Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a 1098 getting a turbo treatment. I know it sounds crazy, I was just online and zxr had a turbo kit for it hmmm. I never road a turbo bike any one know what it is like. Good or bad or just I dunno lol.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've seen a few Turbo Monster's (older carb version), but never a Superbike. I assume anything new and EFI would require a new chip or calibration. I've never ridden a turbo bike or anything like that, but I would think it's a crazy little ride. I have on the other hand been on a R1 with nitrous, and that thing scared the living pants off of me! Kind of feels like you've just down shifted with a twist of the wrist, but without actually down shifting. Turbo busa's have also been around for quite a while. Some pushing outwards and over 250+ ponies!

Slapping a Turbo on a 1098 though would require heavy fairing modifications, or the removal of the fairings in total, as even the smallest turbo's are quite big. Then add the piping and if you're going to run a mini air to air intercooler (even a remote mount with an elec fan), you're going to be adding quite a bit of components to the 1098's already sleek and minimal chassis. Considering how tight the fitment of the fairings are on on a Duc superbike, there's simply no way a turbo would fit in there.

All in all, I just don't see it being a feasible or cosmetically esthetic mod to consider on a bike such as the 1098 or other 9XX Duc, but then again if you have the $$$ to play, I'm sure it could be done. Just not my cup of tea. Bike fast enough. Leave the turbo for the dragsters and import tuners.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have never ridden a turbo, nor would i want to after seeing this guys turbo r1, its pointless, he has no control, the front wheel is in the air at moderate throttle. He should try that bike on some twistys and see if he can stay on the road. the 1098 will be plenty fast for me, I think the 748 is fast as hell, its hard imagine what the 1098 will feel like.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggzsZNyeN04

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't like messing with a bikes looks, was just a thought. But sure is sometimes tempting turbo.....gosh I wish I had the cash for a busa and some FI toying around.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Turbo's are good!!!!

I have been turbo charging Triumphs for years now and it’s not about uncontrollable power for me!!!! A turbo bike with the size turbo and kit fitted is a very docile lazy bike that has massive amounts of torque from nothing. The more you load them the better they like it. The Speed Triple and the Daytona in the pictures both run 6psi on standard comp with over 100+ ft-lb of torque at 5500 rpm with around 160 RWBHP.

The carbon plenum chamber has a built in diffuser to help smooth out the sudden rush that instant boost can give, the end result of the RaceComp turbo kit is awesome pulling power with no nasty spikes. The Speedy has done plenty track days and has over 78’000K on the clock……. A very rideable bit of kit, the Daytona is also a turbo bike with no nasty holes in the fairing, it’s a complete sleeper.

I don’t think I’ll turbo my 1098 at the moment that would add extra weight and that’s not the idea for a nimble bike like the 1098!!!! I don’t want to lose that edge that the Ducati has!!!!

Plus without a re-programmable ECU like the Sagem MC1000 that Triumph uses I would not have the same tuning capacity.

I could make a kit that fits inside a faring easy; a turbo would be more forgiving than the normally aspirated set-up. With almost no cam overlap for a turbo motor the need for radical cam duration is diminished, the motor would be in a softer state of tune cam wise, that would give the head a real break in maintenance. A set of cams would be needed and a thicker head gasket would be the cheapest way out, I would change the ECU and retro fit a Sagem MC1000 (a poor mans Motec) with the aid of TuneBoy the ECU cam be made to work on any motor. A piggy back brain can manage boost fuelling easy and a Dyno Jet wide band commander will keep the air fuel ratio in check……

Attachments

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I wouldn't even want it. I mean I am worried about just going from a 600 to a 1100cc bike... My 600 had plenty of power to begin with but I guess for those people who just can't get enough...

Jason

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought about turboing my 600. 6psi would get me about 145whp and a good tq number also all for about 3,000 (about the price many are paying for a full exhaust for their 1098's) but turboing a liter+ bike is ment for the 1/4 mile or 400m depending on where your from. A duc is made for the twisties not a dragway.

·
Banned
161 Posts
flyboytb: That’s were you are getting wrong idea about turbo bikes!!!!
If you use the correct size turbo and kit it is very usable power.
I’m not in to big boost and massive turbo's that is for the strip!!!!
I just can’t see the point of extended swing arms on a sports bike on the road!!!!
RaceComp turbo kits make boost from very low rpm with no nasty kicks like a drag bike........
Think of it as a 2 litre Ducati, that’s what the torque is like awesome!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah I bet it would be insane in the TQ area it has just under 100 stock a hair dryer would bump that up 25-50% depending on setup and tune.
im sure fun to a very very experianced rider, but a death trap for me lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts