Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Has anyone here spent time on the Monster 821? I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and am feeling cramped on my Monster 821. Around town and for my 9 mile commute, the bike is fine. It's the longer rides and HEAT that bothers me. Lower back, hips, knees, ankles (rear sets push heels out... poor design) ache after most rides longer than an hour. Also, after stopping for 30 seconds the heat that scorches your inner thighs before billowing up is rough, especially in this Houston summer.

It's a little frustrating knowing that I test rode the M796, M1100evo and Speed Triple before committing to the M821. I was set on the Monster idea the past 5 years and finally a bought one in March. The HS/HM wasn't even on my radar, unfortunately. Now 2000+ miles later I'm having second thoughts.

Also, this isn't a "one bike for every occasion" type of advice I'm seeking. It's for an outsider's perspective on the monster since I have a WR250F for hare scrambles/trail riding and planning on a ADV bike, (F800gs) in the next 6 months. I want the right tool for the job.

Overall, I'm a big believer in the 821 platform, I just feel I may be on the wrong bike. What say you guys? Any advice you can give me on keeping it, trading it? Any insight on the HS/HM that would detract from such move?

I'll probably take a bath trading it...

·
Registered
106 Posts
5'11" with 32/33" inseam so pretty close to your size. I understand what you are talking about in regards to the pegs. If you ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs you should find your heal on the rearsets attachment. Depending on how large your feet are your foot should be able to be fairly straight.

I placed antislip rubber tape, carefully cut to look good, on the rearset frames to help my heals stick when riding. I find it perfectly comfortable once the position is figured out.

PS: I note your exhaust set up looks different than the 2015's. What I speak of may not work for you. The heat can be annoying some time but it is not too bad if wearing long pants while riding in my opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pointers so far. Yesterday I went to the dealer that I bought the M821 from to see if I can get a test ride. They said they don't have any available models to demo, so sitting was basically my only option. I don't really understand their business practices... I'm an established customer and willing to give them more of my hard earned money, but anyways... They have a 14' Low Hyperstrada, 13' Hypermotard and a 14' Hypermotard SP. I can almost flat foot the Low HS, the HM was balls of my feet, while the HMSP was toes. I really need to get a test ride somewhere.

Would you guys agree with some of the sentiment I read around here that +75mph is rough? Cause it's not exactly smooth sailing on the M821 either and it's something that I've become used to. Up around the triple digits the turbulence can be so rough that vision becomes blurry.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I can't speak to the comfort part on the monster. But as far as heat goes, I don't know of a Ducati that doesn't have that issue. Any with the undertail exhaust, the 899/1199 series with the header under seat, and most of the monster styles with the high side exhaust will all bake your thighs from what I've heard. You could try wrapping or ceramic coating the exhausts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's always been my opinion that the Monster is a cool bike but, built really for smaller people.

I'm 6' 2" and when I sat on one it felt like I was folded up with my knees into my chest.

The Hyper and Multi size bike are the only Ducati's that "fit" me. A big reason why I bought a Hypermotard.

A really important factor, probably THE most important one, is that the bike "fits" you. That includes everything from the seating position, to the position of your feet and, how ergonomically "right" the feel of the whole bike is to you.

Iv'e sat on a lot of really cool bikes but, too many of them are made for people no taller than 5' 10" it seems to me.

If you are uncomfortable on the Monster, trade it in or sell it before you get too many miles on it is my advice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I got a quick test ride in today. My sales dude totally came through and got one put into their demo program. I rode it in touring mode, the same mode I ride in mostly in my M821. From the moment I pulled out of the parking lot I could tell there were some immediate differences that I like and dislike.

*The view! It's nice seeing over cars for once.
*Ergos! The entire reason why I'm here in this position. It felt so nice to have the balls of my feet on the pegs without having any movement or position impeded on by the rear sets. I Immediately liked the relaxed angles everywhere. I also showed up at the dealership on the way home from riding the trails on my WR. It felt like riding a very fast version of that.
*Turn-in. Wow.. Just think and it goes. You guys sure are right about that one.

Dislikes:
*The seat. It was hard and felt my sit bones touch with every bump. (DP seat swap, right?)
*Acceleration. It didn't feel as quick as my M821. I also have a Termi slip on with flash so that might be what makes the difference.
*Suspension. Took a standard HM for a ride. I could feel the exact same stiffness in suspension as my M821. Not to be dismissed, just thought I would feel more plushness or travel.

Next Step:
Research! I'll be doing a lot more of that. Looks like if it's feasible, I'll be making my way towards the HM SP. I'm also waiting on a "ball park" figure for the value of my M821 for trade. That will totally sway which way I go. It would be foolish to throw away too much cash in this transaction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.