Ducati.org forum banner
41 - 60 of 338 Posts

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
yeah, i remember. the thing is, i couldn't see a huge difference in those pictures.

this install looks a little a little different, so i'm interested in seeing the results vs. HID in stock projectors.
I don't need to see a side by side but I'm sure it's like this

Stock = Sucks
HID = better
Lens upgrade = OMFG

I only have the HID...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't need to see a side by side but I'm sure it's like this

Stock = Sucks
HID = better
Lens upgrade = OMFG

I only have the HID...
that's just the thing - I have no idea how much better the complete solution is. and given my HID kit cost me all of $39.95, it would need to be like switching on two suns for me to consider the extra time and money involved to be worthwhile.

which is exactly why i wanna see a comparo.

·
Registered
186 Posts
To do the refit i followed vfrmans' instruction. He has pictures of all you need including before and after shots. Excellent reference vfrman. Your thread was a great help.
I would also agree with Tchase that photos dont really do justice to the refit.
I will see if i can get a picture up for you. I dont have a before shot though ( you can just go by your current setup ) but there would be a picture somewhere on here if you do a search. The stocks were never meant for hids unlike the Mini Bi-xenons.

·
Registered
248 Posts
To do the refit i followed vfrmans' instruction. He has pictures of all you need including before and after shots. Excellent reference vfrman. Your thread was a great help.
I would also agree with Tchase that photos dont really do justice to the refit.
I will see if i can get a picture up for you. I dont have a before shot though ( you can just go by your current setup ) but there would be a picture somewhere on here if you do a search. The stocks were never meant for hids unlike the Mini Bi-xenons.
yeah, i've seen that thread - i couldn't really see a big diff in those pics.

and breasts were never meant for implants, but you don't see too many guys complaining about them.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The pics really don't do the retrofit justice. I had the stock headlights in Italy and I wouldn't ride at night because I couldn't see where I was going. I put the HID bulb in the stock projector and still couldn't see. After I retrofitted the bixenons, I could see very well and wasn't afraid of the dark anymore.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If one can fingure out how to get an LED bulb (type with controller like HID) to cool in the enclosed housing it would be much easier. YOu get damn near the same performance as HID but without the scatter from using in a halogen housing. I just switched from HID in halogen to LED In halogen in my car and the LED looks like a HID in the proper projector housing. Cost $90 and 20 mins of my time to true plug and play.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The pics really don't do the retrofit justice. I had the stock headlights in Italy and I wouldn't ride at night because I couldn't see where I was going. I put the HID bulb in the stock projector and still couldn't see. After I retrofitted the bixenons, I could see very well and wasn't afraid of the dark anymore.
without wanting to insult you, do you have poor eyesight? genuine question. i only ask as there is a "night & day" difference between halogen and HID in the same projectors/lenses, and if you couldn't notice the difference, I suspect you may have poor eyesight.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Stock projectors with halogens = shit.
Stock projectors with HID = blue tinted shit.
Bixenon projectors DESIGNED for HID = great beam pattern, sharp cutoff, increased light output.

You can put HID bulbs in the stock projectors that were designed for Halogen, but you are still pushing the light through a terrible lens that doesn't focus the light properly.

Yes, the HID bulb in the stock projectors was marginally better than the halogens, but on the roads I rode in Italy, with no lines and no lighting, it was dangerous and I couldn't see where I was going.

End of the day, either do the mod or don't. I couldn't care less either way.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Stock projectors with halogens = shit.
Stock projectors with HID = blue tinted shit.
Bixenon projectors DESIGNED for HID = great beam pattern, sharp cutoff, increased light output.

You can put HID bulbs in the stock projectors that were designed for Halogen, but you are still pushing the light through a terrible lens that doesn't focus the light properly.

Yes, the HID bulb in the stock projectors was marginally better than the halogens, but on the roads I rode in Italy, with no lines and no lighting, it was dangerous and I couldn't see where I was going.

End of the day, either do the mod or don't. I couldn't care less either way.
lol. you guys really drank that bixenon kool-aid, huh.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well this thread was initially put up here for the benefit of other Ducati riders as an alternative improvement on the stock lighting system. It was also posted as an alternative improvement on the Hid upgrade in the stock projectors. Im pretty sure 99% of the forum members could read and understand the huge difference after reading through the posts that included pictures of before and after shots. Obviously if you cannot see the difference in the before and after pictures there is not going to be any use posting more of the same. If you dont understand what a Bi-xenon mini projector is and the better throw of light it outputs then you may need to do some more research yourself and you might find that they are actually a better light. If its for you , thats your choice.
I personally think that vfrman has done an amazing job posting up the step by step guide for others to follow. If its not for you then that's fine however please show him some respect for what he has done and the others who have contributed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
halcy, you are absolutely right. It's hard to describe how much better the new projectors are with words from our own perspectives. There are probably more bias than truth in our statement because after all, we invested a significant amount of time and money to make it work.

What I do know, however, is that neither the stock bulb or HID in stock projectors produced any useable light. This seems to be a fact amongst many users if you do a quick search on the internet. Frankly speaking, I have never ridden another bike or driven another car with headlights worse than the ones on the Duc.

I will try to take a comparison shot for you guys later between stock and MiniH1 to solve this debate, hopefully by the end of next week.

·
Registered
248 Posts
There are probably more bias than truth in our statement because after all, we invested a significant amount of time and money to make it work.
finally, someone who cuts through the bullshit!

retrofitting is obviously the ideal solution. this isn't really up for debate. all i wanted to know was just how much better is it? i was genuinely interested. but you invariably end up with people claiming that its like riding in daylight, for the very reason you've outlined above.

the pic comparos i've seen between HID's in stock housing and the retrofit solution show some improvements to light distribution & cutoff, but I feel like there's a disconnect between the improvements i've seen in pictures, and the improvements as described by those who have done it. hence the request for more pictures.

41 - 60 of 338 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.