Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my dream Ducati, a 2008 1098, yellow in color, it looks awesome !!

part of the deal I made with the dealership is that he would put new tires on it. Now, I am not going to the track, I am not dragging a knee, I am going to ride it a little fast and corner a little harder than I should, but I am old guy who is not into being a dare devil.

the dealership put on Conti-Motion M tires on her. I recently saw how cheap the tires are and I am more than a little concerned. Are these tires good enough for what I am planning on doing ??

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Hi there, and welcome aboard!

I too am older (61) and have worn out 23 sets of tyres on my 1098.

I still preferred the original Pirellis, and ran them for almost all the tyre changes. But they are no longer available, so we are all 'in the same boat' so far as working out what to run.

I have a later Diablo-type Corsa tyre on the front now, which feels fine, but is slightly bigger in section, and rounder in profile than the earlier Evo-type Corsas I prefer.

I have a Bridgestone S20R on the rear at the moment, courtesy of a flat I experienced in a country area with limited choice.

It has acceptable leaned-over grip, but a lot less grip in the upright position, and spins up at the slightest excuse. Particularly when setting off across white lines or when overtaking, and hitting the centre line with a bit of throttle on..

These engines produce an amazing amount of torque at modest revs (like more at 4,000 RPM than a Fireblade flat out..) and of course Ducatis are much lighter.

The Bridgestone also locks up very easily when applying the rear brake (which I tend to use quite a lot, even if it isn't considered 'cool' by the 'fast guys').

I ran a set of Conti Attacks at one stage, when the Pirellis were not available, but was not overly impressed. I am not familiar with the ones they fitted to your bike.

I recommend you wear them out a bit gingerly, as you familiarise yourself with your new machine. Then look closely at the stickiest Pirellis you can afford.

I only get 3,300 kms (about 2,000 miles) out of a set of grippy tyres. A Pirelli Rosso Corsa on the rear will almost double your mileage, but of course won't give you quite the same grip. I fitted one of these when I was interstate travelling, and it was good for this role.

But this bike is all about enjoyment, and nothing to do with economy. And not worth dropping while trying to save a few $$ on tyres.

So maximise your enjoyment and fit sticky tyres next time. I'm sure you'll notice a big difference from the ones you are now stuck with.

Something to look forward to.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.
You should be fine.
This tires has a bit harder compound and will give you mileage.
I have a friend with them on the GXR750 and have taken more than 8500 miles on a set and don't miss a beat hanging on corners.
Just a word of advice, since they are harder compound you need to warm them a bit before taking those chicanes.
Good luck and keep that rubber side down.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Should be fine for sport road use. Make sure the rear is at least a 180. Scrub them in good before putting much confidence in them and then creep up before a full commitment, especially if the bike is new to you. Do consider a few track days, its the safest way to get to know your bike and to understand your limits. Plus it builds self confidence, something every sports rider needs when faced with dire decisions.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
A good balance of input there.

I guess if you were asking "Can I take it back and demand they change to others?" I kinda doubt they would do that.

Just get to know your bike a bit gently on them (if the shop won't change them) and yes - warm them up before you get too enthusiastic, as per the torque conversation above.

These bikes can catch you out with torque at surprisingly low revs, and you want the best tyres you can afford. The best Pirellis 'work' virtually cold, hot and everywhere in between. You'll find yourself feeling like a better rider when you do get some on there!

Whether you just do a thousand or two on the Contis as a getting-to-know phase as you familiarise yourself with the bike - I didn't catch what your previous bike was, but the larger-engined versions of this series are very grunty.

But you may end up taking the Contis off before they are worn out, if they are a mileage-orientated model as suggested, as you'll get sick of looking at them.

Or you may be a goer, and skin these in no time. Then you'll put some top-shelf stickies on there and go even faster.

:D

As a PS - make sure you have the correct 190/55 on the rear. They steer best with these.

·
Registered
104 Posts
In time your dream Ducati will be giving you your dream ride.

At that point in time your are going to want the stickiest tires you can legally use. I confess changing two rears and one front every 3K miles can be expensive but I look at this way, your tires are directly proportional to how safely you can ride your bike in the twisties.

So the tires you have now can help you get acquainted with your 1098 but as soon as you begin to feel them lose grip it will time to trade up to some Pirelli Supercorsas v2.

Welcome and enjoy!

BTW - I am 55 and I have no intention of slowing down :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The Conti's are acceptable for the riding style you mentioned above.

Brake them in properly and make sure they are warm before any aggressive riding.

Spend some time learning the characteristics of the 1098 as well.. otherwise you should be fine.

Enjoy and be safe -)

·
Registered
120 Posts
good sound advice. i'm an older rider too, 62 and although i don't do track days my duc is my go to ride,(except on days like this!, snow and rain in northeast) enjoy!

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
68 years old (in March).... the Pirelli tires that came on my 2008 1098R were nice tires... I switched to Michelins on the first changed. Lots of nice tires out there these days for Ducati 848/1098s!!!
I think folks get use to certain tire breeds and stick with the decision... it is all good.....well, for the most part!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts