due to ambient hot air being sucked in to the air box. If you have spluttering when your engine gets hot, it would depend on where in the rev range, what mods are done to the engine/exhaust/ECU/air filters. Also, does it happen when the tank is full of fuel as well as when it's low on fuel?

·
Registered
102 Posts
When my 998 was getting too hot it had a tendency to stall as I came off the throttle when stopping. I changed to Motocool coolant, swapped on the Speedymoto water pump cover and did a lower temp fan switch. Much better since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plenty of fuel and happened when opening-up from low speeds in traffic. Did seem to settle down on cooling but by that time I had reached home as I didn't fancy risking it! Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts