Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 1998 916 with 39000 miles. The bike looks some what abused, and not taken care. The owner wants 4000.00 for the bike, but due to what I see, I am offering 1500.00 I did some checking on some of the little things to make the bike safe for me...

The bike basically has no service history, except for 1 valve adjustment at 6000 miles and a few oil changes.

Tires/Brakes/All Fluids Change/Hoses/Valve Check/Belts/Chain/Sprockets/Wheel Bearings...

Wrong Rear Sets are on the bike, and wrong shifter/rear brake control... (Look Chinese) I questioned the bike being wrecked, but owner says it dropped at 20mph... in the rain - low side? Said plastic's were replaced...

Is there anything I may have missed...

The owner things I am being somewhat low on my price, but his wife says sell it...

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated...
My Friends in NOLA, say get it cheap due to unknown on the Valves and Rocker Arms... (This could be costly)...

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
I have a saying take with me when looking at used bikes that could cost a lot to fix......if in doubt, just walk away.

I've bought enough basket cases over the years to know that the fun disappears with every unknown piece I ended up having to replace. If you know going in what it needs that's one thing but this guy may know what it needs but isn't going to say anything. it'll be up to you to find out.

At 39,000 miles, it could need a lot.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea, 39k miles? It needs more then whatever is wrong on the outside! :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.