Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got Rossi to autograph the gas tank and solo seat cowl of my 1198, as well as my wife's helmet this past weekend at the MotoGP race and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do to preserve it?

He used a regular black sharpie marker. I've had suggestions and I think so far the best one is maybe an air brushed clear coat, but would like to know if anyone has any tips on things others have done.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
70% ethanol, a rag and Casey Stoner to sign where Rossi's autograph used to be...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would have thought a clear coat of some descript would suffice.
Did he kneel down next to the pegs, say a prayer and then sign the bike?

d

·
Registered
305 Posts
You guys are tight !! Even superhero's have bad runs !! He will come around and maybe there is a problem with the bike ! That's great you had him sign it your a lucky guy .:nutkick:

·
Registered
85 Posts
So I got Rossi to autograph the gas tank and solo seat cowl of my 1198, as well as my wife's helmet this past weekend at the MotoGP race and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do to preserve it?

He used a regular black sharpie marker. I've had suggestions and I think so far the best one is maybe an air brushed clear coat, but would like to know if anyone has any tips on things others have done.
I had a tank clearcoated at an auto body and paint shop to cover some OEM decals I found for my 1979 CBX tank that turned out beautifully. I would not only clear coat Rossi's sign but I'd also find another tank and cowl and remove the signed pieces to keep them pristine.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think a lot of people (like myself) are going to hate on him right now, but he is still going down as one of the greatest road racers of all time, and I'm sure that nobody on here would turn him away from an autograph.

With that being said... I didn't really post this to see what people think about his riding abilities or future, I wanted suggestions on how to preserve his autograph.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I think a lot of people (like myself) are going to hate on him right now, but he is still going down as one of the greatest road racers of all time, and I'm sure that nobody on here would turn him away from an autograph.

With that being said... I didn't really post this to see what people think about his riding abilities or future, I wanted suggestions on how to preserve his autograph.

Don't take things too seriously!

Now on a serious note, if you do want to clear coat, be careful with the thinner base that is used. I have seen the ink dissolve and just turn into a big black ugly blur when the thinners touch it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had Rossi, Bostrom and Hayden autograph helmets at Laguna Seca and have been contemplating the same thing. For now, the three helmets are in display cases until I decide what will work.

Learning point...in the future use a paint pen instead of a marker. I handed them sharpie's and saw other people with paint pens....the paint pens looked much better!

I agree with removing the items and displaying them seperately...however, I have the Hayden autographed 848 and Bostrom autographed 998S-of course those signatures were done in a very different process.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
That's my 2nd favorite movie of all time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts