Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Hypermotard with about 3500 miles on it. Last riding season I was having problems with the clutch. At first it started just from 5th to 6th gear. When I pulled in the clutch and shifted up then gave it throttle it was like I was in a false neutral and the rpms would just rev up. That wouldn't happen every time only times. Also worth noting I would have to shift down into 5th again but it would grind the gear even with the clutch pulled in all the way. I couldnt get it out of that 6th gear sometimes without playing with it for awhile, trying to shift it into other gears or varying the rpms so it would click back into a gear. One time I couldnt get it back into gear until my bike fully stopped. That happened once and awhile for about a month then it started doing that in other gears. Just curious as to what you guys think. Master cylinder? Clutch? If it is master cylinder maybe having to much fluid would i have caused damage over time to the clutch from riding it?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Howdy, welcome to the forum! Leave all hope behind! :)

I guess the first question is… have you put aftermarket levers on the bike?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy, welcome to the forum! Leave all hope behind! :)

I guess the first question is… have you put aftermarket levers on the bike?
No I have not put aftermarket levers on it sorry that was something I failed to mention. The 600 mile service was done on it two years ago, one year before the problem, at about 200 miles. Ducati said it should be done then instead of at 600 miles because the bike was 2 years old. Im gonna try and bleed the master cylinder and refill it and change the oil to a better oil before it warms up in a few weeks. Local Duc dealer said it sounds like ill need a new clutch but want to make sure before I spend the money.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Ok good.. yea, the aftermarket levers are generally a probably associated with your symptoms because when released, they aren't going into the fully extended position and the clutch never re-engages fully.

It's hard to say exactly what it is because the symptoms say two things; bad plates and a hydraulic system that isn't letting the pressure plate retract all the way when you let go of the lever. This could be because the plates are so bad, the stack height is simply not tall enough to engage properly. But on a bike with such low-mileage, I'm gonna have to point at a hydraulic issue before anything else. I can't imagine you burned out the clutch in 3500 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I thats what i thought, or at least what I hope ha. Any suggestions on what I should do about it aside from what I already said my plan of action was going to be? Btw thanks a lot for your input really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
yea I would try that first. I had a similar problem before and it was due to a bad slave cylinder. bleeding it resolved the issue but it came back again. that's when I realized the slave was bad. new slave fixed the problem for good, but you do have to bleed these quite often just to make sure everything keeps working as intended. change the fluid while you are at it. also, when bleeding the system I start with the slave and finish with the master. always works good for me.

another thing to check if bleeding does not work is the clutch pack thickness. if the plates are worn enough it will cause similar issues.

good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it was a clutch engagement problem, wouldn't the symptoms present in all gears?

tm153 - If you are mechanically inclined and are willing - have a gander here for starters - http://www.ducati.org/forums/848/30792-sticky-gear-selector.html

and perhaps - http://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/55577-fork-selector-not-adjusting-properly-help.html
I reviewed those threads and I dont know if thats the problem. I cant replicate the shifts like they can where it sticks over and over. My problem happens maybe on average one shift per ride. Sometimes not at all but when it does happen it usually happens a few times that day. But its not reoccurring I cant go out and make it happen if I try. Its possible it could be off ever so slightly to make this happen once and awhile I guess but I dont feel like that would be the case. Something to look into I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts