Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I went the other day to look at a 2012 848 EVO with 4500 miles. It comes with full termi exhaust, pazzo levers, fender eliminator. The bike is spotless but after it was running for a little i noticed some oil dropping. Peeking through the fairings I couldn't see exactly where it was coming from but it looked like possibly from the filter or oil cooler lines. Is this a common problem with these bikes? The sale is pending having a certified technician to look at it/repair it but in the mean time i wanted to see if there was anyone else who had this happen. I have had a GSXR, a CBR, and Daytona, and a Ninja. Definitely looking forward to stepping up to a Ducati now! Any info would be great!

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
Hey gang, I went the other day to look at a 2012 848 EVO with 4500 miles. It comes with full termi exhaust, pazzo levers, fender eliminator. The bike is spotless but after it was running for a little i noticed some oil dropping. Peeking through the fairings I couldn't see exactly where it was coming from but it looked like possibly from the filter or oil cooler lines. Is this a common problem with these bikes? The sale is pending having a certified technician to look at it/repair it but in the mean time i wanted to see if there was anyone else who had this happen. I have had a GSXR, a CBR, and Daytona, and a Ninja. Definitely looking forward to stepping up to a Ducati now! Any info would be great!
I don't know that I would call it common. I have heard of the oil filter leaking from coming loose, and I myself had a small leak from the cooling lines from backing off. If you can verify where it's coming from of those two it shouldn't be a problem.

Tons of info on this sight, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tchase, hopefully the tech can tighten something up and I can move forward with the purchase. Really looking forward to getting on this bike, the exhaust sounds amazing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome and nice move getting the tech to give it a good once over before moving forward. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed pretty easily, so you can hurry up and write that check and get those wheels in the pavement!!

Welcome to Team Ducati my friend!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Yea, oil drips happen, it's the nature of the beast and it's on any motorcycle. Sometimes they come from the breather hose on the airbox, sometimes they come from the oil filter and/or drain plug/oil screen, other times they come from the oil cooler assembly and lines. I also see drips coming from the horizontal valve cover gaskets on occasion. It's rare, but it does happen, especially on older bikes where the rubber has dried out.

The 848 is totally different then any Japanese bike, even the RC51. So be prepared for a different experience and we'll be prepared to answer your questions! :)

Good luck with the purchase!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much. Calling the dealer in central NJ tomorrow where the bike was purchased and services to schedule the appointment tomorrow. Need to start saving for the 7500 mile service I guess lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the leak was coming from a bad crimp seal on the oil filter. Easy fix and I was on my way. Put a few hundred miles on it between yesterday and today. The exhaust note is so totally different from any other bike I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Monster had less than 300 miles when I noticed oil dripping down the side of the oil filter. A quick Internet search led me to believe it is a fairly common problem that oil leaks from around the seal on the Ducati oil filters. I replaced it with the K&N model and never had a problem since.

It does make me nervous wondering if maybe the vibration of the engine causes the oil filter to loosen. Just to ease my mind I safety wired it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.