Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First post here. I've been riding about a year now, I started on a Ninja 250. I love my Ninja but I want something with more power, and I've always thought Ducati makes the best looking bikes hands down. I've been doing some research and I'm seriously considering taking a look at a Monster. I really like the Diavel's as well but I feel like that is too much bike for someone coming off of a 250.

Can anyone give me some advice on this? Is a 250 to a 696 Monster a remotely safe transition if I'm someone that has restraint and is a pretty cautious rider?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
270 Posts
It works fine, but parts are expensive if it hits the ground. Grab a used 250 for a few months and figure out how to ride a bit before you find out what happens if you grab brakes in a corner.

take a quality riding course, buy quality gear, then buy a bike with what is left over.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Grab a used 250 for a few months and figure out how to ride a bit before you find out what happens if you grab brakes in a corner.

take a quality riding course, buy quality gear, then buy a bike with what is left over.
Ummmmm he's spent a year on a 250 and now wants to move up to the 696.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
In a nutshell...very! You're doing it the right way, unlike many others (myself included :eek:).

A 250 was a great place to start and a 696 will be a great second bike. It's not really that powerful of a bike but a noticeable step up. You'll love it. It'll give you plenty of thrill without scarring the shit out of you when you twist the throttle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, thanks for the responses guys. I'm leaning towards buying new this time as well, I've never owned a new vehicle in my life, always bought used. Think it will be time to treat myself this time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just evolution I suppose.

Just as a note on the 821 though, in Urban mode, its quite docile / would be very friendly for newer riders..

So much so that I don't personally ever see using that mode unless in significant traffic or poor road conditions (guess that's why they call it urban mode:))

I would take a serious look / test ride if its in your budget.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The 696 is a fun bike. It is easily customizable with components from other bikes from the monster line and beyond. Maintenance is quite manageable with limited mechanical experience. The used parts market has been extensive. The motor is quite durable. The transmission gearing is more user freindly at low speeds, including stop and start. and you don't have the significant tank expansion issues. My only complaint is that it is a PITA to get to the battery. Of all my bikes my 2 696's have been the most reliable.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I took the MSF course and a week later went and bought a 696 as my first bike. Rode it for almost 2 years and put over 15,000 miles on it without dropping it. Did not have one issue, recall, or warranty claim with it. Sold it at auction and bought the 848 EVO. Maintenance is also cheaper on the air cooled bikes. Great bike...Go for it!

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Get the 796 for the single-sided swing arm. You'll be fine if you spent a year on a 250.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I currently ride a Monster 1200 and a BMW S1000R. Don't ask how I wound up with these two bikes at the same time as I still don't have the answer. It just happened one day. That said the 696 is still here as well. No matter how hard I try I just can't bring myself to get rid of that fabulous little motorcycle. It's snarky as hell to get started but once it's fired up its a roadrunner for sure. I'm gonna slightly disagree with others as (in my opinion) it's a LOT more motorcycle than a 250. Doesn't mean you can't handle it but you should know when that thing is pushed its a whole lotta rosey and without a fair degree of respect you could get yourself in trouble in a hurry. Be smart and you'll love the bike!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.