Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is very sluggish to start. It sounds like the battery is flat although it shows 14+ volts at diagnostics. One time when it cut out (yes mine does too) it wouldn't even kick over. Does any else have this problem? I'm going to see the dealer about this at my first service but I have 10 days wait until she goes in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Posted this on the 1098-forums.com....

It could be the starter motor? Reason I say this is read below

What happen to me was I picked my 1098 from dealer. Took it to work and when I tried starting it at work I noticed it was not cranking to well, It struggled, Took it home and stalled on the way, cranking became worse and could not start it at all, Had to clutch start it. Thought it was the battery so when I got it home I put on the charger, throughout the night tried to start it and it just got worse even with the boost charger. Left it overnight then in the morning it would not crank over at all, Just made a click. Had the shits so clutch started it and rode it to the dealer. Long story short they replaced the starter. They told me same thing happened to a 1098S..

edit:

Oh and since the starter was replaced starts fine. no struggle at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, so dont bite my head off.... I actually have never had to clutch start a bike. Through the years of riding my crazy japanese bikes have always started. I have a 1098 on order and just in case I need to do it...how do you clutch start a bike?

I am especailly curious how you managed to do it yourself..unless of course you had a hill near by.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You put the bike in first gear, pull in the clutch and either run with the bike, or have someone push you, then you release the clutch. This engages the gears, which in return turns the engine, which it turn starts the bike....

Oh and just be sure the key is on and so is the ignition switch....

Depending the bike, the CC's, and its weight - some are harder to "jump start" than others.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Use a high gear, 3rd or 4th, run like buggery, jump on seat and at same time drop clutch......... pull clutch in quick as it fires or its a sidesaddle ride into oblivion!!!!!!

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Madracer said:
Use a high gear, 3rd or 4th, run like buggery, jump on seat and at same time drop clutch......... pull clutch in quick as it fires or its a sidesaddle ride into oblivion!!!!!!

Enjoy!!

+1

This is the proper way to do it. Use a higher gear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stripped the spline on the 750's kick start once and had to do this everyday while I waited for parts, I was 25 then, I ain't 25 anymore so its park on hills or die I guess. I'll ring the shop today and see if I can get in earlier.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mind u I was on my own when this all happened, But I pushed it up a small hill ( fuken talk about a workout ) rolled it down and when I got enuff speed turn ignition on and click into 2nd gear and at the same time jump/force the bike down so the rear tyre grips... She cranked over quite easily.

Thing is I had to clutch her 4 times over those two days while the starter motor was fukereed :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems it's only after it cuts out and I'm trying to start it in gear that it wont turn over strongly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts