Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading another post where it was mentioned that bottom end failures start occurring on these bikes at 20 - 25k. Curious if this is true and how many miles you have on your bikes. I should hit 18k on my bike in the next couple of weeks.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I didn't really see it with my searches.

My bike has been dealer maintained and never raced (or track day). Mostly back road twisties with very little highway droning.

Mary

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
If it was a post from a fellow called "Tuned" or "Tye1138" he has a particular proclivity for making statements based on his own opinion which may be based in his experience but not always the norm. Not to say he doesn't have a point or experience, just that depending on his mood, he'll get a few peoples danders up.

There are several fellows who have well eclipsed 20-25K with no worries. These fellows also weren't gentle with their Ducati Superbikes. Maybe they have been lucky and maybe they did regular maintenance and addressed any issue that came up before it got out of hand. Hard to say. Others have had their Ducati fail after only a short time of ownership.

I tried to search as well and what I found was several threads where long term mileage is mentioned in it but not a specific. I put in "mileage on 1098" and searched specifically in 1098/1198 forum and found several threads where someone's asked about an issue and what mileage it happens at.

I can't speak for the 1x98 but I've far eclipsed 25K on my 848. Actually I'm closer to 60K.

My advice is ride it an enjoy it. if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. Nothing much you can do about it but keep riding.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You're accurate, I don't know how every single Ducati owner rides their bikes. But I also know there is a loose interpretation of the terms which define how one uses their machines.

What I call babying or being gentle, some people would call abuse and would never bring a vehicle to that level of "use" in their entire life. Most people simply don't have the skill, others simply refuse to ride like that in public and save it for the track. Those of us who actually do use their vehicles in similar ways to what I do, they wind up with similar problems that I've encountered. You can tell which ones are truly using the vehicle and which one's aren't because if the motors are still running past 25-30k, they absolutely have an alternative definition of "use" then I do. :D

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think this thread has been hijacked by a 12 year old narcissist...

It appears that Tuned, has "re-Tuned" the above post and deleted over half of the content. Old habits die hard.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
So, in an attempt to get back on track with the thread....

My 2010 1198S Corse has 3300 miles...I bought it used with 2100 a few months ago. The original tires had huge fuckin chicken strips! Good news for me! Lol. I'm betting this bike never once saw the Rev limiter and never had the front wheel in the air...

My 2011 848evo was a streetbike for 13k miles, still had stock pipes and original brake pads...another bike not used even close to its potential. Since I bought it this summer and transformed it to race only, it's performed flawlessly, but has led a much different life! We will see what happens to this motor....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
As mentioned above, some engines keep turning over time and others have issues -

Best way to avoid problems is staying current with service, maintenance, and manufacturer updates.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[email protected];777686 I can't speak for the 1x98 but I've far eclipsed 25K on my 848. Actually I'm closer to 60K. My advice is ride it an enjoy it. if it's going to happen said:
Wow! 60k. That's awesome.

Yeah, I intend to keep riding it as planned and just keep up on the maintenance but I was a bit surprised at the 20k reference. It's good to hear that this isn't necessarily a common thing. I sold my last bike at about 16.5k - a Honda so mileage was never really a concern since they are pretty bullet proof. Guess it shows how good the Ducati is as my husband and I have owned over 55 bikes and the Ducati's are the ones with the most miles on them. :)

Mary

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
If it was a post from a fellow called "Tuned" or "Tye1138" he has a particular proclivity for making statements based on his own opinion which may be based in his experience but not always the norm. Not to say he doesn't have a point or experience, just that depending on his mood, he'll get a few peoples danders up.

There are several fellows who have well eclipsed 20-25K with no worries. These fellows also weren't gentle with their Ducati Superbikes. Maybe they have been lucky and maybe they did regular maintenance and addressed any issue that came up before it got out of hand. Hard to say. Others have had their Ducati fail after only a short time of ownership.

I tried to search as well and what I found was several threads where long term mileage is mentioned in it but not a specific. I put in "mileage on 1098" and searched specifically in 1098/1198 forum and found several threads where someone's asked about an issue and what mileage it happens at.

I can't speak for the 1x98 but I've far eclipsed 25K on my 848. Actually I'm closer to 60K.

My advice is ride it an enjoy it. if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. Nothing much you can do about it but keep riding.
Werd.

·
Registered
289 Posts
37,000 of fairly hard riding in a variety of circumstances. Mostly spirited road riding with a few track days thrown in for fun. Have had several expensive issues with mine but they were due to the previous owner doing the work himself and not doing it right . . . once those issues where fixed/resolved, the bike has been running like a charm and I have no concerns to put many more miles on her.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Im at 19000 miles on my 848evo. i have also herd many times that the 1098 specifically has problems. I ride my bike very hard, every day. there is not a day it doesnt see over 10k rpm and at least 100mph. i also consider my bike babied in that it recieves oil changes every 5k, and is constantly checked cleaned and lubed. everyone who has worked on it has told me it is the cleanest bike they work on, and it is not a garage queen. it gets ridden hard, rain or shine, from 30 degrees up to 112 this last summer. I fully Believe its all about how well you take care of your toys, not how hard you play.

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
I went 23k miles and had a belt failure, haven't gotten to the bottom end but have no reason to think it failed.

The belts failing could be a few things but it did go at a track day.

The other thread is the same old same of the same user believing these bikes are not made to last. Keep your services up and you'll be fine, when the bike is tracked no matter what brand I think all bets are off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just purchased mine with a little under 18k miles on the ODO. Definitely know the bike was well maintained, a lot of time went into it. I think what everyone is saying if you take care of the bike don't worry about when it will happen, enjoy it because something may go wrong, you just don't know when.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
27500 on my 2008

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think it all boils down to how you take care of it. I put a little over 6k on my 08 1098s since I bought it in May of this year, it had 7.5k when I bought it. I ride my bike as a commuter to and from work on the weekdays and as a weekend warrior on the twisties on the weekend. I change my oil and clean my air filter every 3k miles, clean and lube the chain every 500 miles, check my tires, brake and oil before I ride and clean it as much as I clean every weekend.

Ofcourse there are some exceptions, there are other ducs or bikes out there that has their share of breakdowns or issues after issues but for the vast majority they hold up really really good even after the amount of abuse they go through.

·
Registered
438 Posts
1,430 miles on my 09 1198. I bought in mid Aug of this year with 727 on the odom. I will put some miles on her while in my hands. Well as many as a MN resident can.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts