Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

848 corse owner here. Track only bike, in fact, it's my rain bike.

I love both sets of race bodywork I have, however, I am noticing a lot of 848s on the track recently running with no tail piece. I'd like to do the same - I'd much rather see the exposed sub frame, my TTX and the magnesium engine cover.

However, since I have my DTC sensor under the seat, is there a way to make it water proof? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'd just work on the connectors. find some heat shrink that's similar size to the connector, push it on and heat it up. That should cover it enough so water doesn't get in. The box itself is sealed, so that's not a problem. I'd run a tail though, the moment you crash, that box will go flying and probably rip itself away from the harness if it gets caught on something. The tail is there to protect all that from getting damaged in a crash. I'd rather have proper protection then be "cool" anyway.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'd just work on the connectors. find some heat shrink that's similar size to the connector, push it on and heat it up. That should cover it enough so water doesn't get in. The box itself is sealed, so that's not a problem. I'd run a tail though, the moment you crash, that box will go flying and probably rip itself away from the harness if it gets caught on something. The tail is there to protect all that from getting damaged in a crash. I'd rather have proper protection then be "cool" anyway.
Thanks for the tip about the connectors, a heat shrink would be a good idea. I'd have to find a big ass one to fit over the connectors, but I can do that.

Trust me, the 848 is my dedicated rain bike, so I'm not one of those Ducati squids who buys carbon fiber switch covers. My interest in removing the tail fairing is minimalism and mechanical elegance.

But good point on wiring getting caught. However, the 848 crashes very well and seldom do you see the under seat pipes getting dinged in a low/high side. Which leads me to think stuff tucked in well in the inside of the subframe should be well protected in most cases.

If you flip the bike over, sure, but in that case, you got bigger problems than wiring harnesses getting ripped off.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
What happens a lot is the bike runs off the side of the track on it's side and flips over. When that happens, things can get caught easily and the tail really does protect everything back there, you can ask how I know this. The exhaust is protected by the tail itself, but the DTC unit sits on top of the tail, so without a cover, it's completely exposed.

You're right though, if you just low side it's not a problem. Since it's a rain bike, it's good to have more protection then normal though.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What happens a lot is the bike runs off the side of the track on it's side and flips over. When that happens, things can get caught easily and the tail really does protect everything back there, you can ask how I know this. The exhaust is protected by the tail itself, but the DTC unit sits on top of the tail, so without a cover, it's completely exposed.

You're right though, if you just low side it's not a problem. Since it's a rain bike, it's good to have more protection then normal though.
Tuned, I hear ya. You have some very good thoughts, and it looks like it's coming from someone who has crashed and learned.

How about mounting the DTC unit inside one of these, and mounting this to the inside of the rear subframe? I can drill out a small hole for the connectors to come through.

My question is condensation. Is condensation inside the box likely, and will that affect the DTC unit?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I installed the racing subframe this weekend. I was surprisingly able to tuck in most of the wiring underneath the tank itself and away from the header pipes. Except the DTC unit and its wire, which I mounted on the subframe (the motoholders subframe is a high quality item and has a perfect mount for the DTC unit).

Question - Thoughts on running this 'naked'? As in, running no tail piece.

I know the termi pipes need to be protected and I can find some R&G exhaust sliders to go around them. I know the DTC unit probably needs to be water proofed in some way. But anything else that seems like a deal breaker?

To clarify, my interest in this is purely for how clean and simple it looks to me. The stock 848 tail is rather unnecessarily big and I prefer the mechanical elegance of an exposed subframe.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Wow. I track & street ride mine in the rain as well, wouldn't have thought of exposing the subframe.

+1 at shrink wrap over connectors. Wiring is fine assuming no breaks in the coating/tubing.

If you're doing it for weight reduction, seems like going after one of the DoubleDog monocoque tail/subframe assemblies along with a relocated exhaust (hate to say it...Double a Dog Alpha) is right up your alley.

·
Registered
125 Posts
""I'd much rather see the exposed sub frame, my TTX and the magnesium engine cover. ""

""so I'm not one of those Ducati squids who buys carbon fiber switch covers. .""
Although I admittedly have nothing of substance to offer regarding your question, I do find it amusing how you, so very connivingly, insult one group of people (those who like carbon on their bike) while advertising your own liking, which to You is not squidish...

small piece of advice...at some point in our lives, we MUST grow up to the point where we understand this one basic thing.."Our likes dont have to be better than others for them to be dear(er) to us.. it IS possible for different people to like different things and neither LIKES be worse or better than the other"

I see that with domestic Vs german Vs japanese crowd, be it bikes or cars.. be it football Vs soccer..Be it F1 vs Nascar
Putting others down doesnt elevate us, it only shines light on our own insecurities

P.S - I dont have any carbon OR magnesium on my bikes..

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I don't like the look at all but maybe if you painted the sub frame red to match the trellis frame or black to match seat and side panels it might look better. Just an idea, and everyone has their opinions...do what YOU want to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.