Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an interesting question on the RSV4 forum so I thought I would ask a similar question here with some additions. Responses from the Aprilia guys were interesting.
So, how long do you plan to keep your Duc?
Most of us owned multiple sportbike before. Will the 848 stay in the garage longer than others?
Why?
Cheers
Criz

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am a new Ducati owner, Just purchased a 2013 848 Corse SE two months ago. Extremely happy with it, I love riding it and always find myself online looking for aftermarket parts. LOL

I plan to do all my own maintenance as well, and buying all the necessary tools to make servicing the bike more convenient. I wont ever get rid of it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hard to tell, but my experience is that the more "rare" the breed the more dedicated owners.

That said, my 2011 848 EVO with 13k on the clock is my first owned bike. It is insanely expensive here because of the heavy taxation on vehicles (price+25%VAT * 180% TAX).
I've found a loop hole and got it for only $19.500 (a new is almost $40.000!) so it stays for a looong time

·
Registered
233 Posts
very interesting question

bought my monster 18 month ago , only a 696 , keep looking at 1100 but then ride the bike and still love it
however , seeing its the last of the air cooled monsters makes me want to hang onto it longer
thinking about getting a XJR 1300 for big miles and using the DUC for nice sunny Sunday rides

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought both of my 600s new. Thought I would keep them for a long time. They looked old and out of style after a couple of years. Quality wasn't like the Duc which I bought used from an Ducati fanatic in Seattle with only 2k miles. Sold both of the Japanese bikes after 5 years.
Won't ever sell my 848. It is too sexy and just a great ride. I might buy another bike some year but will never put my Ducati on the sell block.
On another note, I spend some time on that RSV4 forum and many owners complain about how poorly the company that owns Aprilia runs things. Parts are hard to get and some quality control issues. I don't hear those complaints on this site unless someone is a dedicated I-4 owner and never fell in love with the Duc like most of us do.

·
Registered
322 Posts
So this is a good discussion. I have 13 EVO in white with red frame and it's gorgeous,the trellis frame in red with red wheels is Just sexy. I'm also looking at doing some carbon work cause of inspiration from here the red frame and carbon bike. Anyway, my local dealer had a 2014 1199s for under 20k. I can't get it without the trade in but I can't let this one go. Even though I'll get everything I want with the new bike and need to buy a slipper, QS, and several other things I am still holding onto the 848.

So I think this 848 will be in the garage a very long time

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I keep going back and forth between selling mine and keeping it. I don't ride it as much I would like to; about 2500-3k per year. It's tough to have multiple hobbies. And lastly I have another couple years of payments + insurance and garage space. Would be nice not having to worry about the expenses for maintenance and aftermarket goodies.

Will I pull the plug and sell it? No, I'm emotionally attached to it and won't find the same bike again. 12 848 evo corse.

Typed it as I'm sitting on the bike

·
Registered
109 Posts
Simple for me. Zero chance of resale as the cost put in will never be even close to accounted for in selling. The evo corse is not selling for much currently. We have all seen the ones for less than 10k on here.. Love my bike and making it mine to keep now!

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I bought mine and had planned to ride it till it died. I've added bikes to the stable rather than sell the 848. With just over 100,000kms on it now, it's not worth anything to sell.....not that I would sell it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had mine for about a year now and I fall in love with it over and over again. I love the ride, the handling, the confidence I have taking corners, it's a well built middle weight machine in my opinion and nothing comes close to it plus it's sexy as all hell.

I've had a couple jap bikes 05 kawi 636, 07 cbr 600 and 09 aprilia tuano, none of these gals even comes close to the excitement of an 848. I'm still excited thinking about riding her everyday and can't imagine selling her unless I move up to 1199 but ubtil then 848 is for me.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have the '13 corse, and in my opinion it's one of the sexiest bikes I have seen. After my initial learning curve and transition to how a Ducati handles compared to other bikes, I really cant imagine not having a Ducati in my garage.

I'm 41 and every time I take her out I feel like a kid again...whether it's just around the corner to the gas station or several hours of twisty roads, I always come home with a smile on my face and the day seems just that much better.

Do I plan on selling her, no...but I do plan on adopting at least one more of her siblings so she doesn't get lonely in between rides (hopefully the XDiavel S is as fun to ride as it is beautiful to look at).

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
I'd like to will mine to my son.
You won't need to, most of my older Ducatis wind up with my kids, they just acquire them! Starts like, " hey Dad, I'm gonna "borrow" your 748 for a ride today"... the only time it comes back to my garage is to have some work done on it!...
.....hate to POP your bubble....

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
910 Posts
I have owned my Honda for 22 years, as long as my 848 stays as good a bike as it has been, it's not going anywhere, but I can see a new Hypermotard joining the family.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can see a Hyperstrada in my garage some time soon. That would extend the riding season for me for sure!

I have owned my Honda for 22 years, as long as my 848 stays as good a bike as it has been, it's not going anywhere, but I can see a new Hypermotard joining the family.

·
Registered
41 Posts
planning to keep my 848.
By picking up a multistrada 6 mths ago for commuting/touring/two up which it excels at it's cut down 848 usage dramatically, add great maintenance and should see it in good condition while I'm still capable of riding the thing.

love the '13 evo se, last of the 16 shape, unique and very stylish look and reliable .....so far

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have an 05 s2r 800 and an 08 hypermotard 1100, I cannot bring myself to part ways with either. They are both 2 very different and distinct creatures.

I am too emotionally attached to them. I have owned 6-7 jap bikes but it's not the same... I have come to the realization that whatever I buy , if I buy will put me in a 3 bike ownership position,... Which is not ideal or cool or affordable. So I try to avoid looking at other bikes because I know I can't part ways with my current 2.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Plus One

I was also on the fence of selling my bike just recently actually. Have a '13 Arctic White/red wheels (aka sexiest bike ever). Got a great offer but could not pull the trigger, had a change of heart(I am sure taking it out the other day had alot to do with it since I had not rode it for a while:)). Another reason being I have so much into it.... akra, carbon everywhere, crgs, etccc...

Like many others on here have had all the jap bikes, a 749S, went back to jap and now I am back with a duc..

Don't think I will pursue a bigger bike either, Im 160 lbs and the 848 has plenty of juice for me... (Had 2 R1's, torque is nice but all that power is overkill for the streets)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I rotate through bikes as time allows to dedicate to building a new one. Rebuilt a monster 696 and turned it over in 5 months. Restored a crashed 1000s2r and unloaded it in a year. My 848 Evo corse was problematic and flat out misshandled by the dealerships and DNA so it went back under lemon law. My current 696 build doesn't get ride much with my crazy work hours and the current crap weather so it will stick around until next summer and get sold off on it's 3rd year in my hands. So long as I can turn used bikes and break even, I don't plan on holding them since the build is half the fun. And after my 848 experience I will never buy a new Ducati ever again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.