Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm new here. I'm going to be buying my first Ducati next week. I'm looking at a 2008 1098S and a 2011 848evo. The evo has been to track days and looks great. The 1098S is a weekend rider and has never been to the track. I'm looking for a bike to take to the crest (I live n Los Angeles) and for track days with the occasional rides to the coast, rock store etc. What would be your choice. I could go either way with this. Any help, advice or a good yelling at would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently purchased my first Ducati as well and was in your same position. For me, it came down to useability. As much as the 1098S is an awesome bike, for me it was too much bike. I ended up picking up a 2012 848 Evo from Ducati Newport Beach. For my purposes, street and occasional track the 848 was the better fit because I felt I could get the most from it. Another consideration for me was that I've only ridden a 400cc V4 and 250cc 2 stroke my entire motorcycling life so I felt the 1098 would be too much of a leap. I've had the bike now for 2 weeks and its a beast. I only way 145lbs so I cannot imagine how I would manage all that extra power of the 1098. The 848 has 15K miles on it and the dealership just completed the major service so that ended up saving me about $1K.

Are these bikes from private sellers or a dealer? Just curious.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I read about your purchase on the 848 page. I weigh a bit more than you. I'm in the 220, 230 range. I've ridden Harley's and had an R6. Both bikes are from private sellers. One is in Fresno (the 848) so i'd have to ride it back. It's also $2k cheaper.. The 1098S is in Eagle Rock. I talked him down $1500. The 1098S has a lot of aftermarket parts, dry clutch and a Termi exhaust. The 848 has an Acropovic exhaust and soe aftermarket parts

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is a tough decision. I personally would not like a bike that has seen a lot of track days but I also prefer bikes to be as close to stock as possible. Does the owner of the 1098S have the stock parts? Whats the mileage of each? Are service records available?

Assuming the 1098S is not too much bike, I would lean towards that one. It sounds to be perhaps less thrashed than the 848.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1098S has all the service records, owners manual and some stock parts. It's been services at the Ducati dealer in my town. The 848 I don't think has all the service records. The 1098S has 12k miles and the 848 has 15k

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 1098S has all the service records, owners manual and some stock parts. It's been services at the Ducati dealer in my town. The 848 I don't think has all the service records. The 1098S has 12k miles and the 848 has 15k
The 848 will need its major done which will cost $1K so thats something to consider. I would go for the 1098. It just feels like it was better maintained and cared for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I was thinking about that. I think I'm going to go with the 1098. Thanks for the advice. Do you ever ride to the rock store or Angeles Crest?

·
Court Jester
11,606 Posts
1098s 2008 I would think that year had the “bugs” worked out and sounds like this one has been well taken care of.

The 848 being tracked I would be concerned with the engine, banging the rev limiter tends to speed up the lower bearings going.

If they are the only options, I go with the 1098, but I have to believe there are more 848s out there.

The major difference between these two is of course the HP, but another big one often not discussed is dry clutch and wet clutch.

Of course I’m bias have two 848s :)

GL!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I was concerned about how hard he was on it at the track days. I do like the sound of the dry clutch. I had on on my custom bobber and it just sounds bitchen. I also agree, I always buy the last model year of cars too. They do have all the bugs worked out and all the improvements done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah I was thinking about that. I think I'm going to go with the 1098. Thanks for the advice. Do you ever ride to the rock store or Angeles Crest?
Yeah I do but its a long haul from San Clemente where I live so I only get up there a few times a year. When I do get up to Angeles Crest I admit I ride super slow. I've seen too many videos of people crashing and I dont want to be one of them!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh damn, you live down by my parents. That is a ride. There's quite a few idiots that ride up there, I don't think i'd get all crazy either. The scenery is great though

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh damn, you live down by my parents. That is a ride. There's quite a few idiots that ride up there, I don't think i'd get all crazy either. The scenery is great though
Hit me up if you are down in the area. Would love to ogle our new bike, talk shop, and ride of course.

·
Registered
869 Posts
it doesn't sound like you have a lot of track or even sportbike experience, if you're wanting to do track days and are set on doing it with a Ducati get an 848. The 1098 has a ton of torque and would probably get you in trouble learning to track. A 848has a lot of torque too for new track rider. Really if your short on experience but fair on cash buy a nice Ducati for street, and something like a Suzuki SV650 to start your track day career. If you like it and progress you'll be able to sell the small bike and get a faster bike latter. You can usually find a good track SV for $2500 or a little less. If you don't like track riding you can sell and probably not lose any cash.

·
Court Jester
11,606 Posts
it doesn't sound like you have a lot of track or even sportbike experience, if you're wanting to do track days and are set on doing it with a Ducati get an 848. The 1098 has a ton of torque and would probably get you in trouble learning to track. A 848has a lot of torque too for new track rider. Really if your short on experience but fair on cash buy a nice Ducati for street, and something like a Suzuki SV650 to start your track day career. If you like it and progress you'll be able to sell the small bike and get a faster bike latter. You can usually find a good track SV for $2500 or a little less. If you don't like track riding you can sell and probably not lose any cash.
Good advice, I will say I had zero TD experience prior to the purchase of my 848. But I did put 5k miles on before I brought it to the track.

I know this is “controversial” IMHO tracking a harder to ride bike can make you a better rider (can), I’ve seen 300s and 1000s go down, learning to be a good rider is physical, mental and the bike. I’m willing to bet if I got on an comparable Japanese stock bike I’d be 3 seconds faster on my average lap times.

But absolutely nothing wrong with your advice and it’s probably exactly what the experts would say, and I’m no expert just a guy with lots of opinions, many of them “wrong” lol

If the OP is dead set on either of these bikes I’d still say go with the 1098, but like I said before there has to be more 848s I see them all the time 6-8k.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Good advice, I will say I had zero TD experience prior to the purchase of my 848. But I did put 5k miles on before I brought it to the track.

I know this is “controversial” IMHO tracking a harder to ride bike can make you a better rider (can), I’ve seen 300s and 1000s go down, learning to be a good rider is physical, mental and the bike. I’m willing to bet if I got on an comparable Japanese stock bike I’d be 3 seconds faster on my average lap times.

But absolutely nothing wrong with your advice and it’s probably exactly what the experts would say, and I’m no expert just a guy with lots of opinions, many of them “wrong” lol

If the OP is dead set on either of these bikes I’d still say go with the 1098, but like I said before there has to be more 848s I see them all the time 6-8k.
Sounds fair Tyler, would be easier to advise the op if we actually new them. East coast TD newbies would most likely high side their selves with either Ducati, and no one in Cali. does rain TD's. I would still recommend nice Ducati for street and cheap Japanese small bike to start track days, then get a nice Ducati to track latter, maybe even a sweet match set:yo: your set up is bad ass.

·
Court Jester
11,606 Posts
Sounds fair Tyler, would be easier to advise the op if we actually new them. East coast TD newbies would most likely high side their selves with either Ducati, and no one in Cali. does rain TD's. I would still recommend nice Ducati for street and cheap Japanese small bike to start track days, then get a nice Ducati to track latter, maybe even a sweet match set:yo: your set up is bad ass.
I know I’m jinxing myself.. Every year you have typically two types that go off. The over confident newbs and the over confident “experts”.

My first TD ever was rain all day and it’s probably really good that it was...

Fast forward 5 years later my brother in-law (we started TDs together) who only works 3 days a week volunteers corner work and has gotten in deep with the crowd. Me on the other had I’m very introverted in person and I do work 5 days a week :/. Anyhow... you know some people riding is natural I think I’m one of them and my bro in-law not so much.. I’m not saying I’m expert.. but back to my story we were at a track we don’t go to often. It was drizzle in the morning and this track is notorious for a couple spots that may not dry up all day and have moss.. First session I’m suggesting we sit out, he’s all amped to go. He says let’s just just do a sighting lap... I’m like fine.. I get my helmet on turn around and he is at the entry... I get to entry he is gone, I get to turn 6 and he is down with a broken collarbone... he of all people knows the importance of riding on cold tires, and still insists he wasn’t going fast..

I have to give this forum a lot of credit in not only helping me mechanically on the bike, but my riding skill just as much. Not only full gear all the time but good gear. When I broke my collarbone on the surface street (full gear) I stepped up to an air suit. I also do not go more than two TDs on a set of tires I don’t care if there is more life in the tire, confidence is very important.

I guess what I’m saying East or west you have the riders that have too much bike, too much ego, or both. I try to stay humble and respectful of the bike.

And wow having a good instructor is huge! I’m still in awe of my instructor last year, he would be sliding around corners at a pace I couldn’t touch..

I will never go away from the 848 but I do wonder how I’d do on another make.

·
Registered
327 Posts
After riding on the track with my 1098 for the last 4 years I agree with you 100 percent , I think the 848 would have made a better track bike for me especially at smaller tracks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Hey guys, thanks for the input. A little bit about me. This will be my 5th bike and first Ducati. I've customs, and sport bikes. I had an R6 that I'd take to TD's up at Pacific Raceway in Seattle and have done them in the rain too. I'm by no means a pro but not a newbie either. Just a guy that likes to have fun on bikes. Track day's won't be too many, but if I get the urge, I'll go. Mainly city, back road and canyons for me. This is a great page with lots of good advice though. Thank yu for not beating me up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess what I’m saying East or west you have the riders that have too much bike, too much ego, or both. I try to stay humble and respectful of the bike.

I agree with this 100% I always stay a little bit afraid of my bikes just so I don't get too cocky.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts