Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
just to clarify wiring dual bi-exons. I understand the bi-exon requires a feed to retract the cover for Hi beam.
So
If setting this up for dual Bi-exon Lows and dual Hi's ,
will the stock low wiring take two bi-exon sets (i guess spliced running two ballasts )....leaving the stock Hi wiring to operate the retracting covers of both sets.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If there was no relay already in the harness the wiring to the low beam side could be used to activate an aftermarket relay that would power the lights with a new directly connected section of heavy gauged wire with an inline fuse.
Im no sparky ( electrician ) but if anyone has an idea of the gauge of wire that would be required to feed two Bi-exon lights spliced together please chime in.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ok ive purchased a dedicated loom that has a digital relay and fused and dedicated to run two sets of hids switching via the stock wiring. Should be pretty much plug and play apart from shortening the length to suit my bike. Not sure where you have mounted your ballasts but ive had mine fitted to the stock lights and mounted on top of the air runners for going on 2 years without an issue. Completely hidden away.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well ive been messing around with some mini Bi-xenons today and remembered reading about someone using a drop saw to make brackets from the original housings. Que the hacksaw...

ive cut it down again into two halves and actually mounted one up and back into the headlight bucket. Ill get some more pics up when there both done. One question with the Bi-xenons.....is there a way to tell left and right

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well the sheety blood that runs through my veins got the better of me and i ditched the dodgy brackets. What the bloody hell was i thinking , picked up some #16 alloy flat bar and did the whole mark out process on the bench and here is the result. They line up with the cover perfectly with plenty of room for adjustment. I reckon its beeroclock.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well everything is back together and buttoned up. The mini projectors are such an improvement especially now the sun sets earlier this time of year. Twin headllights ...what can i say. Instant Hi-Beams at the flick of a switch.The Hids in the stock projectors dont even come close.The separate on/off switch/relay works perfectly switching the lights completely off for start up. Living in the hills east of Melbourne i can be riding in a complete fog out with very limited vision and i thought while i had everything apart i would add a hazard light switch. I know some ask why hazards but what ever they work for me. Flick a switch and all four indicators flash and both flash on the dash. No extra load for the flasher as they are leds anyway.

·
Registered
186 Posts
To do the refit i followed vfrmans' instruction. He has pictures of all you need including before and after shots. Excellent reference vfrman. Your thread was a great help.
I would also agree with Tchase that photos dont really do justice to the refit.
I will see if i can get a picture up for you. I dont have a before shot though ( you can just go by your current setup ) but there would be a picture somewhere on here if you do a search. The stocks were never meant for hids unlike the Mini Bi-xenons.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well this thread was initially put up here for the benefit of other Ducati riders as an alternative improvement on the stock lighting system. It was also posted as an alternative improvement on the Hid upgrade in the stock projectors. Im pretty sure 99% of the forum members could read and understand the huge difference after reading through the posts that included pictures of before and after shots. Obviously if you cannot see the difference in the before and after pictures there is not going to be any use posting more of the same. If you dont understand what a Bi-xenon mini projector is and the better throw of light it outputs then you may need to do some more research yourself and you might find that they are actually a better light. If its for you , thats your choice.
I personally think that vfrman has done an amazing job posting up the step by step guide for others to follow. If its not for you then that's fine however please show him some respect for what he has done and the others who have contributed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well here are a couple of quick shots as i rode in tonight. Just on dusk but not full darkness. The iphone tends to lighten the sky and make it look brighter than it actually is. First shots 8mtrs and then 16mtrs. Ignore the lean on the fence. Hope its helpful. It still looks better in real life. Ill try to get some shots up in the hills where its completely dark later in the week. Set 50mm below the actual centre of the light. It cuts off under most car side mirrors but throws a long way.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah Tchase no secret. We have moved here from a 20 acre farm. The house block was 2 acres. If i dont have to cut another blade of grass ill be a happy man. Synturf everything is my new motto.
Suppose i should throw this up. My attempt at switch mounting. Main light switch and hazards.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Drew it does take a bit of force. You just need to make sure you get all the lock tabs. I think there are some near the air intake also. I didnt use an oven just a heat gun. Slipping in a screwdriver or a spoon handle once you get it going.Do another section and slip in another. Get a utility knife ( something with a sharp blade and run it around the edges. It all helps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It does make a huge difference over the stock lights. I posted a couple of pics back on the 5th page but when on the road its a longer throw of light. More visibility to cars in the day as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.