Ducati.org forum banner

How's this for props?

7K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  cronn 
#1 ·
Took the bike out on Saturday to meet this chick for lunch....

Rolling around town (and sitting on the patio at the resteraunt) I got about a half a dozen props on the bike, and thumbs up in traffic.... all from guys well over 40 years old. Now I'm not cracking any age jokes here :stickpoke but in 10 years of owning Japanese bikes can't remember getting one comment from anyone in the older age group. Ever.

:yo:

#2 ·
hornetball said:

Rolling around town (and sitting on the patio at the resteraunt) I got about a half a dozen props on the bike, and thumbs up in traffic.... all from guys well over 40 years old. Now I'm not cracking any age jokes here :stickpoke but in 10 years of owning Japanese bikes can't remember getting one comment from anyone in the older age group. Ever.

I hear ya there bro.

I had few younger guys stop me on mine but more respect from the older guys, not to say 40 is old by any means.

Now if only I can get the soccer mom's on board.

Hey Yo! :naughty:

Jason

#3 ·
Hard not to love

I get compliments all the time, from kids (<40
) all the way up to the walker crowd. Even the hospital CEO (who I think is stalking me, but that's a whole different subject
) has given me the "Nice bike" and thumbs up...

#5 ·
Must say, between the muscle car and the ducati, i think i've gotten more attention on the bike. I get props from everyone. A guy in a ferrari said "nice bike" while i was at a stop sign... Girls even say "ooh its a ducati"... Glad i'm an attention whore or i'd hate it.

#6 ·
Yeah

I get IT all the time. I get stopped at gas stations more than anything with people who want to chat about the Duc. All ages too. But mostly, I find people matching my speed on the highways to have a look. It's quite funny. You don't see many where I am.

cheers

#7 ·
And....????

hornetball said:

AND..... did you impress the pants off the lunch-time chicky????

#8 ·
Two weeks after I got mine, I was doing 65 in the #2 lane. I noticed a car with HID headlights closing on me very quickly, but in the fast lane. As it drew closer, I could see that it was red, and because it was so low and wide, I knew it had to be something out of the ordinary. It comes by me with at least 40mph extra, and as it blows by me, two things happen: 1) I notice that it is a Ferrari F430, and 2) the guy crushes his brakes and falls back in his lane about 15 feet behind me...

...and sat there for miles. Cars were building up behind him, the one directly behind him even honking, but he just sat there and paced me. When he had enough, he came by and both he and what I presumed to be his son (maybe 10-12 yrs old) were both looking and smiling as dad gave the 430 the stick and left me behind.

I found it amusing that the driver of a vehicle that costs that much money would show that level of interest in one that costs $20,000.

#10 ·
...and sat there for miles. Cars were building up behind him, the one directly behind him even honking, but he just sat there and paced me. When he had enough, he came by and both he and what I presumed to be his son (maybe 10-12 yrs old) were both looking and smiling as dad gave the 430 the stick and left me behind.

I found it amusing that the driver of a vehicle that costs that much money would show that level of interest in one that costs $20,000.

That's funny. I had a guy chase me down the first week I had the bike on a highway doing 140 KM. At first I thought I pissed him off and he was looking for trouble. He kept matching my speed so when I looked over, he was throwing his head back and going nuts inside. I saw him mouth "that's f--kin beautiful" and then give me a thumbs up. He almost hit a barrier as he exited the highway. People love my baby girl.

Now if I could only find a beautiful 20 something girl that can't contain herself, life would be great.

mm

#11 ·
monoog said:
Now if I could only find a beautiful 20 something girl that can't contain herself, life would be great.

mm
This is a sexist comment, but i feel the same way. When it comes to fine machinery, girls are dumb, well ignorant. The girls i've met could care less weather i have a duc or a honda or whatever. I could tell them it's the fastest thing in the world and goes 0-250mph in 10 seconds and they'd eat it up.

One time, we were hangin outside a resteraunt, and my 2 friends, having an 02 camaro z28 rag top, and another with an 03 m3 ragtop, got asked by 2 attractive girls "hey how much does a convertable like this cost?" - just goes to show you where their heads are at... up their asses. And at a later date, another attractive girl told me the kid in the m3 has a nice "mercedes"... all she knew was that it was expensive.

maybe i should paint a money sign on the side of my bike, then a 20 something will flip her $hit. But if i do meet a girl who knows whats up, i'm proposing to her right there....

#12 ·
I love it

I'm 50 and I LOVE it when a young kid rolls up on me when I'm in a gas station or something and says "Nice bike Man" and I pull off my helmet to talk to them and they look at me like "WOW" what is a grey haired dude like you doing riding a crazy fast bike like this? I always tell them "Hey, I'm 50...I'm not DEAD".

Riding this bike I've gotten more compliments in 1 year than I got in the past 34 on any other bike I've owned. I even go to the local Hooters on bike night and I'm the only non Harley there and there are always more guys looking at the 1098 than any other bike there. Gotta love it!

#13 ·
What never ceases to amaze me is how much attention the elderly generation give it? I mean, I come to expect it from the younger crowds, but I certainly didn't expect it from the much much older crowds. Makes it feel that much better..

#14 ·
hornetball said:

isnt' that a bitch? i had a chromed out 1000rr for 2 years in between my 748 and 998, nobody even turned around and say nice bike. it's bullshit. lol

#15 ·
Tomorrow night is the first weekly bike night, that one of the shops here is kicking off. They've been advertising the hell out of it on the radio. Can't wait to roll in with the baffles out of the Termi's. Now I just need to get my buddy to get is 996 out of the garage.

YOU READING THIS PUCKER?!?!

#16 ·
I gotta address a few things here;

Women who comment on the bike and know it's specs as well as I do - Italian women. Then they get all patriotic. Older gents, the compliments usually are followed by, I remember lots of them in the sixties and seventies, haven't seen a Ducati in ages. Seven years ago when I got my SS I was the ONLY Ducati in probably 200 km. The jap riders wouldn't even acknowledge me if I tried to make conversation anywhere but the Harley guys all loved it and gave a thumbs up. The young guys freak over the bike, I ask if they ride or intend to, I don't remember any of them saying yes - I think their generation is all about the Honda civics for go fast.

Best one was about two weeks after I got the 1098, a mid 40s guy in a nicer than average car pulls into the parking spot next to me, looks it over and says, congratulations, you've arrived and walks away.

#18 ·
smeelge said:
What never ceases to amaze me is how much attention the elderly generation give it? I mean, I come to expect it from the younger crowds, but I certainly didn't expect it from the much much older crowds. Makes it feel that much better..
I reckon it is because the 'older' generation know a bit of history of Ducati. A japper is a japper. There's just so so many of them out there, they're like bumholes, everyone has one. The older generation would know a Vincent, Arial square 4 and Velocette when they saw one too!
axntrance said:
i had a chromed out 1000rr for 2 years...nobody even turned around and say nice bike..
Nuff said.;)

#19 ·
Whenever I take my bike to school, I always draw a crowd... of girls :D They seem to love the bike and how loud it is. It's a rare occassion when I'm riding and I don't get a thumbs up. There are tons of your run of the mill japanese bikes, but no one seems to pay attention to them. We are an elite group!

#26 ·
you take your bike someplace (school) and leave it for an extended period of time UNsupervised? Isn't this a setup for someone to steal your bike?

The longest my bike will be left out of my sight is about 15 minutes, NEVER at school, movies, etc. That just long enough for some thug to see the bike, go home and get his truck/van and come back to take the bike home.

#20 ·
volcom said:
remember anyone can drive a car, envy has no socail classes, the guy in the ferrari wanted to be you
Which is why I was so amused. Here I am, a punk-ass 1098 rider, looking back at the driver of the finest spyder on the planet, nodding my head thinking, "that's right, buddy boy, she's all MINE!!!" and knowing very, very well that, even though I would take his car over my bike 1000 times out of 1000 if asked to choose, at that time that afternoon, that car was about as interesting to me as the dirt under my fingernails - it was all about the bike, and the pleasure of just being on it.

#21 ·
1099 said:
Which is why I was so amused. Here I am, a punk-ass 1098 rider, looking back at the driver of the finest spyder on the planet, nodding my head thinking, "that's right, buddy boy, she's all MINE!!!" and knowing very, very well that, even though I would take his car over my bike 1000 times out of 1000 if asked to choose, at that time that afternoon, that car was about as interesting to me as the dirt under my fingernails - it was all about the bike, and the pleasure of just being on it.
Very well said!!!!

#22 ·
NorCalDuc said:
Whenever I take my bike to school, I always draw a crowd... of girls :D They seem to love the bike and how loud it is. It's a rare occassion when I'm riding and I don't get a thumbs up. There are tons of your run of the mill japanese bikes, but no one seems to pay attention to them. We are an elite group!
I don't know - I got a lot of attention on the japanese bikes that I've ridden, I'm not sure the public can tell what's what. They see the stinkbug stance and the fat back tire, and the love is automatic. As long as you're not sporting nasty graphics, garish colors or dorky garb, you're pretty much a magnet - in my experience, at least.

#23 ·
From my experience when I lived there...

gillistheman said:
I know plenty of italian girls and all they do is speak with trashy boston accents and yell at their mom!? Where are these women?
I'd say the North end...?

#25 ·
I'll try and get some pictures of the chick up :)

One of the bigger surprises of that day, is one of the thumbs up I got was from a dumpy looking older gent in a minivan, that looked like he had just left sunday school. Thick coke bottle glasses, not the bike type. He actually stopped from making his right turn to honk, get my attention, and give me the thumbs up. I was like "whaaaaaa?"

#30 ·
I got a thumbs up on the freeway from a guy riding a lowered, stretched chrome swing arm, 200 series tire shod Jap bike.:rolleyes:

The only thing I get from the general public is "nice crotch rocket" or "what kind of crotch rocket is that".

I've found that women fall into two categories;
With the older women that are my age(40ish) just wrinkle their nose and state that Harley's are cool and look disappointed. (probably because the Harley seats are more comfortable on their old saggy asses.) With the younger twenty somethings they don't care that it's a Ducati, most have never heard of them, they just think it's cool because it looks fast.... and that's fine with me.:smoking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.