1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just joined.

Shouldnt the label for this section say; Australia/New Zealand

We maybe the little brother that wont go away but we do punch above our weight!

Today I dropped into my dealer to put a deposit on a standard 1098, but somehow the words 1098 S came out of my mouth! I looked at the wife and she said "excellent then we will have ohlins!" amazing.

April or may delivery, i understand we get our bikes through Australia so whats the gossip overthere for april/may delivery of S models?

I hope they are ok two-up, my wife loved our 916 so if the 1098 is as good as that I'll be pleased.

Oh boy two months without sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Jared

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Jared
What town are you in?
I'm in ChCh and waiting on my base to be shipped from Aus, should be on it's way now. :D Two (or three) more weeks :yo:

Two months without sleep ! Ya lucky bugger, I put down my deposit at the start of December. Haven't slept a wink since.

Umm yeah two up might not be that comfy.
I've had a bit of a bollocking about that. The Supersport isn't that bad two up. I might be going solo with the 1098.

See ya
Adam.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Adam,

at least 2 kiwis on this forum ha.

I live at Miranda, on the firth of Thames.

Has your dealer sold many?

Cheers
Jared

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ahh way up there.
Be some nice riding roads in your neck of the woods.

Casbolts have sold 2 of 2 in the first shipment, and at least 1 for the shipment in June/July. All bases.
As far as I know they are thinking of bringing in a S, but haven't had any orders for them yet.

Adam.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Welcome Kiwi's and thanks for giving the rider I sponsor your NZ Superbike Championship Title.

I asked Rob to see his majestic trophy ... we'll use it as a egg cup till he has to defend his title next year.

Cracker of a last race

Incidently you'll love the 1098S

Ed
1098S
749R
650SL
TT2
MV F4 750

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hes a very quick boy alright, I sat on the hill and watched him beat Stroud and that very rarely happens, That Charlton looks quick as well.

I raced against Stroud in the early ninties in the Britten days and he can ride a bike.

Good luck in the Aussie champs it looks very competitive.

Cant wait to get my 1098 cheers

Jared

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome Kiwi's,

I'm A Kiwi But Live In Aus Now..

Remember Seen The Britten Race Quite A Few Times At The Battle Of The Street Series.. That Was A Awesome Machine-he Was One Clever Dude!

I'm Getting A Tricolore Here In Aus...whats The Price In Nz For This Bike And The Other 1098's?

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$32000 including on-roads for 1098

$38000 " for 1098 S

Tri-Colour ? guess about $46000

Not many coming in to begin with anyway, although there dosent seem to be many pre-sales, I guess people are waiting to see it in person.

Whens yours due?

Jared

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bloodnut said:
$32000 including on-roads for 1098

$38000 " for 1098 S

Tri-Colour ? guess about $46000

Not many coming in to begin with anyway, although there dosent seem to be many pre-sales, I guess people are waiting to see it in person.

Whens yours due?

Jared

TC'S DUE NEXT MONTH SOMETIME...

BUT THIS IS DUCATI! :yo: I'VE WAITED BEFORE, SO I'LL WAIT AGAIN

DEANO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About John Britten, I've been thinking about how much influence he and his teams bike had on Ducati!

When he came out with his 1000cc v-twin It was ducati i believe who said "a v-twin of that size wont work as a racing engine(they were running 888's I think at the time), the pistons are to large to rev at race speeds" etc etc. John Britten then enlarged the bike to 1100cc and not only was it competative it absolutely smoked, faster than factory RC45's at the iom in top speed as an example.

Now zoom forward to the new 1098 with a much higher red line than my 916 or 750 F1 had and 1098cc!

Now have a look at the new 800cc v4 and see if you can see any resemblence to the Britten, can anyone post a side-on shot of the v4 withouy her clothes off!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After much thought I have changed my order back to a base model instead of an "S".

Each to there own, but i'm a little low on surplus cash at the mo so even though the ohlins would be lovely the Showa's on the base model are better than most bikes out there (and if you require better suspension on the street then you should be at the track). I dont intend to do track days as I have an HRC kitted RC30 for that.

It turns out there is a base model arriving next week I can have, so do you think I will sleep this weekend?

At least I can watch our rugby teams beating the odd aussie team while waiting ha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cool
You must have lucked out getting the base next week. Must be a cancelled deposit.

Yep the bases have definately landed in NZ. All going well mine should be in Wellington at the moment, waiting on the ferry.
Will be taking the Supersport into the shop tomorrow and leaving her there :bawling: , so should be able to get an update on the ETA then.

Went for a farewell strop around the hills yesterday, perfect day and a fitting send off.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Congrats bud and a 1098S is the way to go if you can get it! :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Two up is ok, have done a 350km round trip with passenger and she thouroughly enjoyed it, The full termi system just adds to the vibration factor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm picking her up this morning - feeling excited!

I'm 6ft 6 so I hope I fit, I managed to squeeze onto my F1 & 916 so should be ok.

Ill post a photo tonight - from my lounge - she sleeps inside tonight!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picking mine up tomorrow :D

Visited her last night and had a good poke around. Looks good, very good, fan-bloody-tastic infact.
Different to photos on the web. You don't get a feeling of the mechanical side of her from the "glamour shots" on the web.
The bike takes on a real presence in the flesh.

Yep, post a shot from the lounge. Then I can prove to the other half that I'm not crazy and other people DO park indoors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey all,

Just finished a 250k run over the the coromandel pennisula, a bit sore i must confess.

My thoughts so far;

Riding postion; better than the 916, more spread out with more room for your arse (a 6 foot 6 one at that), still plenty of weight on the wrists tho, although I dont mind as I think this is part of what gives ducati there great handling. The engine is much smoother and cruises more comfortably than a 916. No arm numming vibrations like I used to get on the 916. Brake and clutch lever need moving down a bit for me. To much throttle slop- easy fixed.

Handling; turn in neutral, with the 916 you had to line the corner up and rail it through, with the 1098 you can move around mid turn witn no dramas and changing direction is effortless. I had no shaking of the bars over some ruff roads. So far so good, but only touched perhaps 70% of the potential here.

Power; up to 6000 very nice, smooth and grippy power that bundles you out of corners without fuss. I will report back on the post 6000 zone later. Changes down superbly like a hot knife through butter!

Brakes; I'm using all 4 fingers and dont find them over-powering, they are the best I have ever used in both feel and power and certainly need to be learnt before pushing on.

Suspension; still to new but no issues so far, controlled some pretty bumpy terrain with ease today at a fair clip with a large rider on-board.

Dash; very cool and easy to read.

Wants; loud pipes

See photos;

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
deanosps996 said:
Welcome Kiwi's,

I'm A Kiwi But Live In Aus Now..

Remember Seen The Britten Race Quite A Few Times At The Battle Of The Street Series.. That Was A Awesome Machine-he Was One Clever Dude!

I'm Getting A Tricolore Here In Aus...whats The Price In Nz For This Bike And The Other 1098's?

Cheers

Deano
Deano,

i'm gonna be putting down my deposit in Perth next week, but haven't been able to choose between the 1098S or the Tricolore. Can i ask what the aussie price was for the Tri? (could be the deciding factor - lol).
Clinton

1 - 20 of 25 Posts