Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a setup like this? If so, would you mind showing/sharing how you did it? I've seen adapters for a battery tender to accept USB, but I've never seen anything that works for two devices. Now that I'll be going on longer rides, I'd love to have a dedicated GPS unit vs using my phone as the GPS.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just bought this I'm gonna be fitting it soon. I'm gonna mount it hidden below my top triple clamp somewhere and try it keep it as hidden as possible. It already has battery terminal ends on it so just bolt it right on like you would a battery tender. It has an inline fuse as well

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Mobile-Waterproof-Splashproof-Charger/dp/B00SIKVBBQ
I second that. Currently on my bike and use it to "maintain" battery strength. I quoted that because it doesn't throw enough power at my phone if I have max brightness and maps going. But if the phone is idle and you're not using it, it will charge just fine.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I use the stem nut from Motoreva. They actually machine there own steering nut to make the head of the nut thicker in order to tap threads for a RAM ball mount I'm all about things looking clean and as hidden as possible I hate seeing wires and don't like added things anywhere so this was the cleanest looking option for me. I'm not a fan of the mounts that clip around the forks.

http://motoreva.com/item.cfm?itemid=110&categoryid=172

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts

That's pretty much everything I used. I have it on the steering damper and it doesn't interfere with anything, full turning radius.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought this I'm gonna be fitting it soon. I'm gonna mount it hidden below my top triple clamp somewhere and try it keep it as hidden as possible. It already has battery terminal ends on it so just bolt it right on like you would a battery tender. It has an inline fuse as well

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Mobile-Waterproof-Splashproof-Charger/dp/B00SIKVBBQ
Let me know how it works out. I have a GPS unit I'd like to use but I wonder if it will draw too much power if used in conjunction with charging my cell phone.

I second that. Currently on my bike and use it to "maintain" battery strength. I quoted that because it doesn't throw enough power at my phone if I have max brightness and maps going. But if the phone is idle and you're not using it, it will charge just fine.
Good to know.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into this stuff. Looks like it shouldn't be too difficult but I'd like to keep the wires as hidden as possible. Will have to take a look at the bike on how I can best hide everything.

Anyone else with photos of their setups? Would love to see how everyone connects their hardware.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
UPDATE!!!

Pretty hidden looks good I ran the wire behind the headlight and into the headlight/fairing stay bracket and under the tank. Tested charging my GoPro and it charged it fully while I let a video record.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE!!!

Pretty hidden looks good I ran the wire behind the headlight and into the headlight/fairing stay bracket and under the tank. Tested charging my GoPro and it charged it fully while I let a video record.
So.... I noticed you have some goodies I want. CF dash cover and the healtech(?) gear indicator. How do you like it and how hard was it to wire up the gear indicator??

Don't tease me man lets see the whole bike!

Also, good to hear you had success running the adapter. Looks perfect I almost didn't even notice being distracted by the CF and the gear indicator haha.

We could really use a repository for all the modifications users are doing. The forum isn't super active but we need to start somewhere with all of the how-tos.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Lol healtech was 100% plug and play for the bike it plugs directly into the data port you would put the logging usb into. You need to go on their website and search your bike and it tells you of they make a plug and play one for your specific bike.

And thanks man lol I actually have a "progress" thread

http://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/67622-new-1098s-owner-here.html

Good amount of pictures for you? Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking for a clean setup.
According to the wiring diagram there's stock wiring for heated grips but it doesn't say where it is.

On the front left side, behind the frame under the tank I found this:

I'm thinking this could be the one for heated grips, and that should be more than enough to run GPS, intercoms and phonecharging. Don't know the name of the plug though.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
632 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts

Amazon.com: Motorcycle Mobile Waterproof Splashproof USB Power Supply Port Socket Charger: Automotive
I bought that same exact one a few weeks ago. It was working well until I went on an all day ride and it just quit working, charges for a few seconds and stops.

There's another seller that charges a bit more but may have better stock?

http://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-Power-Socket-Charger-Inches/dp/B00K6ZGU6C

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are any of these plug & play? The gear indicator or the charger?
The charger isn't quite plug and play. You'll need to install the battery tender leads here --

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458095835&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+tender+leads

Then the SAE to USB adapter --

http://www.amazon.com/BATTERY-TENDER-Plug-Adapter-Charger/dp/B00RRM694U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458095878&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+tender+USB

I read somewhere here on the forums that the battery is difficult to get to. Amazing that even on a naked bike like ours access to SOMETHING on this bike had to be hard to get to :mad:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Reactions: xSnakeDoctor

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've ordered these:

SAE to Ducati Power Lead
Plugs straight into the connector under the seat.

O-102 SAE USB Charger Lead
Plugs straight into the O-47 using SAE connector. Plenty of cable to run the USB to the front of the bike.
My only concern with connecting to the DDA port is, does it provide full 2.1A power to charge the iPhone or any newer phones? This is the only reason I'm going with the battery tender for now. Also, I have a charger so it serves dual purpose in my case.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
slot one of the fuse box (red and white wire) is only hot when the ignition is on my 848 works great...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.