Ducati.org forum banner

41 - 60 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
My bike is a standard 1098 with no mods. Mine was stalling badly in the first week at the lights while in gear or out of gear. I was really pissed off with the bike being my first Ducati. I was told to take it on a long ride as it was just the engine being 'tight' and running slightly lean. This I did not believe, but went on rides in the mountains anyway.

I have now done 3 weekend rides of over 300Kms. After the second weekend it has not stalled at all. I have just done many city rides with the engine temperature hovering between 95 and 105 degrees celcius. I have to say that I am now thorughly happy with my bike and have no problems. I know how some of you guys might feel and understand your frustration.

I am not saying this will fix all bikes, but it fixed mine. Take your bike out to the windy mountain roads, regularly run it to 6-7k and maybe yours will be cured like mine. I have just had the first service done too. Time to give it a good thrashing!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Some one posted on another forum that he rides it like a rental car and the only time he had any stalling is when he rode it like grandpa. My very unscientific research finds no correlation.

He does have a starter issue which is being fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I will need a starter soon i guess....he is working had !

I did most of my riding in back road with hill and rode it in the 6K and since the 1000K km in the 7 rpm ....as recomended, but :(((

How come evrey time we need some part it has to come from Italia and take 3 weeks ???? Do they know what a warehouse is for ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Grand Duc. Dealer should not have to charge you more for additional adjustments. They can easily perform any extra adjustments under warranty. Even at $300 that is still on the high side. Escpecially if the adjustment is related to the stalling that should be claimed under warranty not part of your maintenance. The stalling issue is not your problem it is Ducati's problem so why should you pay for it?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I know...they said that the extra time was bill to Ducati. Still I was billed for 2.20 hrs @ $79.95/h CDA plus $73.95 for 4 liter of oil(ipone full power), $18.95 oil filter, $4.40 oil cap gasket for a total of $98.78 parts only and a total of $319.39 Canadian dollar witch is $287.93 USD......and DNA said that cost around $144 USD plus tax !

The only revenge I have with my dealer...I get all my goody from the State...lot's cheaper !

Buy the way....they want $3800 plus taxes and installation for a set of full termi ! Funny, Ducati dealer in Florida offering me to pay my gas and an ocean front hotel for a week if I buy it from them at this price...lol.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
what a joke. go for the florida trip plus you get to see Mickey Mouse. lol... Is the your stalling getting better?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I did 300 km yesterday of back road, stalled 3-4 time and same today with a shorter ride.

My friends are having a lot of fun and they all told me before....I'm buying myself a bunch of problems, the parts are not even available in North America ...it's 3 weeks to get it. At least I can ride it , but maybe I should wait for the ECU to show ....if that's the cure !

·
Registered
62 Posts
I finally got to ride mine this weekend, put about 100 miles on it. The only stall was in my driveway while the bike was idling on the sidestand, it cut off after about 2 minutes. I did a fair bit of riding in traffic, stopping at lights, etc.. no issues so far.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just had my fourth stall this morning and this was my first while the bike was moving. Stalled while crawling through traffic in first and refused to start. Luckily I wasn't lane splitting otherwise I would have been stuck between cars with owners yelling abuse at me. Damn I thought that maybe it wouldn't stall since I've riden about 700km on it without stalling. My first three stalls occured within the first 800km which I just thought might have been related to the engine running in. Since then its been fine. Doesn't seem to be related to babying it either cause last night I took the 1098 for a good 2 hour ride through the hills and I was really pushing it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Have you changed brands of fuel or are you using a different octane? I have no idea if it would have any effect, but what if you used a lower or higher octane fuel.

Anyone?

CAG

·
Registered
50 Posts
Grand Duc said:
I did 300 km yesterday of back road, stalled 3-4 time and same today with a shorter ride.

My friends are having a lot of fun and they all told me before....I'm buying myself a bunch of problems, the parts are not even available in North America ...it's 3 weeks to get it. At least I can ride it , but maybe I should wait for the ECU to show ....if that's the cure !

They have them...I got a call Friday from Ducati and they shipped one overnight to my dealer in CT. Going to have it installed tomorrow. Your dealer should be working it for you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So I went for a ride on Friday and Saturday this past weekend. Friday's ride went well, 100 miles and only stalled once. Saturday was going well, did a quick 50 miles of backroad carving without any stalling. But when I finally came up on a light, it stalled. But not only that, it wouldn't restart. So my brand new Duc left me stranded for 3 hours while I waited for someone to come pick it up. I spent more time waiting than actually riding.

The dealer I bought it from said I was too far for them to come get me. Then they referred me to the Ducati roadside #. It took them 30 minutes to find tow companies, which lead nowhere. Finally, a dealership in Danbury, CT (Cliff's Cycle Revolution) came out an picked it up. It was actually the owner (Cliff) who took their delivery truck out to come get me. Talk about service - that's why I buy everything from them!!!

Anyway, the'll be looking at the bike tomorrow and can hopefully figure out a solution. Lucky for my I still have another bike to ride while this is out of commission.

Just thought I'd share my misery.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quick update. . . My base 1098 went in Sat for it's new ECU (overnighted from DNA). Stalled 4 times in the 5 mile trip to the dealer including once when it wouldn't restart and had to pull off the road again and turn the ignition off and on a few times before it would restart. . . this is what the Ducati tech told me to do as it supposedly "resets the system and will provide more power to the starter. Not sure if it works but it has restarted each time after a few off and ons.

Anyway, got a call just before closing on Sat night that the install was complete but the ECU was not allowing the adjustment to CO and the additional "tuning" that was supposed to be enabled by the new ECU. They had been on the phone with the regional DNA rep most of the day but were still unsuccessful.

Said they would have it solved on Tuesday (tomorrow) when they will have more time with the DNA resources.

We'll see. . .

·
Registered
458 Posts
Is any one on this planet had is bike fixed with this new ECU ?

Are we driving some kind of prototype and we are getting pay for that or I just spent $25K for that piece of S......!

Why my dealer said it will take 3 weeks to get mu ECU and some other guy's get it over night. WTF !

·
Registered
80 Posts
Grand Duc said:
Why my dealer said it will take 3 weeks to get mu ECU and some other guy's get it over night. WTF !
Had to contact DNA directly to get overnight action. Dealers don't sem to be able (or willing) to do it on their own. Went through dealer first and waited a good 2 to 3 weeks for the dealer to get the ECU. Then after almost getting rear-ended in a stall, I got fed up, parked the bike and wrote an email to DNA directly stating to get it fixed or I will lemon law it and would escalate to the US DOT if some proactive "fix" program was not put in place. Have had excellent response from DNA ever since and they have taken care of coordinating the fix with the dealer.

If they can't get it fixed, I'm done with it and will pursue lemon law. Not going to ride a bike that cuts out while moving in traffic.

·
Registered
458 Posts
cmh1098 can you give me DNA address, I'm realy concern about driving in city....I had a 10 fractures accident 6 months ago and I dont want to see my doctor again.

But been 6 months at home and after spending that kind of money....I'd like to ride and in a safe manner....and I had fews bad stall while running !

41 - 60 of 201 Posts