Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 19 years old, and i love bikes im looking into my first bike my heart is set on the 1299 S, i learned on my pops 1982 kz 1000 (GREAT BIKE) i know its a superbike and not for beginners but im gonna be straight im not gonna learn on a cbr 250 cuse im not gonna buy a cbr 250, ever in my life!! I know its got 205 Hp and the handling is not for the faint of heart and i respect the fact that it can kill me in a split second if im not 100% focused and considering my riding environment (nyc) im a more of a conservative rider im not a showoff, in fact the real reason i want the bike is cuse it freatures cornering ABS wich for a new rider helps alot... i joined this group chat thingy for advice and useful tips, my heart is set on this bike i want this bike more than i want to go to college my dad thinks im nuts but when ur heart is set on something its very hard to settle for something else other than what u dream about.. any advice is welcome...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ive researched all the technical data and measurements considering my height etc, but theres 1 thing unfortunately i dont have and thats alot of riding experience so that y i tuen to the pros ( u guys) im a big boy so be straight with me. Im just an open minded kid who appreciates the genuine art of human engineering.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
oh boy...this sounds like a recipe for disaster.

word of advice about this and other similar cases you may have later on in life...think with your brain, not your heart. From my experience, whenever you set your heart on something, like you said, you tend to make bad/irrational decisions.

Sounds like you're pretty set on it, so no point in telling you all the reasons why this is a bad idea, but hopefully you'll learn from your mistakes like I (and I'm sure others here) have.

One positive thing I can say is that you'll probably be the coolest 19 year old at that college, and props to you for having the means to get a brand new Ducati at that age. When I was 19 I drove a 16 year old minivan that my parents let me drive my first couple of years in college. I was not the coolest 19 year old around, that's for sure :eek:

Reactions: mdomicolo

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol thanks for the advice bro appreciate it, alot even though my heart is set on it, there still is the curiousity factor, ive never ridden a bike that powerful who knows i may sit on it at the dealership and it might scare the living shit out of me lol and end up buying a scrambler, im considering both sides of the argument and if it means buying a beater bike to have a little extra cash for college i miggt do it but atleast i know im not making a rash decision and i can never say no one told so.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
A 1299 for a teenager in NYC? Get yourself a monster 620 for a season with sliders all around and then take a test ride on a 1299 in the city. You would hardly ever get out of first gear, unless drag racing between lights is your goal. Have you researched insurance costs?? Have you taken a MSF course?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes to the first question and not thoroughly on the second 1 I'm guessing roughly like 3k a year most likely more considering my age, etc, i am willing to settle for a beater bike, or like a 600cc im not an agressive rider but i wanna work my way up to a superbike naturally.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just figured if i can learn on this bike which by the way very few have said i can and i dont doubt their knowledge its just everyone learns at different levels, but considering that i live in nyc i know my limits on the bike, and i know my riding level, very few have said this bike is tameable, but im definetly gonna test ride it, and adjust it to my comfort level, and if i dont feel comftorable i have no problem not buying the bike my safety is #1 over everything.. and i dont live directly in Manhattan if i did i would never buy this bike. For sure

·
Registered
55 Posts
sounds like you are all set to buy the bike.

I think you're nuts it's far to big a bike to learn and these bikes really are not meant for the street especially NYC where it's stop and go traffic they tend to overheat and are just uncomfortable.

My advice is to start on something smaller like a 675R which has probably too much power for a learner but at least it's not a 1299.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I went 98 Thunder Cat R6, to an 08 GSXR, to my 848 with in 1.5 years and Im still not 100 confident in my skills and I ride daily from May to Sept over 30 miles day in all kinds of traffic. But if OP thinks he can make it work, go for it. $23k for a new bike, $400 a month on Insurance for said bike, NYC Traffic, NYC risk, 19 years old. Let him go for it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One thing that I didn't see anyone else mention - if you are in NYC you will HATE that bike. I have an 1199 - love everything about the bike, but not my favorite bike in traffic.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Yep, yep, yep.

I bought a brand new 1198 right after I graduated college, so not quite at 19, but relatively close. It was not my first bike, I had ridden a ZZR600 for about a year prior to that. I was really determined to get an 1198 because that was my dream bike at the time and just like you, I had my heart set on it. Looking back at it, it was a terrible decision. Had I known then what I know now, or had I gone on this forum before getting my bike and asking people for opinions, I wouldn't have bought it. Even after a year of riding a 600, and thinking I was ready to move up, I couldn't have been more wrong. Sure enough I dumped it after 2 days and did $7k worth of damage to it. A 1299 has like 30-40 hp more than an 1198 and is even lighter. And I live in a very open area in the midwest. Traffic is not a problem here 99% of the time. I couldn't imagine having to ride a bike in NYC...let alone a Ducati superbike. These bikes are TERRIBLE to ride in traffic. They overheat, your ass will be on fire, they're uncomfortable, and you won't even be able to use 20% of the bike's ability most of the time. These bikes are meant for the race track. They're race bikes with lights on them.

If you want a Ducati, get a Scrambler or a Monster 696 or 796. Those are much easier to handle and improve your skills on, cheaper, and much more suitable for city riding, plus they still have the awesome growling sound of the Ducati v-twin.

If I could go back in time, i would've used that $17k I paid for my 1198 to buy a Monster for the street and a cheap 600 to mess around with at the track, and I'm sure I would've been a better rider by now, had I done that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow... i really didnt look at it like that i has read they overheat even on cold days, and the seat is not comftorable, and u guys testamony r first hand reviews, i thank all who have taken thier time to help a kid (rookie) out... greatly appreciated

·
Registered
648 Posts
Get a Scrambler, walk around with more $ in your pocket, have fun, be more comfortable, then reward yourself with whatever the current, shiny new Ducati superbike is when you graduate. That way, (you'll be alive and) you'll enter the adult world with a diploma and a brand new bike instead of a 4 or 5 year old, obsolete, depreciated, has been. You'll also have something to look forward to and another big motivator to finish school.

Then, take an epic trip on it before you start your career.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Jeez Rub, are you only 25-26yrsold? I am impressed!!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
In my experience, it's easier to ride a small displacement, lower HP bike. That's is a reason they recommend the smaller bikes. From a racing perspective, it is a lot harder to go fast on a big bike - the learning curve is steeper. The most fun I had racing is when we had the DRZ 400 class. I could pin that throttle everywhere, and that bike wallowed through every turn all the while I had the biggest grin inside my helmet. I found racing the 1198 harder than my previous gixxer750. It was far more challenging and tiring after each race.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.