Ducati.org forum banner
21 - 40 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great write up. I'm looking forward to part two. I'm definitely in for a set of brackets too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
just to clarify wiring dual bi-exons. I understand the bi-exon requires a feed to retract the cover for Hi beam.
So
If setting this up for dual Bi-exon Lows and dual Hi's ,
will the stock low wiring take two bi-exon sets (i guess spliced running two ballasts )....leaving the stock Hi wiring to operate the retracting covers of both sets.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
just to clarify wiring dual bi-exons. I understand the bi-exon requires a feed to retract the cover for Hi beam.
So
If setting this up for dual Bi-exon Lows and dual Hi's ,
will the stock low wiring take two bi-exon sets (i guess spliced running two ballasts )....leaving the stock Hi wiring to operate the retracting covers of both sets.
That is how I wired mine up, with no problems. Of course, I'm not taking responsibility if yours catches fire.:flamethro

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That's correct. In the automotive world, a popular practise involves purchasing an aftermarket HID relay that feeds power from the battery directly to the HID's, to reduce the burden on the stock headlight harness during the HID's initial warmup (which is known to eat up more current).

In the case of this bike and according to workshop manual wiring diagram, however, there is already a relay in place that allows the HID's to take power directly from the battery (Please correct me if I am wrong). Aftermarket "HID relays" are unnecessary. In fact, I placed a switch in front of that relay and allows me to control on/off for the headlights.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If there was no relay already in the harness the wiring to the low beam side could be used to activate an aftermarket relay that would power the lights with a new directly connected section of heavy gauged wire with an inline fuse.
Im no sparky ( electrician ) but if anyone has an idea of the gauge of wire that would be required to feed two Bi-exon lights spliced together please chime in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used a relay for my install. Figured it was safer as now two headlights will start up every time I start the bike. I used 14 gauge wire. It matched the thickness of the hid wiring.

If you are just splicing with no relay, I would say a minimum 14 gauge to handle the load.

I'll be putting the bike back together this weekend. Then I have to do some light adjustment and i'll post some pics up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ok ive purchased a dedicated loom that has a digital relay and fused and dedicated to run two sets of hids switching via the stock wiring. Should be pretty much plug and play apart from shortening the length to suit my bike. Not sure where you have mounted your ballasts but ive had mine fitted to the stock lights and mounted on top of the air runners for going on 2 years without an issue. Completely hidden away.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well ive been messing around with some mini Bi-xenons today and remembered reading about someone using a drop saw to make brackets from the original housings. Que the hacksaw...

ive cut it down again into two halves and actually mounted one up and back into the headlight bucket. Ill get some more pics up when there both done. One question with the Bi-xenons.....is there a way to tell left and right

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well the sheety blood that runs through my veins got the better of me and i ditched the dodgy brackets. What the bloody hell was i thinking , picked up some #16 alloy flat bar and did the whole mark out process on the bench and here is the result. They line up with the cover perfectly with plenty of room for adjustment. I reckon its beeroclock.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well everything is back together and buttoned up. The mini projectors are such an improvement especially now the sun sets earlier this time of year. Twin headllights ...what can i say. Instant Hi-Beams at the flick of a switch.The Hids in the stock projectors dont even come close.The separate on/off switch/relay works perfectly switching the lights completely off for start up. Living in the hills east of Melbourne i can be riding in a complete fog out with very limited vision and i thought while i had everything apart i would add a hazard light switch. I know some ask why hazards but what ever they work for me. Flick a switch and all four indicators flash and both flash on the dash. No extra load for the flasher as they are leds anyway.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well everything is back together and buttoned up. The mini projectors are such an improvement especially now the sun sets earlier this time of year. Twin headllights ...what can i say. Instant Hi-Beams at the flick of a switch.The Hids in the stock projectors dont even come close.The separate on/off switch/relay works perfectly switching the lights completely off for start up. Living in the hills east of Melbourne i can be riding in a complete fog out with very limited vision and i thought while i had everything apart i would add a hazard light switch. I know some ask why hazards but what ever they work for me. Flick a switch and all four indicators flash and both flash on the dash. No extra load for the flasher as they are leds anyway.
Any chance of seeing a comparo with HID in the stock projectors?

21 - 40 of 338 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.