Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the brakes as crazy as some magz say. I mena, I don't mind I actually love my brakes to be a bit stopier I guess you can say. But are the too extreem or are the magz just being stupid and trying to find a fault in this bike.

~Edvin.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've found they take some getting used to! The first time I was in traffic, not totally focused and looked up to see cars slowing...I pulled the front brake my 'normal' amount and chirped the front tire, I let up and squeezed again and chirped it again! And I'm used to pretty darn good brakes on my other bikes plus I usually only use two fingers on the lever. They are awesome but like I said, you will adjust. I was riding my 916 yesterday through some local twisty park land, first time I'd ridden it in 2 or 3 weeks and I thought to myself..."damn, these brakes suck!"

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know what you mean about the stock 916 brakes. I am spoiled with the brakes on my 999r and even my 02 R1. Great front brakes should be standard
on any bike. I used to have a Harley Sportster and you want to talk about brakes that really suck. I would put Harley brakes at the top of the list from my experience. I would have to grab a whole hand full just to get the pile of crap to slow down. I got tired of throwing money at the thing and got rid of it.
I do have some new brake pads that I havn't tried yet, DP, on the 916, and I will have to wait to find out how they will be. The 999r though is the tits!! I love that nice buzzzz the front brakes make.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I have had brake fade on my 600RR before installing SB lines so I am hoping these brakes with SB lines stock, should be AWESOME!

Jason

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think its like anything else, you get used to it. The magazines havent had or arent used to having this type of stopping power. I bet if they did a long term review at the end of the review they would say how much they loved the brakes. Its kinda like if they bike had Moto GP power, they would complain that it was too powerful but after some time they would adjust and it would be managable.

When I got my '05 R1 I didnt like first gear at all, it was very tall and was much different than my CBR 954 or any of the other bikes I ever owned. Taking off from a stop I killed it so many times and I felt like a noob. Took me about 2 weeks and now I dont even notice it but I see new owners do and show concern about it.

I'm sure the first time I ride mine (April/May) I will be very cautious with the front brakes, but in time I will get used to it just like everything else.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've never owned a bike with brakes like this one. I also only use two fingers for braking and I have to say these are impressive. Be careful the first couple of times out and shouldn't loop it! just kidding... They are great brakes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Excellent brakes. I test rode the S model. They are a lot more stronger than what I used to on the '93 900SS, but I didn't get in trouble. I would not be too concern about them, you will get used to it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been riding my 1098S for over 1400kms now, mostly hills riding and have to say the brakes offer great feel, it just took about a couple of days to get used to the way they come on. Two finger braking is my preference, but you could easily get away with one.

Regarding your other post, if you have developed the mindset that the Ducati isn't really what you're looking for, why don't you ask your dealer for a test ride before the final decision. There'll be no shortage of takers if you cancel your order.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I'm sure the brakes will work great! I mean most people upgrade there lines on other bikes etc.. Who wouldn't want such a great setup as Ducati is offering here?

Jason

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Crikey - Don't be scared, be wary. Be scared when you get tossed over the bars and grind your nose off on the pavement!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Hello All,

I've recently read in Bike magazine and confirmed through my neighborhood dealership that in addition to the unique sound of I suppose any Duc, that the Brembo brakes also make that "racing hiss sound". Would any of you present owners care to elaborate on this? It this sound generated when the brakes are applied or not? Is it an annoying type of sound (can't possibly imagine) or just another unique sound that grows on you?

·
Registered
166 Posts
smeelge said:
Hello All,

I've recently read in Bike magazine and confirmed through my neighborhood dealership that in addition to the unique sound of I suppose any Duc, that the Brembo brakes also make that "racing hiss sound". Would any of you present owners care to elaborate on this? It this sound generated when the brakes are applied or not? Is it an annoying type of sound (can't possibly imagine) or just another unique sound that grows on you?
They didn't seem to at first, but now that they're broken in...they do.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
vikingdrvr said:
They didn't seem to at first, but now that they're broken in...they do.
How would you describe the sound? Do you like, dislike, neither?

·
Registered
166 Posts
smeelge said:
How would you describe the sound? Do you like, dislike, neither?
It's hard to describe really, kind of a grrr. It sounds cool to me :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I thought it sounded more like a "shhhhhh". It's not an annoying sound, just telling you they're working as they should.

·
Registered
166 Posts
DuanneB said:
I thought it sounded more like a "shhhhhh". It's not an annoying sound, just telling you they're working as they should.
you're right, a shhhhh is more like it but it has some grunt to it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts