Ducati.org forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Banned
922 Posts
Hey hey darius,
Of course I am taking the piss. All Ducatis are artworks that Da Vinci would sell his grandmother for. (Except for the new 1200, the 1098 and the 1198 and especially that afterbirth 999).
I'm just kidding with ya, gotta remember the :stickpoke
thing.
Anyway something tells me you won't like the next Superbike at all.:(
Do you like the Desmo?

·
Banned
922 Posts
Yeah...... Mum says I missed my calling and should have been a politician or a lawyer..... :blah::blah::blah:

I miss my 996 Bullfrog............ sadly I could not afford to keep it and get the Tricolore....:bawling: Here's a pic for your voyeuristic gratification. :p

Somehow I ended up with 2 Tricolores but would happily swap one to get this specific bike back if it's as well cared for as when I owned it.
That's a Beautiful bike ELTWIN, why in the world would you sell that!? :confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm just kidding with ya, gotta remember the :stickpoke
thing.
Anyway something tells me you won't like the next Superbike at all.:(
Do you like the Desmo?
which one mate? the 696/1100 monster things or just desmos in general? If the former, they aren't too filthy, although the exhausts look terrible, whilst the latter, I guess it depends if its air or water cooled. I've always had a soft spot for the 900ss up to around 2002-3 when they radically changed the shape of the fairing. They were so ugly, only a mother could love them. I don't mind the monsters though - they can be to look hard core. I usually only ever buy unfaired bikes - the 996 is probably my first faired bike. Sorry for the long-winded reply - I'll just go back to my pond...:blah::blah::blah:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I love having a Ducati, it's like being a member of a club i know pretty much every Ducati owner around town. At work whenever i park my bike i always find another Ducati parked next to it at the end of the day. Like today i was parked to have a smoke and watch the MSF class and next thing i know another guy in a Ducati that was riding by turned around to come talk to me and share the history of how he got his bike.
I LOVE DUCATI....

·
Banned
922 Posts
which one mate? the 696/1100 monster things or just desmos in general? If the former, they aren't too filthy, although the exhausts look terrible, whilst the latter, I guess it depends if its air or water cooled. I've always had a soft spot for the 900ss up to around 2002-3 when they radically changed the shape of the fairing. They were so ugly, only a mother could love them. I don't mind the monsters though - they can be to look hard core. I usually only ever buy unfaired bikes - the 996 is probably my first faired bike. Sorry for the long-winded reply - I'll just go back to my pond...:blah::blah::blah:
Oh, I meant the Desmosedici.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are they as reliable as the jappers? No
Are they as fast? No
Do they have glitches? Goddamn Italian electrics I say.

But to ride them it all falls into place. The chassis is soo stable and after a short time we understand why they are made the way they are. Such as why is the rear brake so weak. Then it hits you. It's only for trail braking.

They are a hard edge riding machine as opposed to a well refined do it all product. I won't give it up.
Brilliantly stated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Twisted---I will be a Ducati owner shortly (hopefully by Friday) and all I have been hearing is what you stated. WTH? "Just buy a jap bike and add all the mods you want and it will still be cheaper than a Ducati."

But I WANT a Ducati!!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I agree with these guys. Well, all of you really. We all knew what we were getting in to when we bought our bikes. I like to think that people who just talk crap about Ducatis are just jealous. Jealous they can't afford one, jealous they can't afford the maintenance, jealous they don't have the bike everyone drools over when they are out. Some of us just like the finer things in life and actually have the gusto to actually go get them!
Kami.. said it best ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are ignoring Blitz's three rules of human nature:

1) Many people believe that what they have is the best because, well THEY bought it.
2) Most people that have strong negative opinions about something generally have no first hand knowledge or experience to base those facts on. "Subject experts" are a dime a dozen.
3) The people who preach the loudest against homosexuality usually have some pretty strong unanswered questions about their own sexuality.

What does number three have to do with motorcycles?

Nothing. It's a metaphor.

I'd bet not one of these guys that are "advising" you has ever owned a Duc. Yet, they feel that in some strange way they have some expertise because "they used to know a guy that owned one" or "they read it on the internet". B.S.

I've owned a LOT of bikes and cars. Each and every one of them has a wart of some kind. That wart might be a particular issue common to the model or that they are expensive to maintain or that parts are difficult to find or that they depreciate like a Yugoslavian laptop.

You don't buy a Porsche because it is cheap to maintain. If that is your goal you buy a Toyota Corolla.

Do this:

Blow off whatever crap you are hearing from outside "experts" and buy the bike that stirs your soul. The one that makes your palms sweat just thinking about it. If you do that and go into it knowing that exotic machinery by nature is more expensive to maintain then it's less exotic mass produced counterparts you will never regret the decision.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
That's a Beautiful bike ELTWIN, why in the world would you sell that!? :confused:
I could eat off that bike ELTWIN. It looks better than new. No wonder you were crying tears of blood.
I was bedazzled by the 1098s I test rode........... :eek: When I saw the 1098 Tricolore I wanted it so badly but couldn't afford to purchase it outright, so I traded the 996. :(
I honestly do not regret doing so but (as you guys so kindly noted) that 996 was a stand out from the rest after I had finished it. Thanks. :p

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
VERY clean, tasteful 996 EL. They are a classic and good-looking series. But having had both in the workshop together (and riding them back-to-back) I have to agree with Soz's point - they can now look and feel dated by comparison.
When I first got my 1098 it did look a bit 'pseudo-moderno' to my eye - almost self-consciously futuristic. But I bought it for the ride, not the look. Of course, three years later I love its look. Our eye takes time to accustomise, and many thousands of glorious miles weave their magic.
Some insightful contributions on this thread. I'm enjoying it!
Thank you ladies and gentlemen.
:)

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
glad to see this thread is still going. great bunch of people on this forum.

ive had my 1098 for a month now and i will never go back to a jap bike unless its a track bike.

this bike is pure fucking awesome. anyone who wants to keep talking smack to me about it can lick my sack.

its funny, all my buddies that told me i was nuts, come to my house and nearly jizz when they walk into my garage... and, now one of my buds is looking to buy a 1098..

i told them all, ride it, flog the shit out of it, then you'll realize what im talking about... :yo:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought my 1098 S this summer. After 3 years and 32000km on a R1, I wanted something else than a jap IL4.

Have always loved the look of the 1098 since the first time I saw one back in 2007, so this summer I decided to go for it.

I don`t care what my GSXR/ZX10R/R1 buddies think of the Duc.

I LOVE IT!

I love the power delivery, the sound, the handling, the brand and the looks..

The bike makes me happy even when I'm not riding it..

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
The bike makes me happy even when I'm not riding it..
Well said. This is what Ducati ownership is all about. It gives just as much pleasure to see it in the garage (albeit in a different way) as it does to ride it. :p

And thanks Pat for your compliment on the 996....... :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sure, but that's car vs bike. The analogy is all relative; I don't see many Forbes/Hollywood A-listers riding Gixxers....if you get my drift...

jdw
Christian Bale rides an older cbr 600, or at least he used to.

Keanu Reeves had a Kawasaki ZX10R

Bradley Cooper had a KTM RC8

None of those are super special bikes. I’ve got a ducati 1098 that I absolutely love, but you know what I’m dying to buy? A K7 GSXR 750. I don’t think one is better than the other either, it’s a different itch I want to scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 102 Posts