Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bough 1098 about 2 months ago.It was really hard to start,sometimes didn't start at all.I did some research and I installed starter upgrade cables and Shorai 18A battery.
Yesterday I went for a ride and bike almost didn't start,I didn't use it for 5 days.Battery voltage was 12.8V, engine turned over 5 times and voltage drop to 10.2V, I twist the throttle a little and bike start up.I went for 100 miles ride,battery voltage was 14.2V.Today I checked battery voltage and it was 12.9V.
What is your voltage?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
You have an electron leak somewhere

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I velly impress. Battery start long time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I noticed my 1098 do the same thing. Apparently there is a system draining your batt even when the bike is off. I believe it is that red light that blinks; I think it is there to tell you the batt is charged, not positive about this maybe some of the super smart (ass) people might know the answer.

Good luck

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I feel like some of you guys are giving him crap for a minor spelling error (impress instead of impressed) in his title. You guys need to stop being so immature and help him on how to get to the flux capacitor in the battery to check for electrons leaking!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I do not consider myself "super smart" but I think the blinking red light is no more than a theft deterrent. It doesn't actually do anything more and I'm also pretty sure that after a given period of time it stops blinking in order to not drain the battery. Any other Mensa members care to chime in? :nerd:

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I do not consider myself "super smart" but I think the blinking red light is no more than a theft deterrent. It doesn't actually do anything more and I'm also pretty sure that after a given period of time it stops blinking in order to not drain the battery. Any other Mensa members care to chime in? :nerd:
You are absolutely correct!

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I feel like some of you guys are giving him crap for a minor spelling error (impress instead of impressed) in his title. You guys need to stop being so immature and help him on how to get to the flux capacitor in the battery to check for electrons leaking!
C'mon Rub, that leakage occurs only when the anti matter reactor comes on line... or is it the anti-gravity battery?.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I am not a Mensa member (although they were always asking my father to join). But yes - the blinking red light stops after about 8 x hours, and drains very little. And does very little, except discourage the ignorant thief.

It would appear that the OP has a charging issue. Aren't we into helping our fellow Ducatisti? I am not so impress..

As per a recent discussion on the topic of Shorais, I suggest the OP get a Shorai charger, and give the battery a night on it. Motowheels occasionally do deals on these.

Then you need to check your regulator/rectifier's output, with a voltmeter across the battery terminals with the engine running.

You also need to have a close look at the connector (three yellow wires) from the alternator, situated just behind the battery box.

If you have replaced the heavy cables you should have attended to all their terminals. A loose one of these (the solenoid is a common culprit) will cause this starting reluctance.

But your voltage readings sound like a problem on the charging side. That is, alternator, regulator, or wiring in between.

You probably need help from someone with specific Ducati electrical experience, who can go through the most likely areas for you. If it's not your area of expertise you could waste a lot of time.

But I have had no problems with my Shorais (two bikes). I love them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not giving the OP stick, but what he described seems normal.
Shorai battery is a bit different from acid battery in that they tend to perform better when heated up, while acid battery tend to be weaker when they heat up.
In cold climate, if Shorai battery has trouble starting, it is advisable to let the headlight on for a minute or so before trying to crank again. That's what I did in the winter and after that it would start with no problem.

Even just cranking twice would do in most cases.

Voltage dropping temporarily after cranking is normal.
14v when running is also normal.
12.9V is also normal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts